How to successfully configure Evolution Email for Gmail OAuth2 Login in Linux Mint 20

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pharmankur
Level 1
Level 1

How to successfully configure Evolution Email for Gmail OAuth2 Login in Linux Mint 20

Post by pharmankur »

I am using Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon and Gnome Evolution Mail Client 3.36.5
Recently after some policy changes by Google Mail, my Evolution could not login to my gmail account and keep giving error message like ...

Code: Select all

-----
You can’t sign in because GNOME Evolution sent an invalid request.
You can try again later, or contact the developer about this issue. Learn more about this error
If you are a developer of GNOME Evolution, see error details.
Error 400: invalid_request
-----
It was very irritating and I wanted Evolution to work with GMAIL again. I searched EVOLUTION forums, Github etc but was not getting any solution. Someone suggested to upgrade Evolution to Ver 3.44 etc. but on Linux Mint official Repo it was not available and some reviews suggested even latest Ver also doesn't work with google authentication.

SURPRISINGLY and ACCIDENTALLY I found a working solution and now I am able to use Gmail with my EVOLUTION without upgrading.

In Linux Mint --> From Start Menu --> Go to "Online Accounts" --> Go to Add an account --> Select GOOGLE --> Provide your Gmail ID and Complete authentication process.

Once the authentication is done in "Gnome Online Accounts" ;

Go to Evolution Email --> YOU WILL FIND YOUR Gmail ACCOUNT IS ALREADY LISTED AND WORKING FLAWLESSLY without asking for any further authentication !!!

Cheers ... :D :lol: :)
Last edited by LockBot on Sun May 21, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rgb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to successfully configure Evolution Email for Gmail OAuth2 Login in Linux Mint 20

Post by rgb »

This method worked for me!!

Running on both Ubuntu 20.04-Pro-Fips and Mint 20 Ulyana using evolution 3.36.5-0ubuntu1 on both.

I tried several email packages without luck - setting up evolution directly didn't work. Using the online accounts method worked perfectly on both machines. I should try to see what settings differ from the direct install - but for now "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth". I had tried several email packages without any luck - T-bird, sendmail, etc. Tried all the recommended settings and never had working out-going server, some incoming mail did get thru.

Someone needs to get together with google and update the install instructions.
zamlet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to successfully configure Evolution Email for Gmail OAuth2 Login in Linux Mint 20

Post by zamlet »

THANK YOU for posting this! I couldn't make it work either until I went through this process!

Just one small update:
pharmankur wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:28 pm In Linux Mint --> From Start Menu --> Go to "Online Accounts" --> Go to Add an account --> Select GOOGLE --> Provide your Gmail ID and Complete authentication process.
On my machine (Mint 20.3), I had to modify this slightly to:
In Linux Mint --> From Start Menu --> Preferences --> Go to "Online Accounts" --> Go to Add an account --> Select GOOGLE --> Provide your Gmail ID and Complete authentication process.

Thanks again!
"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
Tosh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tosh »

Have had the Gmail OAuth2 warning on both my Windows and Linux machines several times but I use Thunderbird. No help on either Thunderbird or Google but I have found that if I go into set up and experiment ticking or unticking options the problem gets sorted. On one occasion I had to remove the recent: from in front of my user name for a few months and then when the warning came back replace it.

All very annoying.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”