Kernel 5.15.0-56 is out!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Kernel 5.15.0-56 is out!

Post by billyswong »

Those who fail to boot into kernel 5.15.0-53 can update kernel now. From changelog http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs ... /changelog

Code: Select all

* 5.15.0-53-generic no longer boots (LP: #1996740)
    - drm/amd/display: Add helper for blanking all dp displays
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Kernel 5.15.0-56 is out!

Post by exploder »

Thanks for posting this. Now at least I know why one of my monitors will not go into power save. Super minor issue but I had not figured out why, now at least I know why.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I update kernels automatically, I never miss one.
S4qFBxkFFg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by S4qFBxkFFg »

Kernel panic whenever I boot into it!

That's two bad kernels in a row...
Mint 21.1 Vera, XFCE
KYDean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KYDean »

And had to revert back to 5.15.0-53 as 56 was crashing/freezing my system.

I don't understand why we're not at least to the 5.19 level yet let alone 6 and playing games with bad kernel updates in 5.15 which should have be fixed ages ago.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

KYDean wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:30 am And had to revert back to 5.15.0-53 as 56 was crashing/freezing my system.

I don't understand why we're not at least to the 5.19 level yet let alone 6 and playing games with bad kernel updates in 5.15 which should have be fixed ages ago.
5.15 is last year's longterm kernel in upstream. This year's longterm kernel is going to be 6.1.

While Ubuntu provided 2 "oem" lineage 5.17 and 6.0 for 22.04LTS so far, I think they will wait for 6.1 for the "hwe" package.
KYDean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KYDean »

5.15 is last year's longterm kernel in upstream. This year's longterm kernel is going to be 6.1.

While Ubuntu provided 2 "oem" lineage 5.17 and 6.0 for 22.04LTS so far, I think they will wait for 6.1 for the "hwe" package.

And considering the amount of issues in 5.15 over all across distro's it would have made more sense to upgrade over putting out bad kernel updates to an already issue prone kernel.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

KYDean wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:03 am And considering the amount of issues in 5.15 over all across distro's it would have made more sense to upgrade over putting out bad kernel updates to an already issue prone kernel.
A few reasons I can think of:
  1. Kernel upgrade can break support of old hardware. If patch number update break such support, one can report it as regression and hope for a fix. If a major/minor number upgrade break such support, it can be intentional and no fix is going to happen.
  2. Ubuntu already provides optional .deb packages (kernel 5.17 and 6.0) to upgrade kernel for new hardware under the name "oem". Asking people in trouble to upgrade by themselves is better than pushing some other people from usable PC into forever broken PC.
  3. For non-longterm kernel versions, the upstream support is short. If Ubuntu upgrades the "hwe" kernel of LTS distro to them, Ubuntu will need to backport many security fixes by themselves for many years. Therefore Ubuntu 22.10 provides kernel 5.19 by default but they don't give it to 22.04 LTS. There is no long term support promise for Ubuntu 22.10 so it can afford a more upgraded kernel without much extra burden.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

billyswong wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:02 am Ubuntu already provides optional .deb packages (kernel 5.17 and 6.0) to upgrade kernel for new hardware under the name "oem".
As the Ubuntu repos are present in Mint, so does Mint:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-oem-22.04b
..... which should give you the 6.0.x kernel. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
KYDean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KYDean »

billyswong wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:02 am
KYDean wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:03 am And considering the amount of issues in 5.15 over all across distro's it would have made more sense to upgrade over putting out bad kernel updates to an already issue prone kernel.
A few reasons I can think of:
  1. Kernel upgrade can break support of old hardware. If patch number update break such support, one can report it as regression and hope for a fix. If a major/minor number upgrade break such support, it can be intentional and no fix is going to happen.
  2. Ubuntu already provides optional .deb packages (kernel 5.17 and 6.0) to upgrade kernel for new hardware under the name "oem". Asking people in trouble to upgrade by themselves is better than pushing some other people from usable PC into forever broken PC.
  3. For non-longterm kernel versions, the upstream support is short. If Ubuntu upgrades the "hwe" kernel of LTS distro to them, Ubuntu will need to backport many security fixes by themselves for many years. Therefore Ubuntu 22.10 provides kernel 5.19 by default but they don't give it to 22.04 LTS. There is no long term support promise for Ubuntu 22.10 so it can afford a more upgraded kernel without much extra burden.
Yes and Ubuntu already provides it...As another poster pointed out to you as well. Ubuntu even stated they were providing the other kernels because of the issues in 5.15 so they could be used instead.... So.........

So your concern is breaking old hardware but have no problem breaking new hardware. Got it. And there hasn't been any widespread breakage of older hardware on the newer kernels, none. So your excuses here are based on what exactly? Nothing, but conjecture apparently.

My concern in life isn't about old hardware anyhow. Maybe it's long past time to tell people they need to start updating their hardware instead of worrying about a 15 year old laptop that someone has. I'm not a fan of Linux brings old hardware to life. No it doesn't and it shouldn't.

None of what you mention is any excuse to continue using a bad kernel, none of it. TBH, I also don't understand your response to me in the first place. Perhaps you thought I was a noob and were going to school me on things. I've been using Linux since 1999 btw. I've just grown old, lazy and tired in my later years and tinkering and having to compile things for sound isn't has much fun as it used to be.

BTW, I'm also running the 6 kernel on another instance of Linux Mint and it's working just fine. Even put it on the LMDE, and no issues. But then I'm also not worried about if my modem is connecting to AOL for internet access.

Your post though about Ubuntu and hwe, lts, longterm this and that is a perfect example of why LM should ditch Ubuntu all together and just focus on LMDE. You're stuck in this notion that only certain things can be used, when the reality is almost anything can be used.

Thank you though for your response, I think I've gleaned all I can possible achieve from this conversation with you.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

KYDean wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:30 am [...]

Your post though about Ubuntu and hwe, lts, longterm this and that is a perfect example of why LM should ditch Ubuntu all together and just focus on LMDE. You're stuck in this notion that only certain things can be used, when the reality is almost anything can be used.

Thank you though for your response, I think I've gleaned all I can possible achieve from this conversation with you.
Thank you for discussing your experience to me. I was a user of LMDE too. But after the LMDE Mate variant was cut off, I decided it doesn't worth the hassle to install and config a non-default combination (and get less support if problem occurs) so I switched to mainstream LM for Mate desktop.

LMDE 5 is based on Debian 11 which takes kernel 5.10 as default. It is also a longterm kernel upstream, just one year older. I don't understand why you think LMDE will be inherently better in kernel stability/performance than current Ubuntu-based LM, aside from the longterm kernel of 2020 happens to be stabler than the longterm kernel of 2021 by chance. LMDE requires people to install backports kernels manually. LM requires people to install oem/hwe kernels manually. They are the same in this regard. Who knows. Maybe in next iteration, LM 22 will get a stable kernel while LMDE 6 will get a buggy kernel.

In contrast, both provide users a supported path to kernel 6.0. So your initial comment of "why we're not at least to the 5.19 level yet let alone 6" invited me to write a bunch of explanation, focusing on why an organization won't break their own promise vowed for over a decade. Neither Debian Stable nor Ubuntu are rolling release distributions. Same for Linux Mint. They will not push an upgraded kernel to users without users explicitly asking for it.

Oh yeah, this reminds me there were a time LMDE based itself on Debian Testing. Ye good olde days... Your advocate is effectively asking for LInux Mint to pursue that route again. Technically it is possible but I don't think it will happen.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

KYDean wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:30 amAs another poster pointed out to you as well. Ubuntu even stated they were providing the other kernels because of the issues in 5.15 so they could be used instead....
Where did you read that in this topic?

Ubuntu does not put out the OEM kernels because of issues with LTS kernels. OEM kernels are for a different market. They are compiled for hardware that has come out since the LTS kernel was released for which OEMs want to offer Ubuntu pre-installed on their hardware.

For those with newer hardware that might need newer drivers or features included in newer kernels, we advise people to use the OEM kernels because they are currently the only Canonical-maintained kernels newer than 5.15 available for LM21. Perceived "bugginess" is not relevant to making the recommendation. When there are problems we advise people to report the bug and stay on the older kernel until the fix is released.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
KYDean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KYDean »

SMG wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:56 pm
KYDean wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:30 amAs another poster pointed out to you as well. Ubuntu even stated they were providing the other kernels because of the issues in 5.15 so they could be used instead....
Where did you read that in this topic?

Ubuntu does not put out the OEM kernels because of issues with LTS kernels. OEM kernels are for a different market. They are compiled for hardware that has come out since the LTS kernel was released for which OEMs want to offer Ubuntu pre-installed on their hardware.

For those with newer hardware that might need newer drivers or features included in newer kernels, we advise people to use the OEM kernels because they are currently the only Canonical-maintained kernels newer than 5.15 available for LM21. Perceived "bugginess" is not relevant to making the recommendation. When there are problems we advise people to report the bug and stay on the older kernel until the fix is released.
There's nothing perceived about the "buggines" in the 5.15 kernel, there are complaints across distro's reporting problems with it. This many people on this many distro's is not perceived. And a simple google search tells you that they acknowledge there are problems with the 5.15 kernel.

I never said for people to go off the LMDE kernel, I am however using the 6 kernel with no issues. I was merely making a point to the other poster. I was not saying for everyone to go into their system and change the kernel. I did not imply that at all in my statement.

I understand you advise what you do and why, I however will not stay on a kernel that is having my system crash. That's me.
KYDean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KYDean »

billyswong wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:27 pm
KYDean wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:30 am [...]

Thank you for discussing your experience to me. I was a user of LMDE too. But after the LMDE Mate variant was cut off, I decided it doesn't worth the hassle to install and config a non-default combination (and get less support if problem occurs) so I switched to mainstream LM for Mate desktop.

LMDE 5 is based on Debian 11 which takes kernel 5.10 as default. It is also a longterm kernel upstream, just one year older. I don't understand why you think LMDE will be inherently better in kernel stability/performance than current Ubuntu-based LM, aside from the longterm kernel of 2020 happens to be stabler than the longterm kernel of 2021 by chance. LMDE requires people to install backports kernels manually. LM requires people to install oem/hwe kernels manually. They are the same in this regard. Who knows. Maybe in next iteration, LM 22 will get a stable kernel while LMDE 6 will get a buggy kernel.

In contrast, both provide users a supported path to kernel 6.0. So your initial comment of "why we're not at least to the 5.19 level yet let alone 6" invited me to write a bunch of explanation, focusing on why an organization won't break their own promise vowed for over a decade. Neither Debian Stable nor Ubuntu are rolling release distributions. Same for Linux Mint. They will not push an upgraded kernel to users without users explicitly asking for it.

Oh yeah, this reminds me there were a time LMDE based itself on Debian Testing. Ye good olde days... Your advocate is effectively asking for LInux Mint to pursue that route again. Technically it is possible but I don't think it will happen.
You clearly don't take a hint.
I don't care, I'm done having a discussion with you. I do hope that is plain enough for you.
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to comply with forum rules
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Where's the offense in what billyswong wrote? It's just a helpful explanation to me. I'm truly puzzled. :?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

KYDean wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:14 pmThere's nothing perceived about the "buggines" in the 5.15 kernel, there are complaints across distro's reporting problems with it. This many people on this many distro's is not perceived. And a simple google search tells you that they acknowledge there are problems with the 5.15 kernel.
Linux Mint Main Edition is using kernels altered and maintained by Canonical. They are not using the mainline kernel which other distros are using so I'm not sure how what you found on your internet searches about other distros is relevant to this discussion.
KYDean wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:14 pmI never said for people to go off the LMDE kernel
The LMDE kernel is not relevant to this discussion. I never mentioned it so I do not know why you are telling me that. LMDE runs on the 5.10 mainline kernel.

This topic, as per its title, discusses the kernels for Linux Mint Main Edition which runs on the Ubuntu base. The 5.15.0-56 kernel exists only for those distros using Ubuntu bases and that kernel. It does not apply to LMDE.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Agentl074
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Agentl074 »

At this time, I'm using an old Asus laptop (former Windows 7 machine) using Intel Core I5 and it runs perfectly fine on 5.15.0.56 using Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3.
Indiana University Alumnus, CompTIA A+

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”