Linux Mint 21.1 Beta... Has anyone been trying this out?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Linux Mint 21.1 Beta... Has anyone been trying this out?

Post by Portreve »

I didn't even realize Clem & Co. had iterated 21.1 yet, but then I ran across this post and after watching Thor Hartmannsson's video, I decided to check it out. I just installed it in a VM a few minutes ago and so far it looks pretty smooth and fluid. Some of the new visual defaults are kind of interesting, and I'm trying to leave as many alone as I can, but I just cannot abide the default icon set, so I've already changed it to Mint X Aqua.

Anyone else here have any experiences they'd like to comment on?
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 21.1 Beta... Has anyone been trying this out?

Post by SMG »

Portreve wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:30 pm I didn't even realize Clem & Co. had iterated 21.1 yet,
Clem posted in the Releases & Announcements forum about the blog posts for all three of the beta releases. You can read more about the changes in the links in the blog posts.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I have it up & running as a VirtualBox guest, but modified to my standard settings from my Mint 20.3 daily driver - as that is what I want to do with it once it goes live.
Hence I have not really taken advantage (?) of the new Themes. :D
It does seem to be working a treat so far though..
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

20.3 is my daily system, I ditched 21 a while back, but am now running 21.1 in tandem with the 20.3

so far all is good :)
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

It works fine for me. Its my daily system and I have yet to experience any bugs or errros.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Still so far, so good with 21.1 beta.

I just had a learning experience with VirtualBox.

I decided to install the latest version (7.0.4 as of this writing) and so I did an uninstall of the previous one along with deleting all files and I kept getting this error when I would try to LAUNCH a virtual machine:

I wanted to post over on Oracle's VirtualBox forums but you have to set up an account that includes the business and all that, and I'm just a private person, so just as I was about to post a help request over here in the Software section, I was reading elsewhere and eventually found that doing a sudo apt-get purge virtualbox* did the trick. I'd already done that but without the wildcard character, and that took everything out *except for* the kernel modules. Once I added the *, that killed those, too, and then I could do a re-install and everything has been fine since.

Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Coggy »

I just installed it on both my laptop (amd) and my desktop (nvidia). Apart from the Desktop Cube extension and the laptop fingerprint reader not working (didn't work in Vanessa either) everything seems to work perfectly. A very uneventful installation. I'm very happy with it. Thank you to the developers.

Can I assume that if I just keep updating, I will end up with the released version of Vera eventually?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Coggy wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:17 pmCan I assume that if I just keep updating, I will end up with the released version of Vera eventually?
That is the intended plan.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I don't do in-place OS upgrades unless, figuratively speaking, there's a gun to my head.

I'll happily wait until it's released, and then install it.

rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

If I can, I like to progressively upgrade where possible - to see what breaks. Generally everything integrates by then.
Reading through the new stuff it should be interesting, especially for those of us on highly customised Mint Xfce. I'll be watching this space :)
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Portreve wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:56 pm I don't do in-place OS upgrades unless, figuratively speaking, there's a gun to my head.

I'll happily wait until it's released, and then install it.
I got the official MATE 21.1 download as soon as I saw it announced.
So far it seems very stable and I like everything about it.
Not much into eye-candy but I have to say MATE 21.1 looks nice ootb.
I'll wait for stable to love cinn and xfce

My normal routine--install and use the beta on a sacrificial partition.
When stable is released it gets a fresh install on a different partition.
The beta install is then used to test the in-place upgrade--I compare this with the fresh install.
Eventually the beta upgrade partition will be reused for 21.2 rinse, repeat
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Portreve wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:56 pm I don't do in-place OS upgrades unless, figuratively speaking, there's a gun to my head.
Well, in-place upgrading within a particular Mint series, like the 21 series, is safe. Because the underlying Ubuntu code base (Mint 21 series: Ubuntu 22.04) remains identical.

So there is practically no risk at all to such an in-place upgrade. And I only add the qualification "practically" because I like to err on the side of caution. :mrgreen:

Been running an in-place upgraded system (from 21 to 21.1) since even before the bèta came out officially (about a week before that). Cinnamon edition, two machines. Flawless.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Pjotr wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:52 am And I only add the qualification "practically" because I like to err on the side of caution. :mrgreen:
I often tend to do more of the 'err' than the 'caution' . . . :D
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

*** I did the " upgrade" via
sudo mintupgrade after installing it via sudo apt install mintupgrade -y

I also had sense enough to backup my /home partition ( yes..separate partition) AND do a system image clone of not only before I did the partition separation of /home and / in Mint 20.3, but also a separate system but Mint 20.3 with /home on a separate partition.just in case. A few days running ok does not mean automatically that it's a sure thing. Crap happens and such a short time of using something new should be taken cautiously.

I've been using it for a few days now and so far it's been rock solid overall.

In fact some odd " gtk parsing error" messages I was getting when launching my inxi.sh bashscript to prep to post inxi system info, vanished ( they were related to something with nemo and something else..unsure what at that time)

99% of everything just works so far. I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed.

Now truth be told , I had to ditch the openshot-qt ( terminal -ly installed option I used to have in Mint 20.3 and older) for the flatpak version of Openshot via software manager, BUT it remembered everything of my custom setup launching it in 20% increased fractional scalling aka slightly bigger font's mode, where to save my Exported projects...etc

Even the odd minor bug that basically only I would notice and care about of editing a Panel item while the pane was in Autohide mode=- stretching those center items..... Doesn't happen anymore.

I had to nuke blueman and bluez, but I figured that ahead of time
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Installed it to an externally 'thunderbolt' connected SSD
Installation was trouble free.
Installed system is really smooth. I too, do not favour the new look.
Installed Wine and that went well for the apps I use
I'd have no trouble recommending it
Nice work
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:56 am *** I did the " upgrade" via
sudo mintupgrade after installing it via sudo apt install mintupgrade -y

I also had sense enough to backup my /home partition ( yes..separate partition) AND do a system image clone of not only before I did the partition separation of /home and / in Mint 20.3, but also a separate system but Mint 20.3 with /home on a separate partition.just in case. A few days running ok does not mean automatically that it's a sure thing. Crap happens and such a short time of using something new should be taken cautiously.
This topic is about running the LM21.1 beta. It seems your post is about your experience in upgrading from LM20.3 to LM21. Or am I misunderstanding?
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I have been happy with LM Cinnamon 21 for about a month on my laptop so I went ahead and installed 21.1 Beta on my daily driver PC.
21.1 Beta is for the most part the same with a few minor cosmetic changes.
21.1 Beta is using slightly more RAM 2.08 GiB vs 1.81GiB - could be the PC vs laptop and a slightly different package mix
Overall the performance is basically the same for both and not really distinguishable from 20.3
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I've been using the Mint 21.1 Xfce for about two weeks now. It's beta, but I haven't seen any perceptible issue, or even difference in the previous version in terms of strange, quirky things happening, and all those sorts of things all OSes have, including commercial ones.

I appreciate some visual improvements, though, like folders looking more like folders in the file manager.

I never use or try any Linux releases on virtual machines. I install them on a separate partition. I can always delete it without harming the neighboring OSes (Win10, 2 more Mint Xfce's.) Been doing this for years and have managed to solve any issue that comes up. And I still also use Grub Customizer.

What I've been wondering about is whether if there has been any issue upgrading from a beta to the new version. (I'd prefer to reinstall, which just takes less than 30 minutes for me.)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

What I've been wondering about is whether if there has been any issue upgrading from a beta to the new version. (I'd prefer to reinstall, which just takes less than 30 minutes for me.)
I upgraded one of my PC's to 21.1 this morning. Worked just fine!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

exploder wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:41 pm
I upgraded one of my PC's to 21.1 this morning. Worked just fine!
This seems to imply there is an upgrade path to 21.1 before
stable is released -- as worded
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”