Installing Mint (my way)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Installing Mint (my way)

Post by RollyShed »

It might be noted I don't make a password a requirement for bootup, unless someone specifically wants it. In some situations, in an office for privacy possibly, yes. Otherwise, unless everything is encrypted, everything is easily viewable. Use a USB stick and boot it. If no password on bootup, the first thing is no password on Screensave to keep things easy.
I also in a text file called PW put in the Documents folder, put the User Name and Password. If installing an app, copy & paste and there will be no typos.

If a user wants to remove this text file at a later date, it is up to them. As so many lose passwords, forget which they are using for what, this might help... maybe.

Next step, set up email using Firefox. Enter about:logins in the address bar and the enter the supplier, email address, password. Note, click the wee eye icon to see what is being typed.

I have on a stick, tied with string, to the installation stick, some code to copy & paste into the Terminal for the removal of foreign language fonts. This stick also has my preferred wallpaper, dictionary .oxt, pagination .oxt (allows page numbers centre bottom of a page), MMC .deb file (to easily convert video and audio file types), a song (Workers Song by Dick Gaughan) to check audio and a video the check how well Celluloid is working and then set VLC as the preferred app.

Chromium is usually installed and booted, making sure that Continue is clicked on twice during the first bootup. If not there will be a Keyring problem.

Fonts, MS ones, installed from the Software Manager making sure to tick the wee box halfway through installation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

kenetics wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:48 am That's about what I'll do with my Cinnamon desktop computer when my new SSD arrives. (Except for the proper English and NZ dictionary :mrgreen:)
I wish they would get access to Webster's Dictionary.

I really Detest that damn British version
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

1, I always pre-partition first before installing, and especially so on MBR partitioned disks to avoid the unnecessary boot partition

2, I never connect to internet while installing, all that does is get you some more language (useless) downloads, and takes longer. Just did a test 8 minutes to install Mint 21 while connected to internet, and 3 minutes to install not connected. (I did not measure the seconds, so little +/-)
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Installing Mint Cinnamon 21.1 on my new 500 GB SSD went well. No problems encountered. I did set up a swap partition, although I've since read that it is better to use a swap file instead. No matter, as I have plenty of memory.

Cinnamon 21.1 is very nice and well worth upgrading to. I did have to download one of the user supplied themes (Adara-Dark) in order to get a properly dark panel and menu to match my desktop.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”