Installing Mint (my way)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Installing Mint (my way)

Post by MurphCID »

Installing Mint (my way)
ow I install Mint.

This is how I do it, you will install differently depending on what you want and need in Linux.

1st step- get the computer. This is sort of important to have a computer. I tried installing Mint on a stove but it did not work. Same with the washing machine. So get a computer. I use laptops for my computers with Linux Mint so this applies to my laptops usage.

2nd step- burn the .iso- I use Rufus on Windows. I have all my .iso files on my windows machines.

3rd step- insert the drive, and boot into the drive.

4th step- I select installation, I seldom test unless it is a distro I have no experience with at all.

5th Step- Activate either WiFi or plug in the Ethernet cable so I have internet access.

6th step- Load the distro. Once you are loaded, and it tells you to reboot and remove the installation medium, do so.

7th step- Welcome screen comes up. I open a terminal and immediately do the following things:
"sudo apt remove --purge libreoffice* firefox* thunderbird*"
"sudo apt install htop tlp neofetch (if not installed)"
sudo start tlp add systemclt for tlp
"sudo apt install linux-oem-22.04(x) where "X" is the the "c" version"
Reboot

8th step- Go to welcome screen and activate modern look. NOTE on upgrades, you will not see the two bars on the screen, unless and until you go into welcome and activate modern look, I found this out completely by trial and error.

9th step- Activate firewall, do updates, etc. Install Libreoffice, Firefox, Chrome, Zoom, Thunderbird as flatpaks from software center. Install MS Core fonts, and GParted.

10th step- install my documents/wallpapers/etc from my USB-C drive which works well under 21.1, not so well under 21 on certain laptops.

11th step- Theme, and set wallpaper. Easy and quick.

12th step- check for issues such as WiFi, USB-C, etc.

DONE!

I never install along side another OS, I only use Linux on Linux computers, Windows on my Windows computers. Total time to do all of the above: 20-30 minutes maximum. Compare to 2-6 hours for a Windows install and configuration.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Installing Mint (my way)

Post by AZgl1800 »

Welcome Murph,
and it is interesting that you purge the major apps first, before you do the updates.
I never bothered, I always do the Updates 1st

and I delete and blacklist Thunderbird immediately
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Artim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Artim »

I deleted Firefox and Thunderbird and replaced them with Seamonkey from a PPA. Then customize my Xfce desktop a bit, transparent horizontal panel on the bottom (kinda looks like a Mac, though I've never had a Mac), no desktop icons, favorite fonts, that's about it, then update.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Artim wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:08 pm I deleted Firefox and Thunderbird and replaced them with Seamonkey from a PPA. Then customize my Xfce desktop a bit, transparent horizontal panel on the bottom (kinda looks like a Mac, though I've never had a Mac), no desktop icons, favorite fonts, that's about it, then update.
That's close to what I do with Mint Xfce. I move the panel to the top and add a Plank bar to the bottom. I keep Firefox for banking and bill paying (no saved passwords). I don't use Thunderbird. I suppose I should delete it. I'm using DuckDuckGo for a search engine.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I always have unallocated space on my hard drive/s and I can install a new release anytime without disturbing the neighboring partitions, which included Win 10. Of course, it always messes up the boot list when the installation is done and then restarted, but I have my own solution for that. Over time I would delete the previous version. Xfce Edition is my choice of distro.

I don't do a lot of changes on the appearance nowadays and just leave the defaults alone. What I would do is turn on the Firewall, set some power saving mode via Power Manager, uncheck the lock screen, install the software needed. Then put shortcuts of mostly needed programs on the favorites, then taskbar panel. I would also add panel items like Places, Workspace Switcher, some Separators and lastly, Action Buttons, which I setup as Suspend, Shut Down and Restart unchecking the rest. I also set the Time to LCD, uncheck 24 hrs, and check Display seconds.

About a year now I started putting the Taskbar on top because I realized it's closer to eye level. I also move icons on the right side of the panel, including the start Menu, place some system icons that can be moved on the left side.

I never like the Mac style. I've always felt that whoever came up with that design is a marketing guy and not really a power user. It didn't make sense to me. Of course, many people were duped and thought it made sense. It's Mac! Either they (icons) should be on the left or right side of the taskbar panel, and the blank spaces should be left for active windows indication. What is more sensible than that?
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

I always make sure no Flatpaks are installed then purge Flatpak support.

Obviously, I have to install the nVidia drivers and Realtek drivers or I won't have WiFi.

Then I open the Language setting and remove all the other English variants except British English and I add full Japanese support.

I update LibreOffice from the LibreOffice Fresh PPA and update Thunderbird from the TeamMozilla PPA.

I purge all the extra foreign language and help packs from LibreOffice and all the non English and non Japanese fonts. This is very time consuming and I don't understand why they get installed when you install the system in English!

Then I add Cinnamenu to replace the standard Mint Menu and customise it to my liking.

Lastly, I install any extra apps I need: GWaei, QBittorrent from their PPA, Gimp, and others...

Panel goes to the top how it was in OS/2 Warp 4, and I change the arrangement of some of the entries. Time must be in 24 hour mode with full day and date and seconds.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

With my experience in taking the Upgrade Path from LM20.3 Cinnamon to LM21.1 now,
I think that my days of a Fresh Install are over.
( barring I don't have to change my Daily Driver )

I really loved how most of my Preferences were retained.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:04 pm With my experience in taking the Upgrade Path from LM20.3 Cinnamon to LM21.1 now,

Did you use the graphical method (sudo apt install mintupgrade)?
I need to upgrade Mint Xfce from 20.3 and Cinnamon 20.3 to 21.1, and may try that.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

kenetics wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:29 am
AZgl1800 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:04 pm With my experience in taking the Upgrade Path from LM20.3 Cinnamon to LM21.1 now,

Did you use the graphical method (sudo apt install mintupgrade)?
I need to upgrade Mint Xfce from 20.3 and Cinnamon 20.3 to 21.1, and may try that.
I followed Clem's Instructions in his Blog, you will have to look back.

I used this:
https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... nt-21.html

but i found this REF: also
https://www.linuxtechi.com/how-to-upgra ... w-version/
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Quick question on Mint Xfce:

Is there a way to make a shortcut ICON of a specific folder in the directory tree ON THE PANEL or taskbar?

The reason is self-explanatory. Same reason why we add icons of mostly-used programs on the panel, to have ONE-CLICK option and not have to wade through a maze of extra clicks and so on. Yes you can make a shortcut on the desktop, but when a maximized window is open everything will be hidden from view.

(I thought of making a thread about this, but thought it's a simple yes or no question...Thanks for any reply in advanced.)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

thom_A wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:52 pm Quick question on Mint Xfce:

Is there a way to make a shortcut ICON of a specific folder in the directory tree ON THE PANEL or taskbar?

The reason is self-explanatory. Same reason why we add icons of mostly-used programs on the panel, to have ONE-CLICK option and not have to wade through a maze of extra clicks and so on. Yes you can make a shortcut on the desktop, but when a maximized window is open everything will be hidden from view.

(I thought of making a thread about this, but thought it's a simple yes or no question...Thanks for any reply in advanced.)
In Cinnamon, you highlight the icon or folder, and press Control-M and that creates a Shortcut that you can Drag/Drop somewhere

I only use, and am familiar with Cinnamon, I never use any other DE
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

thom_A wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:52 pm Quick question on Mint Xfce:

The question is quick but the answer isn't. The panel is expected to contain "launcher". Meanwhile, the "shortcut" you put on desktop is probably a special file type called "symbolic link". You need to create "launcher" for panel.

Method 1:
Menu > right click on "Thunar File Manager" > Add to Panel. Then right click that extra Thunar launcher on panel > Properties > Edit. Modify the "Working Directory" to the folder you want to open. Edit also the "Name" , "Icon" etc if one wish. Repeat the whole process for each folder you want to link to.

Method 2:
Right click panel > panel > add new items. Select "Places", click Add. Now you will get a equivalent of the side pane in Thunar with all the locations accessible without opening Thunar at home folder first. To add extra shortcut to that Thunar side pane or the Places menu, open ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks and edit that text file.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:07 pmIn Cinnamon, you highlight the icon or folder, and press Control-M and that creates a Shortcut that you can Drag/Drop somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I started with Cinnamon, but it didn't play well with my nvidia cards when using certain media tools. I gave up searching for solutions.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

billyswong wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:53 pmThe question is quick but the answer isn't. The panel is expected to contain "launcher". Meanwhile, the "shortcut" you put on desktop is probably a special file type called "symbolic link". You need to create "launcher" for panel.

Method 1:
Menu > right click on "Thunar File Manager" > Add to Panel. Then right click that extra Thunar launcher on panel > Properties > Edit. Modify the "Working Directory" to the folder you want to open. Edit also the "Name" , "Icon" etc if one wish. Repeat the whole process for each folder you want to link to.

Method 2:
Right click panel > panel > add new items. Select "Places", click Add. Now you will get a equivalent of the side pane in Thunar with all the locations accessible without opening Thunar at home folder first. To add extra shortcut to that Thunar side pane or the Places menu, open ~/.config/gtk-3.0/bookmarks and edit that text file.
Wonderful! Thanks. It's what I've always needed all these years. Method 1 is sufficient.

I've also just recently discovered you can also put a very populated panel into groups or categories like graphics, office, media, etc., by adding Launcher items on the Panel. Downside is not all of them would be one-click, but that's okay. At least they're clearly laid out in the open, instead of looking for them on the Menu or desktop.

Thanks once again...
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Good topic about "my way"
the very crux of Linux
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

thom_A wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:47 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:07 pmIn Cinnamon, you highlight the icon or folder, and press Control-M and that creates a Shortcut that you can Drag/Drop somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. I started with Cinnamon, but it didn't play well with my nvidia cards when using certain media tools. I gave up searching for solutions.

for almost 2 years, I used the Intel video drivers, and for me, I was unable to tell a difference in resolution or viewing quality on videos

what "fixed it", I think, was when I installed the oem kernel

Kernel: 5.17.0-1026-oem x86_64
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Everyone has a different procedure.

1a - install SSD to replace hard disk

2 - right click on downloaded iso file (on a Linux computer) and Burn USB stick

3a - Set BIOS to USB first item, Legacy, fast boot OFF, secure boot OFF

3b - boot usb stick

4 - there is only on version per stick

6 - user name, password, tick PW OFF for booting,

7a - Screensave PW OFF, 30 minutes, auto-arrange OFF, Panel Classic, do updates
7b - set time and day to logical day name, number, month, time

8 - Firefox - proper English (British), Add-ons - ublock origin and easy youtube downloader, show menu at the top of Firefox. On Desktop add Links to Docs, Download, Music, Pictures, Videos and put them on the desktop

11 - a different wallpaper

12 - remove foreign fonts from LibreOffice, add NZ dictionary, install VLC, Audacity, Audacious, Chromium. Set default audio as Audacious, videos VLC.

Total time, under 1/2 hour. It is 8 minutes to do the install, possibly 3 or 4 minutes for updates. The rest is personal fiddles.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

That's about what I'll do with my Cinnamon desktop computer when my new SSD arrives. (Except for the proper English and NZ dictionary :mrgreen:)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:37 pm "sudo apt install linux-oem-22.04(x) where "X" is the the "c" version"
I don't really think that installing the newest available kernel is necessary or even desirable unless you're installing it on very new hardware.

I don't actually connect to the net while installing, a network failure would bugger things up too much.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:17 amI don't actually connect to the net while installing, a network failure would bugger things up too much.
We have very reliable network connections in these far flung islands. Fibre to the majority of uses.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”