What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Verix
Level 2
Level 2

What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by Verix » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Well hardware compatibility is a given, but it's more of a manufacturers' fault and their lack of support for Linux. For me, it's the lack of automatic major updates for Firefox and other applications.

andrew_D14
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by andrew_D14 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:06 pm

im not a fan of OpenOffice because its so slow and the spreadsheet application is horrible and i have to use it for school a lot.

also, i think the default theme and all the other included themes are hideous but it doesnt matter cause i like to change my desktop a lot

mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm

Blank screen-not screensaver-after every 5 minutes of inactivity, even though power management preferences have been set to "Never".
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

lwhistler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lwhistler » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:51 pm

Choice of default pre-installed applications

Linux Mint - and all Linux OS's for the home market - needs a default easy to use video editor, such as OpenShot http://www.openshotvideo.com Windows has Movie Maker, Mac has iMovie.

I have OpenShot 1.0.0 running on Mint 8 and it is by far the best Linux video editor, way better than Kino, Cinelerra, and Kdenlive - which is a distant 2nd to OpenShot. Go into any Mac store and you will see a lot of people playing around with iMovie.

gravelbay
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gravelbay » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:02 pm

lwhistler wrote:Choice of default pre-installed applications

Linux Mint - and all Linux OS's for the home market - needs a default easy to use video editor, such as OpenShot http://www.openshotvideo.com Windows has Movie Maker, Mac has iMovie.

I have OpenShot 1.0.0 running on Mint 8 and it is by far the best Linux video editor, way better than Kino, Cinelerra, and Kdenlive - which is a distant 2nd to OpenShot. Go into any Mac store and you will see a lot of people playing around with iMovie.
I'm not going to vote because I'm totally satisfied with Mint. There are one or two little things I'd like improved (to my way of thinking, anyway), but nothing worth complaining about.

But...

I agree on the video editor dearth. But, of course, that's not Mint's fault. I think I've tried them all now and they all suck. Most are unstable, all lack features, and Openshot did what no other program has ever done to any Linux box I've ever run. It froze the whole system and I had to kill power to get it going again. I'd pay real money for a real video editor. Right now, I have a $600 one left over from Windows that won't run well in VB or at all WINE. :x Maybe I'll try Cinelerra again. It's been a while. But I guess I'll wait for the 64-bit KDE and get that installed before I do.
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. - C. S. Lewis

Dodge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dodge » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:21 am

I have to agree with the above. The Black Screen after a few minutes of Inactivity blows. It can be a pain.

It definately needs a good Video editor by default. Even though Kdenlive is there to install if you want, it is very unstable. I found Kdenlive to be quite easy to use and does everything I need. Just very unstable and loves to crash.

I am just now getting back into Linux. The last I ran was Mandrake 8. So this is amazing. Linux has really really came along way since Mandrake 8. I'm very impressed with the ease of use, the shortcuts, how you dont have to use command lines as much. Too many things to list here.

I really would like to see a better Photo Editing proggy. Something more like Photoshop. Easy to crop images, and something like Actions in PS. That really speeds things up.

Gotta say I'm very impressed with the newer linux distro's and can see me getting away from Windows completely now.

tekdawg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tekdawg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:01 am

Being new on the scene and not knowing the philosophies behind each distro other then packaging there products to attract a certain type of user, it would appear, and I can only speak for myself, these new distros which are constantly pushing the envelop will no doubt loose a percentage of users with there insistenc on using grub2. The most attractive feature, or I should say the feature that pushed me towards Linux was the fact I could install a distro and always have my windows partition to fall back on. This allowed me to learn at my own pace and if there was something important, I knew I could rely on my windows skill set to get me through. Like anyone else, once I found out about a Mint upgrade I was all over it. The hell I have put myself through is enough to ditch Mint forever. Why there was no warning that first of all grub2 was replacing the normal grub but most important why no warning that every partition on every drive would no longer be accessible. No doubt there must exist a way through this but it most definitely is not easy. To make a long entire weekend fit into one sentence, 750 gig of information down the tube lost in cyber space...and you still cant install a distro that doesn't have grub2 and be able to access it. I realise I'm a little impatient or daring whichever you like but bottom line is, for myself, I HATE GRUB2...I love Mint and I'll be going back to 7.1 but it will now share time with PCLinuxOS...If there exist a simple walk through, I would welcome trying to access these lost partitions otherwise...thank you for giving me a forum to vent my frustrations
Mike

Koninator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Koninator » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:53 am

andrew_D14 wrote:im not a fan of OpenOffice because its so slow and the spreadsheet application is horrible and i have to use it for school a lot.
Same here, i think would be better if Linux Mint had 2.xx version of open office - it works better than 3.xx version.
Or even better some other MS Office Compatible open source program.

speedyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by speedyx » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:57 am

I'm not dissatisfied with anything in linux mint kde.
I love it.
I think the perfect distro for me must be a very stable distro (like debian is) but with the latest STABLE release of applications.
I add to mint repository for the STABLE release of Firefox, Thunderbird, Wine, VLC and KDE.
I will hope a repo for the latest STABLE for amarok and OpenOffice.org.
The freedom technologies are available!

markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:52 am

Since there's nothing I'm dissatisfied with I won't be voting.

There should be an 'I'm satisfied' option in the poll.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Brian49 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:35 am

mzsade wrote:Blank screen-not screensaver-after every 5 minutes of inactivity, even though power management preferences have been set to "Never".
You might like to look at this thread, offering an explanation and a workaround for that issue:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=37376

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:00 pm

Upset? Dissatisfied? Never!...... Well not with anything that the Mint Team has any responsibility over. I mean there are things that are just out of their initial control that hopefully are sorted before the release of the LTS edition in spring.

For example This Motherboard http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=N68PV-GS Under Mint 7.04 (Gloria) and earlier, 6channel sound would be easy via sound preferences from the volume manager.

In Mint 8 however I tolerated the 2 channel sound for 2 weeks, went through every sound post listed wherever I could find it, multiple driver tweaks and re-tweaks, installs and re-installs with no joy. Now like i said this is NOT the mint teams fault, but it is the only thing keeping me from moving up, and i would love to do so very much.

But at the same time Mint isn't other OS's where one can demand a fix or help, so though I am kind of depressed (like a sad panda) that I can't move on, I can still wait patiently until a patch/fix is implemented, or someone comes along and beats me over the head with something that has already been done and I missed, or has the skill to work it out.
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 pm

I am very pleased with Mint 7 Gnome. Would like an easy to configure webcam application for recording video using my webcam that is noted to be usable with Linux..
I love the plain desktop. I have a life and no need for Eye Candy.

Will not upgrade to Mint 8 as Firefox 3.5 is very slow connecting to a site, 40 to 50 seconds. It is the new Firefox application. Not the fault of Mint.

Lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

speedyx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by speedyx » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Simply in the 8 release all is better, but not the older apps like firefox.
I use the ppa repo for firefox stable.
The freedom technologies are available!

subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Funny how my only complaint is Mint's short release cycle. lol

Is that even a complaint? It would probably be more of a complaint if it were a long release cycle.

I might have seconded the vote for some nice video editing software although, that's not really a Mint problem as much as a Linux problem.
There are nice editing options out there, it would just be cool to have everything rolled up in a nice video editing suite of some sort.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:32 pm

I won't be voting to the survey, I am fairly well satisfied with mint, but have decided to stick with mint 7 for a while, until the newer releases shake out a little more (grub2 etc)

I also think the default mix of applications is OK, except I don't need evolution or Thunderbird, I can decide for myself which email/calendar clients I want to use
--and mostly use on-line web clients, which only require a browser to use (same for IM (instant messenger) applications, there are web services for that, no local client application is needed..))

As to the other suggestions about a video editor, NO
--I expect that download would be almost or bigger than OpenOffice, if OpenOffice was not included as a default application, and it is not even all of OpenOffice that is there (on the Mint CD)

Make that desktop experience on first boot, work well for the user..
  • --some applications must be available to have a working/ready to use system
I also think, it is a good idea to have that office application available, and that OpenOffice is probably the best choice, since anything else would be a mix of applications, and that there is no Gnome office available, unlike Kde's Koffice, which is also pretty good
--although Gnome's Gnumeric spreadsheet gets good reviews, but that is only one application in an office suite

Jeff91
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeff91 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Over all I love mint - its my preferred distro - however I voted for "Software installation/removal process" because the new Ubuntu Software Center puts MintInstall to shame.

~Jeff

hemimaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hemimaniac » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Koninator wrote:
andrew_D14 wrote:im not a fan of OpenOffice because its so slow and the spreadsheet application is horrible and i have to use it for school a lot.
Same here, i think would be better if Linux Mint had 2.xx version of open office - it works better than 3.xx version.
Or even better some other MS Office Compatible open source program.
Abiword?
"Linux allows for one thing above all else - 'A user can truly be themselves!'"

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:54 pm

hemimaniac,

I like your choice of side arms. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:02 am

I am mostly very pleased with mint and it's default choices. I do wish the release cycle was not so short (more of an ubuntu issue i realise), and I always mod the look to give me the standard Gnome desktop back, while leaving the Mint Menu button still at bottom left (just in case, and so I have a frame of reference when trying to answer others' questions). Mostly i wish the release cycle were a little longer (say, 9-12 months). But for the most part, things are very fine. The buid and apps are good, but most of all, I really enjoy my time here in the Community. The forums here are much more friendly than many of the others I serve in. Let's all share what we know. Otherwise, what's the point? :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”