What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by DeMus » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:58 pm

You may select 1 option

No automatic major updates for some applications (e.g. Firefox) Firefox does receive automatic updates
Short release cycle Since Mint changed to only use LTS versions it is perfect. Six months cycles was hideous, I have to admit that.
Choice of default pre-installed applications No problems with that, what I don't have I can always install myself.
The default theme I install my own theme so when I am ready nobody can tell it is Mint. It is "just" a Linux Distro with the KDE desktop
Software installation/removal process No problem with that
Configuring the OS settings KDE has so many, but I can find all the settings I want to change
Hardware compatibility Everything runs smooth on my computer, so no problem here
Some encountered bugs (specify) There will always be bugs, no matter how well something is programmed. Does it disturb me? No.
Other (specify) No idea what.

So, looking back I think I have to say the former short release cycle, but since this has been changed I have no problems, as far as I had them, anymore.

MoreLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MoreLinux » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:27 pm

I selected: Other (specify)

And I specify: Nothing. I really happy with Mint 17.1. It runs smooth, very stable and lets me work with a laptop they way I want to use it. That is what other desktops are forgetting and that is a bad trend on all the major OSses. Mint doesn't do that.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:38 pm

I didn't select anything at all. What a silly question.... Linux Mint isn't by any means perfect, because nothing is. But in my opinion it's at this moment the very best operating system on the face of this earth. No doubt about it. 8)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

woodsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by woodsman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Firefox does receive automatic updates
Unlikely, seeing as the current LMDE version is 35.0 rather than 35.0.1.

Jrassek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jrassek » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:38 am

That my Intel Centrino N-2230 Wireless Card doesnt seem to work on Linux, so iam forced to use Windows :/

Iwlwifi is pretty broken in this Linux Mint/Ubuntu version :(
Image Image Image Image

ktheking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ktheking » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:56 am

Parts that require attention in order of importance :

-driver support for wifi cards
-driver support for nvidia and ati cards
-provide better support mechanism for printers and scanners. And idea would be to involve printer vendors in offering some online solution ,allowing links towards it from an app or page on mint.

Connectivity to the internet is the most important part of the OS. Otherwise no solutions to other problems can be offered.
That's why I think getting wifi to work is the most important item on my list.
I know it's down to the Ubuntu guys to come up with something here ,but I still wanted to mention.

Kind regards,

K.

kukamuumuka
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kukamuumuka » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:02 pm

Automatic updates would be fine thing for people who have no time to push updates button every now and then (yes .. people are lazy .. :lol: ). I have set automatic updates for some computers simply adding them to the /etc/rc.local file.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh -e
# By default this script does nothing.
sleep 60
apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade
exit 0

cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:24 pm

I recently switched back to Linux Mint after spending several years on Debian and then another few years on Sabayon because Mint shifted to LTS releases as its base. And I was anxious to get back to MATE and Compiz (I missed my fun, familiar desktop of yesteryear.) Any updates to specific software I can get with PPAs. I also run the Liquorix kernel (currently v 3.18-7) and the latest nvidia drivers directly from nvidia so being stuck with an outdated kernel (or graphics drivers) are not an issue either. Overall, Mint offers the most polished Linux desktop experience and its community is the best hands down. :D Color me a happy, well satisfied user!
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
86.5 GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660
Linux Mint 18.2 MATE 1.18 +Compiz
Kernel 4.09 LTS

zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:08 pm

Since a year, i use Linux Mint with satisfaction. Previously as beginner i have preferred Red Hat, later a little bit Suse then Debian. I have used Red Hat and Suse with X, Debian initially console. So i have learned common linux commands. At the time, it was still difficult to configure X server. After a while I managed to install on Debian graphical interface. Then came the desktop Linux distributions in a row.According many people Linux Mint is the best among them. In my opinion, this is true because: it is easy to install, use, configure. It is not only for beginners, but also satisfies the needs of advanced users

Andrew33
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Andrew33 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:09 pm

The use of software/apps that is/are no longer supported on this, the Linux platform, and the need to find and/or implement a better substitute in its place.

Lack of response to issues in the forums....some people just don't have the time to spend hours looking around for answers to something.

Certain features in this OS that should already be included and work when installed...

flyboyd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Mint? NO DRAGLOCK

Post by flyboyd » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:28 am

1. By far and away, the most annoying thing for me was not being able to enable the "DragLock" feature of my laptops synaptic touchpad from the settings GUI. This is a really common feature, a simple tickbox on a windows PC (and I believe also on Mac), and really useful.

I searched the mint forum, then the web for hours, before eventually finding a way to write a script that would enable the draglock feature at startup. SERIOUSLY NOT COOL for a linux newbie with no programming experince, for something that by all rights should be a rudimentry feature of the settings GUI.

On the plus side, when I broke my machine attempting this (by not closing my script statement) I was able to fix it in safe mode, deleting the file via terminal, but that's hardly a redemption as I should never had to go there in the first place!

***** If I hadn't been able to fix this, I wouldn't be using linux (or at least not mint). *****

2. No decent dark (ie; white writing on charcoal bars) theme for xfce.
3. No performance / temperature monitoring GUI. I've installed a couple of things that kinda work, but it's pretty ugly.

Otherwise I think it's great, and now use it far more than my windows machine.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:25 pm

flyboyd wrote: 3. No performance / temperature monitoring GUI. I've installed a couple of things that kinda work, but it's pretty ugly.
I agree. You can have temp monitoring and performance monitoring, but it can be a real chore sometimes, especially with some laptop chipsets...

:(

WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:39 pm

flyboyd wrote:2. No decent dark (ie; white writing on charcoal bars) theme for xfce.

Is this the kind of thing you have in mind? (17.1 Xfce)

ambiance-blackout-colors from http://www.ravefinity.com/p/our-themes-work.html, it has specific XFCE theme versions within the package.

Regards
WT
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett

opethfan89
Level 1
Level 1

Post by opethfan89 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:22 pm

I was quite pleased when I bought my Samsung multifunction printer to see that they (Samsung) natively provides a printer driver for Linux. So with that driver, I haven't had any issues :)

Although with my old HP printer (non-networked), all I did was plug it into my router and browse to it as a network printer. Worked fine because HP also provides a Linux driver.

So I guess the manufacturers like Brother, Lexmark, Canon, Epson, etc on board? If HP and Samsung can do it, why can't others?
ktheking wrote:Parts that require attention in order of importance :

-driver support for wifi cards
-driver support for nvidia and ati cards
-provide better support mechanism for printers and scanners. And idea would be to involve printer vendors in offering some online solution ,allowing links towards it from an app or page on mint.

Connectivity to the internet is the most important part of the OS. Otherwise no solutions to other problems can be offered.
That's why I think getting wifi to work is the most important item on my list.
I know it's down to the Ubuntu guys to come up with something here ,but I still wanted to mention.

Kind regards,

K.

blueprint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blueprint » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:43 am

I have had difficulties with Mint Cinnamon on relatively newer computers, where the graphics engine fails to load.

kayuz6
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kayuz6 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:46 am

My acer v5 561g fail to get brightness slider active on linux mint 17.1

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:37 am

The abortion some hack performed on Synaptic to attempt to make it Mint-centric. What a waste of code. The software manager is crap. Thank God for the terminal.
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

elbullazul
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elbullazul » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:48 am

I just wish there would be a faster and cleaner way than spreading the whole program in about 7 different folders :-/

Maryak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Maryak » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm a long term PC user, (since 1980). I've gone through it all from the days before a mouse right up to Windows 10.

Windows 8, which vies with Windows Vista for the worse Windows ever, got me thinking about Linux and after reading about the invasion of my privacy by Google, Microsoft, Apple and most all commercial software, I decided to give Linux a try.

1st point of dissatisfaction 4 Desktops, (Mate, Cinnamon, KDE and Xfce).

2nd point of dissatisfaction NONE of the desktops work properly out of the box.

3rd point pick a desktop and make sure it works as advertised. e.g. the installation process and disk drives, setting up a vpn and networks in general.

4th point when searching for help most of the answers are in terminal mode rather than suggesting a GUI package which will do the job in half the time and more easily. I gave up writing code in the 1990's. I don't want or need to repeat this time consuming exercise in the name of greater pseudo control. It might make you feel good to offer up an example of your prowess but it puts most people OFFSIDE.

5th point most PC, laptop, tablet users are just that........... USERS. We are not amateur or even professional IT people.

OK Linux is FREE but there needs to be some serious culling of many half baked pieces of software which don't work or have no usable help files. Diversity in Linux, (from my perspective), is overdone, overblown and confusing. A horse designed by committee usually ends up a camel.

The Linux core is obviously a wonderful thing, used and adapted by the IT industry as the base of many successful commercial enterprises. However unless steps are taken to consolidate on the next levels and degeek it, Linux will remain where it is.......A great idea stuffed up by too many wannabes all vying for their place in the sun.

I apologise to those of you who read this and find it insulting. Alas due to the reasons above, to name a few, I regret to advise I will have to stick with Windoze and some good anti-virus/firewalls.

Thanks for reading

Regards
Maryak

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:14 am

Maryak wrote:(....some largely unjust criticism removed....) I will have to stick with Windoze and some good anti-virus/firewalls.
Well, have fun and may you live happily ever after. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”