What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by Chiefahol »

nothing... 8) seems like a pretty cool distro to me
Donate to your favourite distros!

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Pjotr wrote:I didn't select anything at all. What a silly question.... Linux Mint isn't by any means perfect, because nothing is. But in my opinion it's at this moment the very best operating system on the face of this earth. No doubt about it. 8)
Want to ask (sorry haven't seen your post before today), what about for those people who work deep underground? :D

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

David Black wrote:
Pjotr wrote:I didn't select anything at all. What a silly question.... Linux Mint isn't by any means perfect, because nothing is. But in my opinion it's at this moment the very best operating system on the face of this earth. No doubt about it. 8)
Want to ask (sorry haven't seen your post before today), what about for those people who work deep underground? :D
For them, it's probably FreeBSD. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Why do you even want automatic updates? Don't you want to know first what's being injected in your computer?

Why, for example, do you want constant updates for a mere browser like Firefox? What exactly do I need more in a browser? Help them enhance their tracking activities? But who am I kidding, really? They won't stop until you update. :) Same thing with Adobe Flash. Updating is about enhancing millions of ads in your browser, thus slow down your computer.
Last edited by thom_A on Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

thom_A wrote:Why, for example, do you want constant updates for a mere browser like Firefox?
To repair security leaks....

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

thom_A wrote:What exactly do I need more in a browser?
Maybe the ESR-version of FF is for you.

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

Right now is not being able to connect with iPhone or iPad. Stepson does this for me with his W7 PC. Easy as I have watched him do it but don't want to dual boot with W7.
Edit.

Just remembered, with 17 no more up down scroll arrows on the right side. really annoying.
I have a PC with 16 that still has the arrows.
I depend on those arrows a lot.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

I always have arrows. Try another theme (style).

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

I would if I knew which ones had the arrows. With the techies would stop messing with what works. Still much better than Windows though.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

It's wrong place. There is "Desktops & Window Managers" - Questions about desktops & window managers.

Jack.Handey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jack.Handey »

I'd like to see a Linux Distro finally tackle Software RAID 0/1/etc. Everybody and their pet monkey now have RAID enabled motherboards with SSD's attached, and they are hitting a wall with Linux distributions in general. With Windows 10 rectally examining every new user like the TSA, this is a perfect time to pull out the stops and make Software RAID installs as transparent as it is on Windows. How many times are we going to have to type out a 2 page explanation of how to install Linux Mint, or any other distribution, because they have what every motherboard has today- a Intel or Marvell raid controller.

I don't know how this hasn't percolated up to the top of each distro yet, because it's a BFD and a BF problem. We can't take market share when people have to vi config files just to get the damned OS installed. The purpose of a distribution is to install itself, otherwise you'd roll your own from source and config every piece. I wish I knew who to appeal to with this, because I see Windows users wanting to flee a sinking ship, and then they try to install Linux on their RAID array, and they sink. The hot girl is leaving the building and we're holding our pricks on our hands, and I don't like it.

Kefyr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kefyr »

Definitely the software installation/removal process

It's 2015 and often I still have to use the terminal to simply install a program which should install at the click of a button. I wouldn't stop using my Mint OS for anything (unless something better came along!) but Gosh darnit... the whole process is absolutely not user-friendly and just makes things a pain in the butt (unless of course it's in the default software center, which not many things are)

iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

The Nouveau driver: it's the work of Satan and will not let me run or install from a DVD. It used to be so easy.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Cinnamon has been freezing 2 or 3 times a day for me. I have to restart it and it sucks because whatever I was working on closes. And sometime I lose audio after waking from sleep. It's starting to piss me off.

Alpha Bootis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alpha Bootis »

I replied hardware compatibility even though I don't think that is completely fair.
Any and all problems i've had to this day with any Linux distribution are down to the lack of drivers and/or a manufacturers (lack of) documentation surrounding their hardware.
Things like wlan cards are notorious for being craptastic if the laptop came with Windows pre-installed. (hello Broadcom)

Getting factory drivers installed for graphics accelerator cards is another such thing. This is rocket science to the average Joe.
This in fact has to be fixed somehow for Linux gaming to really take off.
Right now I have a Windows 10 dual boot to satisfy the occasional gaming needs I have left.
Windows still performs about 300% better in games, regardless of our good friend Gaben's efforts in Linux land. (this is without a doubt, again, my videocard or its driver, but a fact I have to deal with none the less)

These days I select my hardware on Linux capability as it is now my primary OS, however my conversion to Linux was (and still is) mostly bumpy because of drivers.

Koninator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Koninator »

Still hardware compatibility is big pain in the ass.

More specific: problems with auto-detection of VGA monitor and configuration of monitors. Some basic stuff which just works out of the box in windows.

p.s
We should make yearly posts about this. So we could track how Mint is changing and improving itself.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Koninator wrote:Still hardware compatibility is big pain in the ass.
..... for you. Not for me. Speak for yourself.

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I'm sort of brand new, took me 4 weeks to get this ASUS TP500L to properly install any kind of Linux.

it was not until I found the Mint forums, that I ran across a thread showing how to install a WiFi driver that has been out in the wilds now for 6 years.... why, is it not supported yet in the Linux install?

Mediatek Corp. MT7630e 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter

I tried to install that following along with the Software Manager, but no go...
it was not until I ran across this thread, that I was able to make it work....

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1796

the driver is made for Windows of course, as the laptops all come with Windows on them.

Many Kudos to
jahid_0903014

for writing up that article, without which, this laptop I am using would still be in the dung heap.

So, the main failing of Linux Mint is the lack of support for hardware drivers..

I was in hopes that I could just load up Linux Mint x64 Cinnamon and be in a familiar "Windows like" environment" and then progress ahead with getting familiar with the nuances of Linux.

Instead, it took me weeks to get past Secure Boot... I was able to piece together bits and crumbs from different threads, where I garnered a tid bit from a single post in long threads on how to fix Secure Boot.
"Fix" meaning that I can reliably boot the laptop into anything I want it to do.....

I had to do all of my research from my Win7 PC until the problem with the BIOS was resolved.
The "light bulb" suddenly turned on in the middle of the night about a week ago...

Now, the laptop is reliable, does what it should, when it should... but it was an arduous task to get it to that point.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Jack.Handey wrote:I'd like to see a Linux Distro finally tackle Software RAID 0/1/etc. Everybody and their pet monkey now have RAID enabled motherboards with SSD's attached, and they are hitting a wall with Linux distributions in general. With Windows 10 rectally examining every new user like the TSA, this is a perfect time to pull out the stops and make Software RAID installs as transparent as it is on Windows. How many times are we going to have to type out a 2 page explanation of how to install Linux Mint, or any other distribution, because they have what every motherboard has today- a Intel or Marvell raid controller.

I don't know how this hasn't percolated up to the top of each distro yet, because it's a BFD and a BF problem. We can't take market share when people have to vi config files just to get the damned OS installed. The purpose of a distribution is to install itself, otherwise you'd roll your own from source and config every piece. I wish I knew who to appeal to with this, because I see Windows users wanting to flee a sinking ship, and then they try to install Linux on their RAID array, and they sink. The hot girl is leaving the building and we're holding our pricks on our hands, and I don't like it.

EXACTLY !!!!!
I just posted how frickin hard it was for me to get past Secure Boot....
MicroSloth is forcing computer manufacturers to put Road Blocks in place if we dare to /gasp!/ desert their flagship POS Win10

This laptop came with Win8 and I hated it, my workstation is Win7 and it works like a charm, it will stay Win7 for until the end of time.

But, I wanted a laptop for portable use, and there simply aren't any now with Win7....
MSloth has forced Secure Boot crap onto us, and that nightmare of an OS drove me to drink... and I have been a MS IT support tech since DOS 3.0

I used Win10 for two months and decided it had to go, formatted the hard drive and then discovered that it won't boot from the USB ports..... what a nightmare that was....

but I got it done, and I'm here now, thank gawd.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”