What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by expat_tony »

Derek_S wrote:The openSUSE installer detected that Windows 8 was already installed, figured out I was using UEFI boot by detecting the FAT32 UEFI boot partition, and even figured out that I had Secure Boot enabled in BIOS. Then it suggested a partition scheme which I could approve or modify, and finished by showing a summary of all the partitions being used for installation, showed it was installing Grub to the UEFI boot partition, and even installed a signed bootloader file, shim.efi, to allow for using Secure Boot. All I had to do post-installation was boot back into Windows and use the bcdedit command to change the path for the bootloader to \EFI\opensuse\shim.efi, and I've had no problems ever since. Why can't the Mint installer do this as well?

I think that without knowing it, you answered your own last question. AFAIK you have to pay $99 to some Microsoft crony company for a bootloader with a signature acceptable to Windows 8. I knew Fedora do it, so it seems openSUSE do the same. Their business models obviously allow them to swallow that cost without passing it on to you. Maybe the 99 dollars are a one-off payment and not a fee-per-license, though I can hardly believe that, or every distro would surely have followed suit by now.
Derek_S wrote:I think that for every person showing up on this forum trying to fix their failed Linux Mint installation, there are probably 9 others who just give up on Linux and reinstall Windows. Having a bad experience right from the start is not the way to win people over to using Linux over Windows, and I hope the developers read this and take note
Couldn't agree more, but see the above financial issue.

crossroads
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crossroads »

I own a old gateway M210 series laptop with upgraded memory. I switched from XP to Linux Mint 16 fully committed to the process. Didn't test the system to see if I liked it, just plunged in headfirst. Even made a small donation before I had all the kinks worked out. Spent many hours getting video and sound issues resolved, and heavily relied on the forum to SOLVE "problems" WIthout this forum, I still would of made the switch, and "googled" my way to success, but it probably cut my learning curve in half. I dislike Windows for a variety of philosophical, technical and consumer related reasons. I do not use any Windows programs, and remain totally reliant on my Linix OS and compatible apps. I opted out to vote on any dissatisfied options, because .... I'm not dissatisfied. I will comment however, that to me it seems strangly curious why my dynosaur of a laptop seems to run so well on Linux Mint, while I read about other users having so many more problems on newer hardware platforms. I suspect this is because Linux is so developmentally rich and dynamic, while many hardware vendors are frozen by the economic yoke of cowtowing to Microsoft, and simply can't, or won't keep pace.
LinuxMint 17.1 (rebecca) Lenovo X140e. AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics. 800.000 MHz.

It isn't what you know, it's what you think you know that ain't so which gets you in trouble" -- Mark Twain

jos24
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jos24 »

I was quite excited back in Feb when I finally converted my winx laptop to Mint 16 XFCE.(after 20 years of windows) a couple of minor glitches that seemed easily solved and a bit of time getting used to terminal//
sad to say after the past 3 weeks of total frustration between sound issues and network issues I have decided to abandon linux when I get my new laptop in a couple of months. I was using this old laptop to prepare myself for a total switch to linux. As I had to reset my pswd here also looking for solutions and some posts I made I had noted them..my other 12 or so posts disappeared after a heck of a time even getting back in here with the KIndlefire non compliant captcha system of moving a word from one place to another..that alone took over 2 weeks and when I finally got my password reset my prior posts and signature disappeared.) Way Way too much work.
I have one istallation of Petra 16 with fully functioning sound audacity, netflix, youtube, audacious, and skype and on that installation first my wifi disappeared..and when I moved to an ethernet connection..one week later that also died/disappeared. I solved my connection issue by reinstalling another iteration of Petra (from my flash drive) so I have a dual boot of Petra XFCe..one with working internet but no sound (after 3 solid days of looking for a solution.removing/reinstalling/rebooting etc..) and another with great sound but no network connections at all. I end up using my Kindlefire for Skype, Dropbox and Netflix. ..so why do I need linux??
As I have my computer to actually DO things (other than fix it) I am suddenly tired of it and want something that just works and does not get F00909834hbj up everytime something is updated and i have no idea how to really find a solution.
I travel a lot and I really need something reliable and dependable and not having to spend all my time trying to find workarounds and fixes for everything..
sooo.. it was sweet linux but perhaps I am fickle and looking for a new love now..one that is reliable, with no baggage and enjoys the same things I do so we can DO things together. so we don't have to "talk" about it all the time and always patch things up and fix things.. We can still be friends..for awhile.
dreaming of android

mint 16 Xfce

Goro Daimon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Goro Daimon »

1- No sisimedia video driver support.
2- No Mint Z theme for Mate Desktop with animated progress bar.
3- Mint Installer. Deepin Installer works better but that's heavy. I prefer Yast too.

js3915
Level 3
Level 3

Post by js3915 »

jos24 wrote:I was quite excited back in Feb when I finally converted my winx laptop to Mint 16 XFCE.(after 20 years of windows) a couple of minor glitches that seemed easily solved and a bit of time getting used to terminal//
sad to say after the past 3 weeks of total frustration between sound issues and network issues I have decided to abandon linux when I get my new laptop in a couple of months. I was using this old laptop to prepare myself for a total switch to linux. As I had to reset my pswd here also looking for solutions and some posts I made I had noted them..my other 12 or so posts disappeared after a heck of a time even getting back in here with the KIndlefire non compliant captcha system of moving a word from one place to another..that alone took over 2 weeks and when I finally got my password reset my prior posts and signature disappeared.) Way Way too much work.
I have one istallation of Petra 16 with fully functioning sound audacity, netflix, youtube, audacious, and skype and on that installation first my wifi disappeared..and when I moved to an ethernet connection..one week later that also died/disappeared. I solved my connection issue by reinstalling another iteration of Petra (from my flash drive) so I have a dual boot of Petra XFCe..one with working internet but no sound (after 3 solid days of looking for a solution.removing/reinstalling/rebooting etc..) and another with great sound but no network connections at all. I end up using my Kindlefire for Skype, Dropbox and Netflix. ..so why do I need linux??
As I have my computer to actually DO things (other than fix it) I am suddenly tired of it and want something that just works and does not get F00909834hbj up everytime something is updated and i have no idea how to really find a solution.
I travel a lot and I really need something reliable and dependable and not having to spend all my time trying to find workarounds and fixes for everything..
sooo.. it was sweet linux but perhaps I am fickle and looking for a new love now..one that is reliable, with no baggage and enjoys the same things I do so we can DO things together. so we don't have to "talk" about it all the time and always patch things up and fix things.. We can still be friends..for awhile.
dreaming of android

mint 16 Xfce
WinX sounds like a windows XP machine.. How old was this laptop? If its something pre 2006 you might run into issues with certain wireless maybe sound even.. Newer machine least within the past couple of years youll probably get a lot better outcome esp in wireless and sound.

grumpus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grumpus »

Derek_S wrote:I would have to say the installer. I've been a member of the forum for just over six months now and I spend most of my time in the "Installation & Boot" section. It seems far too many people crash and burn trying to install Linux Mint, especially where Windows 8/8.1 and UEFI boot are concerned. I actually gave up trying to dual boot Windows 8 and Linux Mint on my own HP Envy DV-7 laptop after the first 5 or 6 failed attempts, and bought a refurbished Lenovo T400 laptop to do a stand alone installation of Linux Mint.

Then I went back an tried installing openSUSE 13.1 on the HP Envy along with Windows 8, and guess what? The openSUSE installer detected that Windows 8 was already installed, figured out I was using UEFI boot by detecting the FAT32 UEFI boot partition, and even figured out that I had Secure Boot enabled in BIOS. Then it suggested a partition scheme which I could approve or modify, and finished by showing a summary of all the partitions being used for installation, showed it was installing Grub to the UEFI boot partition, and even installed a signed bootloader file, shim.efi, to allow for using Secure Boot. All I had to do post-installation was boot back into Windows and use the bcdedit command to change the path for the bootloader to \EFI\opensuse\shim.efi, and I've had no problems ever since. Why can't the Mint installer do this as well?

I think that for every person showing up on this forum trying to fix their failed Linux Mint installation, there are probably 9 others who just give up on Linux and reinstall Windows. Having a bad experience right from the start is not the way to win people over to using Linux over Windows, and I hope the developers read this and take note. I know it's near impossible to make the installer idiot proof, but it could be a lot better than it is now.
The problem with dual boot usually rests with Windows and it's limitations. You need to remember you are trying to tie open source to proprietary software which is deliberately obfuscated to maintain MS control. Any meager cooperation from MS is done grudgingly as Linux cuts into profits.
If you install a completely autonomous Linux system there are no issues with the UEFI or Grub, Grub2 or any of it's manifestations.
I have anywhere from three to four separate Linux distributions on this system, currently three, with no Windows and am able to perform everything which goes on with Windows. If there is an issue it's usually caused by MS's shell game and failure to embrace the global open source standard concepts.
Uhhh, maybe this will work?

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

The bug ( perhaps "design flaw" is a better way to describe it ) in mdm that breaks the default umask process: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1094990
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

macvaliant60
Level 1
Level 1

Post by macvaliant60 »

Green, green and more green in the theme including these forums. While I undertsand it's obviously associated with 'Mint' and 'Ireland' as the origin of the distro and there's probably some national pride or such involved with Ireland and 'green' personally to me it's getting annoying, tired, old and it's been the same for years. Mint is one of the best distro's in terms of stability and ease of use (and my current favourite despite the colour choice) but the standard theming is boring monotones of green and grey and very ordinary in appearance compared to some others. It lacks polish and in your face attraction at the get go and doesn't do what is beneath enough justice as being as good a distro as it is.

Oddly as much as green is one of my least favourite colours I also play with Manjaro which also uses green extensively but the whole theme of Manjaro including icon sets etc looks so much more professional and not as jarring.

Yes, I can theme the OS out and get rid of most of it which I have, but there's no total escape. Sorry for the rant but I had to get that out ;)

The other minor critisism or perhaps also to be taken as a suggestion is the slideshow/advertising of features during the install process. It's very windows like and perhaps that was the goal in it's creation, but, I can't begin to imagine the number of times I went through seeing that over the years of countless reinstalls of windows. Seeing it once is enough. Perhaps a modification to allow it to be turned off and or a clickable link to 'show details' of what the installation is actually doing command wise.

nb26
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nb26 »

-more desklets, that can be stuck, moved, only appear in one workspace, transparent, shrunk on click
-more linux users. Learn magical incantations for terminal. Copy and paste. :shock:
-all this stuff on welcome/guide screen https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first
-oh and one more small thing: user friendly driver-programming interface :wink: maybe with a graphical interface??

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 »

macvaliant60 wrote:Green, green and more green
I like green, it's a healing colour, why do you think green is abundant in nature? your heart chakra is green, do you eat your greens? green light = go, etc etc etc,

green is a good positive colour, you can never have too much green in your life, maybe you should go for a barefoot walk on the grass sometime :mrgreen: :D

noelbeth55
Level 2
Level 2

Post by noelbeth55 »

What am i dissatisfied with. Now let me see. Where do i start. Absolutly nothing, it is a piece of art.

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MartyMint »

I'm dissatisfied that Compiz development has pretty much ground to a halt, with no real future to it.

Fortunately, KWIN is taking it's place as an attractive compositor.

expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Post by expat_tony »

nb26 wrote: Learn magical incantations for terminal. Copy and paste. :shock:
I mostly use the terminal to copy in command lists that I read on here. Resolved lots of issues that way.
Re. copy/paste in the terminal : Highlight = copy to memory, Click on middle mouse button / mouse wheel / both left & right of a two-button mouse = paste.
You can copy in those posted commands that way too. :shock: -> :D

adfd1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by adfd1 »

I voted [Other]. As an experienced Windows user I find the Terminal my problem. I also didn't like the fact that I had to go through a lot of work getting a second HDD to mount when the computer boots up. I had success getting a second HDD to mount in one machine, punted on doing it in a second computer.

Overall I like the OS and will probably be sticking with it though.-AD

nb26
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nb26 »

Ya, I definately like terminal better, all commands, one place. The point and click routine ends up taking longer.

yatesco
Level 2
Level 2

Post by yatesco »

Having two dogs means I would start to worry about other colours, brown and yellow coming quickly to mind :)!
1.618 wrote:
macvaliant60 wrote:Green, green and more green
I like green, it's a healing colour, why do you think green is abundant in nature? your heart chakra is green, do you eat your greens? green light = go, etc etc etc,

green is a good positive colour, you can never have too much green in your life, maybe you should go for a barefoot walk on the grass sometime :mrgreen: :D

niowluka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by niowluka »

Upstart is giving me some headache. Coming from Slackware I quite enjoyed the simplicity of Init. With Upstart it takes me ages to figure out when exactly does a given script start.

Other than that, nothing really. I mean, it's Linux, right ? If you don't like it you change it, or change the part(s) you don't like.
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 4.1.6 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC

TheSuperfly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheSuperfly »

No problems - Mint 17 running like a dream - fully customised - had an issue with restoring a backup from Paragon after it corrupted Grub, but that will teach me to use Windows to backup disks LOL..

scryan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scryan »

I voted default theme... minor issue, but all my other complaints stem from "find the right fit" type stuff..

But wow is the default mint/green theme such an eye sore. I seem to be one of the few who think so, so maybe its just me... But its not just not good, Its BAD and if I didn't know how to do anything it alone would probably be enough for me to move away from mint.

Realistically, I like mint as an "easy" distro but its so "easy" it can be hard to fix, because your almost not supposed to be messing with it. I also find it noticeably slower then Arch... I just fixed up a terrible old laptop. XP barely ran, Mint Mate was a bit slow, while Arch w/GDM & Mate had little noticeable lag.

That said if I wasn't overly concerned with performance, didn't feel like doing things on my own, or was suggesting a starter distro Mint would be the first thing I reach for. That laptop I mentioned I only ran arch because I didn't get the performance I wanted with Mint, but the only reason I knew that was Mint was my first try, knowing that it was going to be shared by non-computer folk.

CupidsHelper
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CupidsHelper »

Please on the next release of Linux Mint, exclude default programs that require the Mono Libs. These Libs take up a LOT of space. Just my 2 bits. :wink:
Linux Mint 18.3 MATE 64-Bit
HP Desk Pavilion p6510f
AMD Radeon HD 7750
AMD Athlon II x4 630 2800MHz
8GB RAM

https://www.youtube.com/user/3ABNVideos

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”