What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'm not.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

:)

I use Openbox a lot, and I can see why you'd miss that feature.
vl1969
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vl1969 »

I actually like Mint very much.
so far it is the most promising distro I have found except for a few bugs, which are mostly driver related rather than distro it self.
I am running an OpenSuse based file/ vm server at home, and untill recently had a laptop and main PC run OpenSuse as well.
having build out an HTPC on Mint 16 I decided to move all my user PC to Min family and loving it.
it's simple and very functional, very very user friendly. have some issues here and there as things don't work the way I am used to coming from windows, but nothing major so far.
been on mint 17 for several month now.
maihoaomv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maihoaomv »

i'm most dissatisfied that mint doesn't move ahead of the pack and fix bugs independently of ubuntu. for instance; a2dp bluetooth not working "out-of-the-box" and crypt-swap not being configured properly during installation and other problems that i have to fix each time i upgrade to the latest and greatest.

mint is more user friendly than ubuntu, has a much nicer user interface (even xfce) and, well, i just like mint much better than i did ubuntu (and others). my wish is that the mint developers would cut some of the ubuntu strings and do what ubuntu doesn't; fix-the-problems.
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

For the most part I'm loving mint 17 in flavors Cinnimon, XFCE, KDE. Haven't tried MATE or others or Debian. Each for a purpose. But here's what I don't like so far:
1. Bluetooth using distros which depend on Blueman. Made XFCE not nearly as usefull as it should be for lightweight hardware. Blueman in LM 17 is based on Ubuntu 'trusty. Blueman in 'trusty' is broken. Its possible to make it work but not elegant at all and stumps a lot of people. Don't use it unless the base changes to 'Utopic' or later where blueman is fixed. Cinnamon and KDE are fine. Cinnamon>>KDE for ease of setup for bluetooth but both great. Why not just dump blueman and go with cinnamon-bluetooth or bluedevil???
2. Baloo sucks. Makes Dolphin problematic. Fixable but not obviouse. I had to install stuff that wasn't on the KDE ISO. I'd rather disable it but having trouble doing so. I'm using KDE as a replacement for XFCE (see issue 1) on netbooks so Dolphin is a bit of overkill anyway.
3. Distro variablilty of what package sources are made available. With KDE the installed software sorces don't seem to include all that is available in ubuntu etc. Example, in the softwqare manager, I can search for Kodi in the Cinnimaon machine and it comes up but not on the KDE machine by default. But I can search for xmbc but an inappropriate version. This seems to be a theme. When searching on the LM software manager, I get different results for different LM distros. The software manager should have all github sources available by default.
4. TBD? Sure I'll come across something later but I am very impressed and happy with LM as a PC OS.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
L'homme de Menthe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by L'homme de Menthe »

Let me just state first that I fell instantly in love with Linux Mint after being a long-time Windows and Mac user. In fact, if it wasn't for Linux Mint I might run something like Puppy Linux or Knoppix as a "rescue" distro but otherwise would probably not have made Linux the OS on my main machine (Btw..tried a couple versions of Mint but went with "Rebecca" 17.1 Cinnamon)

That said, I think there's still some room for improvement:
1. Bluetooth: Trying to get Bt working was a nightmare. I messed up some system settings in the process that I'm still trying to fix.
2. There's way too much blinding white in the Cinnamon themes, and I can't seem to adjust my screen brightness. Currently using a dark theme I downloaded but it would be nice to have a default dark theme. Something with black windows and white or light green text. Also I find it weird that I can't seem to mix different default background pics to make a slideshow background--tried to copy/paste bgs into new folder but didn't work.
3. Not too happy about software being a little outdated but I understand that it's dependent on Ubuntu repos.
4. I realize this is partly due to my crappy CPU...but what's with Pulse Audio using 10% :?

All in all though, I think Linux Mint and Cinnamon are brilliant. Thank you Clem et al :D !!!
gary.zw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gary.zw »

A default dark theme would be nice.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon Edition 64-bit.
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU Clock Speeds: 1: 1645.679 MHz 2: 2296.992 MHz 3: 1642.093 MHz 4: 1604.375 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK104 GeForce GTX 660 Ti
meztek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meztek »

A longer release cycle would be preferable. I am rather fond of the long release cycle and the whole "released when it's ready" idea (Debian does this, for example).
Electrical Engineer by day, Linux & computer keyboard addict by night.
MartyMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MartyMint »

meztek wrote:A longer release cycle would be preferable.

We have that now with Mint 17 and Mint 17.1
meztek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meztek »

MartyMint wrote:
meztek wrote:A longer release cycle would be preferable.
We have that now with Mint 17 and Mint 17.1
Where did you hear/read about this? I must have missed that bit of news.
Electrical Engineer by day, Linux & computer keyboard addict by night.
sanity rising
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sanity rising »

No problems for me...well i run into a few minor issues every now and then, but i'm still new to Mint and eventually with a bit of research and advice from this forum i can get most things i want to work or i can find an alternative. So all in all i'm happy. :)
tuxer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tuxer »

I finally have something that I am dissatisfied with in Linux Mint. It won't allow me to use animated gifs when I replace the start menu icon. :mrgreen:
djk44883
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djk44883 »

The firefox modifications and having to uninstall the bloated office suite I have no need for. To a lesser degree, I'm not big on green and dark everything.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost... the Minnow would be lost!
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Firefox and Office is not Linux Mint.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
charlieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by charlieg »

Major issues:

A real lack of... tools for managing/controlling common hardware issues. The one affecting me is that I have an integrated GFX chipset (Intel) and dedicated Nvidia GPU but it appears congifuring this will take some real tinkering. This is pretty common on modern laptops and it concerns me that in 2015 this is still such a weakly solved problem.

Minor issues:

Duplicate menu entries - I have 2 menu entries for 'Image Viewer' and 2 for 'Startup Applications' after I installed Gnome alongside Cinammon.

Race conditions in Mint Menu - very occasionally I'll go into a category (so it is graphically highlighted / selected) but there is no filter applied to the menu entries.

Single level menu categories/folders - once you install quite a few apps, the categories get overloaded. Just to get to Text Editor (possibly the most common 'Accessory' for users generally) involves an awful lot of scrolling. The WINE category gets filled with so much crap if you install a few Windows apps with WINE.
JOPETA
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JOPETA »

Some problems with EFI and proprietary graphics drivers that prevent making easiest boot of live media and install on new computers.
OlivierM
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OlivierM »

The only thing that really annoys me is the 30 second countdown when clicking shutdown/reboot/whatnot. There should be a ticker like [x] if you want instant shutdown at least, set up once and for all.

Secondary level, not so annoying but a little frustrating, I have quite a decent laptop, and "fast-loading" isn't what comes to my mind when starting the computer (SSD, 8Gb ram, core i7)
XFCE Mint 17.3 & 18.1. Various laptops and desktops.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

OlivierM wrote:The only thing that really annoys me is the 30 second countdown when clicking shutdown/reboot/whatnot.
Which Mint version (MATE, XFCE, Cin...)?
OlivierM wrote:There should be a ticker like [x] if you want instant shutdown at least, set up once and for all.
Instant shutdown:
Terminal -> sudo shutdown -h -P 0

Not actually instant because it will wait for the systems process to exit, stop everything and then shutdown... if you want a literally instant shutdown you can do so by calling a kernel function. That would be almost equal to shutdown your computer by unplugging it from the power source.

Not sure.

And replying to the poll:
There are things that annoys me in Mint, but it is not from Mint. It is the file manager (thunar in this case).

Because there is no way to sort files by name, size or category for each separate folder. It applies to all folders.

But that is just a small detail, not important really. I can live with that. :)
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

OlivierM wrote:The only thing that really annoys me is the 30 second countdown when clicking shutdown/reboot/
Is the dialogs buttons "Cancel" and "Shut Down" visible during those 30 secsonds ? If yes, then just click on what you want to be.
If you want to shut down instantly (without dialog) then tune your keyboard key "X86PowerOff" to execute command "xfce4-session-logout --halt"
(case XFCE DE, of course)
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
superseve1985
Level 1
Level 1

Post by superseve1985 »

I choose other. Although Accessibility (specifically the screen magnification) has gotten to the point where it's usable. But there's still one feature that the screen magnifier could use. One is something called cursor tracking. It's where the magnifier tracks the cursor position if your typing something. This is really helpful to someone who's visually impaired because we don't have to keep constantly moving the mouse
when where typing.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”