What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Penn

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by Penn »

stackfaulterror wrote:
Penn wrote:The second issue is not enough people using LMDE. I know, it isn't Mint's fault. But I have been watching that sub-forum since I installed it a few weeks ago and there isn't much activity there at all. Surprising to me since I noticed two things.

One, it uses less memory, both when idle at boot and to run apps. I open 3 or 4 browser tabs on this very site in Ubuntu based immediately after boot and I'm easily over 25% of my memory (5% used just for a freshly opened browser on new tab layout and about 10 to 15% for just for the browser with all those tabs). Open 3 or 4 in LMDE and I'm under 20% (about 3% for the previously mentioned new tab page and less than 10% for all the fully loaded tabs). Oh and if more people were using LMDE my outstanding question may have gotten a response, lol.

The other I noticed is less issues with my video card. In LMDE is I don't have to use fglrx drivers and catalyst on my integrated ATI card for all things to display correct (but I am do have firmware_linux_nonfree which was already installed, unlike in Debian where I had to install it).
I'd use LMDE, but I'm too lazy to install my drivers. It really needs the Mint driver manager. That, and I lose PPA access. I only use a couple PPAs for things not in the Debian/Ubuntu repositories, but they are so convenient when you don't want to be hassled with installing build dependencies and compiling by hand. It's especially useful to have a PPA when upgrading the system, as a hand-installed application could break when its dependencies are upgraded, forcing you to recompile and reinstall. StepMania and the latest version of Wine are the two most important programs for which I need PPAs. Hand compiling/installing them is a hassle. (StepMania isn't in the Debian repositories after all these years. There must be a licensing issue.) Maybe I'd be able to find a .deb file somewhere, but, again, a hassle.

But if there's no upgrade path from Mint 17 to Mint 18, I might give LMDE a try anyway. I think it's good to have a Debian-based spin, in case Mint ever needs to part ways with the Ubuntu base. If they can just get a cool driver manager working in LMDE, it would be nearly perfect.
I can see the driver manager being a major plus but if you had my luck it would change from being needed in Ubuntu based to not only NOT being needed in the Debian based, the FGLRX driver (which I installed with driver manager in Ubuntu base) actually breaks things. In Ubuntu base the nonfree firmware is called "linux-firmware-nonfree" and Debian it is "firmware-linux-nonfree" and the nonfree in Debian just works for me. Nvidia or other hardware may be a different story and, I agree, finding the implementation of a driver can be a huge pain. I did it on a different computer for the hda-intel sound card that didn't like 17.2 (also actual Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.04). That same soundcard had no issues on the Debian and Fedora versions I tried but there are things in Mint I prefer, such as your mention of driver manager but also update manager, nonfree included and a few other things. Mint was the first Linux I tried and everything else showed me why it has surpassed some longer standing distros (well, depending on your source, some or even all).
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

This seems like a good topic in which to ask - again - for some help with copy / paste.

Mint (17.2 - KDE) is the only OS I have used (Windows, Linux, even Apple if you remap the keys) where control+C (and/or control+V) does NOT work RELIABLY. Sometimes the keyboard shortcuts work... and sometimes they don't. I have asked about this before, and not received a definitive answer. This situation has very nearly caused me to abandon Mint. I've depended on those very simple shortcuts for so long that I want to explode when I copy something then it refuses to paste.

Someone said to use the mouse to copy and paste - but that is NOT a keyboard shortcut. And, if it is supposed to work, but doesn't, is it a problem with my computer? No. I've had the same problem on a different computer, and I've heard about the same problem on the computer of a friend I convinced to give Mint a try.

Every time this happens my frustration level goes through the roof.

Can it be fixed? Is there a keyboard shortcut that works reliably to copy and paste? I don't think this is "rocket science" since every other OS I've encountered has mastered the concept and implementation.

BTW: Mint is my 4th Linux distro. I really like it - much more than the previous ones I have used. And, I have no other issues. But, this one is making me nuts (more nuts).

Any help will be truly appreciated !!
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

[quote="tovian"]This seems like a good topic in which to ask - again - for some help with copy / paste.

Mint (17.2 - KDE) is the only OS I have used (Windows, Linux, even Apple if you remap the keys) where control+C (and/or control+V) does NOT work RELIABLY.

The only place I have found where Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V do not work for Copy/Paste is from the command line. Either a console or a terminal session. This is because those shortcuts already had established uses long before Apple ignored an existing standard and created a new one. The circle was complete when MS adopted it for Windows ... except when working from the command prompt, where Ctrl-C is used to kill a job.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

BenTrabetere wrote:The only place I have found where Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V do not work for Copy/Paste is from the command line. Either a console or a terminal session. This is because those shortcuts already had established uses long before Apple ignored an existing standard and created a new one. The circle was complete when MS adopted it for Windows ... except when working from the command prompt, where Ctrl-C is used to kill a job.
Yes, Apple created their own 'standard' - but they used command-C and command-V. It was Microsoft who broke the rest of the world when it copy-catted Apple - but since there's no command key on a PC keyboard, they remapped Apple's scheme to the ctrl key - ctrl-C and ctrl-V. DUH. Everyone else, including their own MS-DOS, was already using ctrl-C as a 'break' or 'cancel' command. So you can thank Microsoft for your habits and their resulting incompatibilities.
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Just an observation from a non-participant ... but I note this thread actually started over six years ago and now extends to many pages of posts. As it rolls on into its seventh year, I wonder how much good it is doing us all.

The thread's title sometimes makes it act as a lightning conductor for angry or frustrated users who cannot get something to work. People have used it to "vent" a wide range of discontents and complaints and the discussion sometimes gets heated - but perhaps some of these problems and dissatisfactions might have been better dealt with, from everyone's point of view, by people making requests for support in the appropriate "support" section of the forum. Posts in the "support" boards might also result in useful discussion threads which provide advice that other users will find more readily in future.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

However well intentioned some of you are to share your constructive feedback here on what you think could/should be improved, a better place is the suggestions & new ideas forum. Similarly fraxinus_63 put it very well how frustrated users should probably instead use the support forums. Piling either on this the already 20 pages of posts isn't very useful. I'm locking this 6 year old topic.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”