What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Symmetry
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by Symmetry »

The lack of inclusion of a Samba GUI (and Samba itself?) along with Gigolo. I find these absolutely essential, as I haven't been able to read Windows shares without Gigolo (which made it extremely easy) and a Samba GUI would help a lot with share configuration.

Also, for LM LXDE, a small gripe that I know won't be fixed (because that would be partially counterproductive): no mintMenu port or equivalency. I sometimes wish I had started with and configured GNOME, because that menu is so great - especially with the integrated apt in 10.

JessiRay
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JessiRay »

For me it's mainly the bugs. I'm not sure if it's KDE or mint here but my internet applications aren't getting sound, and my Banshee music player crashes on me sometimes. Amarok is good, but it doesn't scrobble with last.fm. This is kind of disappointing because everything I read told me it was less buggy than Ubuntu, which I was using before.

marian1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marian1 »

Linux works very well but I find the lack of important updates to be a bit of a problem with linux.I rely a lot on updates to make my computer work well.

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

marian1 wrote:Linux works very well but I find the lack of important updates to be a bit of a problem with linux.I rely a lot on updates to make my computer work well.

"Important updates"?
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Symmetry wrote:Also, for LM LXDE, a small gripe that I know won't be fixed (because that would be partially counterproductive): no mintMenu port or equivalency. I sometimes wish I had started with and configured GNOME, because that menu is so great - especially with the integrated apt in 10.
I read somewhere in the forums where a guy got mintMenu working in Fluxbox. So it can be done. Search the Fluxbox section. it should be in there somewhere.

rijnsma
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rijnsma »

tekdawg wrote:Being new on the scene and not knowing the philosophies behind each distro other then packaging there products to attract a certain type of user, it would appear, and I can only speak for myself, these new distros which are constantly pushing the envelop will no doubt loose a percentage of users with there insistenc on using grub2. The most attractive feature, or I should say the feature that pushed me towards Linux was the fact I could install a distro and always have my windows partition to fall back on. This allowed me to learn at my own pace and if there was something important, I knew I could rely on my windows skill set to get me through. Like anyone else, once I found out about a Mint upgrade I was all over it. The hell I have put myself through is enough to ditch Mint forever. Why there was no warning that first of all grub2 was replacing the normal grub but most important why no warning that every partition on every drive would no longer be accessible. No doubt there must exist a way through this but it most definitely is not easy. To make a long entire weekend fit into one sentence, 750 gig of information down the tube lost in cyber space...and you still cant install a distro that doesn't have grub2 and be able to access it. I realise I'm a little impatient or daring whichever you like but bottom line is, for myself, I HATE GRUB2...I love Mint and I'll be going back to 7.1 but it will now share time with PCLinuxOS...If there exist a simple walk through, I would welcome trying to access these lost partitions otherwise...thank you for giving me a forum to vent my frustrations
Mike
I have a mulitboot system here and I'm stille using Mint 8 on ext3, because some OS's
don't mix with ext3 and Grub2. One has to do Grub or Grub2, not both I'm sorry to say.
Sooner or later on a favourable moment I'll switch to ext4 and Grub2. I hate these things too, but...
I knew the matter beforehand and I will not have the problems you had. I can feel your pain.
I have had other (sometimes longstanding) suckings. So I know what it can be...
I have seen the ext4 and Grub2 move as silly and dangerous for Linux. (For ex. marketshare, wich is
no too 'big'.)
Was there not a simple workaround, and then the switch, instead of sudden Grub2/ext4 death?
For the rest is the Ubuntu/Mint-release-cycle very short in my opinion.
But after all those other linux-distro's and in spite of all, I still do like Mint very much. :D

pgradone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pgradone »

Joylove wrote:Probably the lack of a netinstall (something around 128mb~) and a simplified hardware detection utility.
IMHO, why not a single ISO version netinstall that:

- Like Debian, would fit onto a single tiny CD?
- Better than Debian, would provide the choice between the 4 desktops (Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, Xfce) at install time (anyone of 4, with chois of initial default session)?

As I am sure people like me are persuaded that LinuxMint is so great, don't need a live version to prove it and are downloading ISOs and packages from internet anyway, why not combine install + download? Of course, those would be the newbies like me willing to build desktop system from the ground up for them, family's or friend's outdated machines :D

Ronshere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronshere »

I would like to have wifi working when i install it on a laptop but the drivers are not included???
I have to use other distros that set up the wifi as it is installing. I run PCLinuxOS on my laptops.
It works beautifully but I prefer deb packages, etc.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Most importantly, when I boot into a newly installed Mint, my first thought is, "Oh, this is ugly!"
I immediately install my favorite Cinnamon and GTK themes so that I can look at the screen without being upset.
I understand the need to be conservative to possibly fit into a business environment - but a mint green theme (such as the forum) would be better, as the default.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

rijnsma
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rijnsma »

Just like (XKL)Ubuntu too short lifecycle. Only LTS is comfortable.
More apps like the 'handhelds' would be nice. 'Content' is somewhat a problem in Linux...

wanderer7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wanderer7 »

I voted for bugs and I meant the infamous brightness problem. Thanks to our forum member - roblm, this bug doesn't exist for me any more. But still, a bug is a bug.
If I could vote twice, I would vote for hardware incompatibility too. Anyway, I can't believe the majority of users here are unhappy with updates. :?

Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Previous1 »

Voted for bugs.

PS: This thread is 4 years old...
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit

turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

The most aggravating thing is the black screen whilst it is booting, without the option of a verbose boot in safe mode so you can see when things go wrong. Also the black screen whilst booting the Live version often tells the monitor to go into stand-by.

pgmer6809
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pgmer6809 »

Regarding Installation two things:
1) I would really like a nicely documented step by step on how to reliably upgrade. Including saving the pkg list, saving the home directory, (but not the stuff that would get overwritten anyway like the .desktop directory) etc. Just saying, "Do a clean install" is not enough. I want to keep all the data files that are in my home directory, but I don't need to keep a lot of the config files that are there. I also don't want to have to manually re-install all the extra apps that I have. I know apt can make a list of pkgs currently installed and then work from that list after I have upgraded, but the process should be documented for ease of use.

2) I would like to be able to install from an ISO file on disk. i.e. be able to install to a blank partition, but without having to boot from a DVD. That would save me having to burn a DVD just so I could install the system. (Booting from a USB stick is NOT an option on most of my machines.)

pgmer6809

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

pgmer6809 wrote: I would like to be able to install from an ISO file on disk. i.e. be able to install to a blank partition, but without having to boot from a DVD. That would save me having to burn a DVD just so I could install the system. (Booting from a USB stick is NOT an option on most of my machines.)
There are 3 ways to do that: (well, 2 anyway, plus a third option for installing Mint)
Method 1:
Using grml-rescueboot to boot an iso on your hard drive
- This works great for me with Mint 16 Cinnamon.
If you want to install Mint to any usb drive or empty partition, install the grml-rescueboot program.
sudo apt-get install grml-rescueboot

Then make sure that the /boot/grml folder exists. If it does not exist, create it with the command.
sudo mkdir /boot/grml

Place your Mint ISO in the /boot/grml folder.
For example, if the ISO is located in the user's Downloads folder, the command would be:
sudo cp ~/Downloads/Mintfilename.iso /boot/grml/

Update GRUB
sudo update-grub

This automatically adds a menuentry to the GRUB menu for any ISO files located in the /boot/grml folder.
The created menuentry, when selected, provides submenu options on how to boot the ISO, including the "Try Mint" and "Install" options.

Now reboot, and choose the iso menuentry, and it will run just like booting the live DVD.

Method 2:
Boot .iso from hard drive using grub:
Easy as 1, 2, 3.
Mint 16 Cinnamon used here as an example. You can use a different iso, and you can also use multiple iso files - just add more menu entries.

1) You have to copy the .iso to your / partition. It won't work if it is on a different partition. (Other partitions are not mounted during the boot process.) So copy it to the /boot folder.
sudo cp /home/yourusername/Downloads/linuxmint-16-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.iso /boot/

2) Then you have to tell GRUB that it is there and how to load it by editing the text file, /etc/grub.d/40_custom
(assuming that gedit is your text editor)
gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
or
kdesudo kate /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Add these lines to that text file:
menuentry "Mint 16 Cinnamon iso" {
set isofile="/boot/linuxmint-16-cinnamon-dvd-64bit.iso"
loopback loop (hd0,1)$isofile
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject toram
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

If you don't have at least 2GB of ram you will have to remove the toram option.
Save, and exit gedit.

3) Update GRUB
sudo update-grub

Reboot, and the iso will be on your GRUB menu. You can then boot the iso and it will run just like it would from a DVD. You can install Mint 16 to any partition or drive (including usb) EXCEPT that you cannot install Mint 16 to the partition that you booted on - your / partition.

Booting without a GRUB Menuentry
Although GRUB 2 must be installed and working, it is not required to have a menuentry in order to boot the ISO. Booting can be accomplished from the GRUB prompt by manually typing in each command in the menuentry example (except the menuentry title line).

If you have the Grub Customizer program, you can create a custom GRUB entry with that program, also.

Method 3:
Install the ubiquity program (the Mint installer program)
This only works to install the same version of Mint that you already have installed.
sudo apt-get install ubiquity-frontend-gtk
For KDE the command is
sudo apt-get install ubiquity

One critical piece of information:
when you load an iso from the hard drive, and run the Mint installer program, you will get a pop-up message warning you that you have mounted partitions asking if you want to unmount them. Answer NO. If you answer YES the installer program will quit.
You are running the iso from a mounted partition, and it cannot run if you try to unmount it's partition.

EDIT: I had to move Method 3: because I originally placed it in the wrong location in my first post.
Last edited by austin.texas on Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

stacey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stacey »

This thread really got resurrected! I am currently happy because I installed Mint 13 and it's working for me. But previously I was running Mint 16 and it had a bug I couldn't figure out how to deal with. I have a Lenovo T61 laptop with Nvidia graphics, and successfully followed the instructions to make it resume after suspend (good) but then I found that if I left the lid open, and left it inactive, it would completely lock up (bad). It was completely unresponsive. After rebooting multiple times a day for days when I would get distracted and forget to close the lid, I tried Mint 13. Why did they break it in a later version, when it works fine in 13?

wanderer7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wanderer7 »

stacey wrote:This thread really got resurrected! I am currently happy because I installed Mint 13 and it's working for me. But previously I was running Mint 16 and it had a bug I couldn't figure out how to deal with. I have a Lenovo T61 laptop with Nvidia graphics, and successfully followed the instructions to make it resume after suspend (good) but then I found that if I left the lid open, and left it inactive, it would completely lock up (bad). It was completely unresponsive. After rebooting multiple times a day for days when I would get distracted and forget to close the lid, I tried Mint 13. Why did they break it in a later version, when it works fine in 13?
I don't have an answer to your question, but it seems this is your first post. So, welcome to the Linux Mint forum. :D
Hopefully, the bug will be gone in Mint 17.

endafresh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by endafresh »

What am I dissatisfied with?
Arrogance. Sheer 'computer geek' arrogance by most of the Linux community.

Linux 'pros' seem to give the entire computer geek community a bad name by insisting on obscure/complex systems of engagement (use the console herp derp!!! IZ SO EZ!!!) instead of implementing a far more user-friendly solution.
Goodness forbid they shove their egos up their asses and swallow their pride to allow everyone who IS NOT a computer wizard to be able to use GNU/Linux in day to day activities. If you want your obscure console crap then there's another distro for that; so knock yourselves out.

This crap is why I keep Linux Mint on my laptop for limited uses and keep Win7 x64 as my main. I'm honestly considering going to Ubuntu instead (or moving 'up' to Debian) just so that I don't have to deal with this toxic of a 'community'.

I find it amusing that these forums don't even have something as basic as a secured https login. The hell are you all still living in the 1990s or some shit? >_>

TLDR: RTFM
-Terrible interface design (no unified control panel because reasons)
-Terrible lack of user-friendly design mechanics (still need the console for some of the most basic actions)
-Repositories are a mess and disgustingly out of date for even well-maintained ones (Firefox in particular; y u no backport security patches)
-This community moreso than any others should be focused on making Linux accessible to the masses yet fails spectacularly in nearly every possible way.
-No secured forum login like we're living in the damn 1990s.

endafresh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by endafresh »

austin.texas wrote:*wall of text snip*
Here's how you install Windows 7.
-Insert DVD that you downloaded/burned from official M$ website.
-Click 'Install'
-Follow prompts
-Done! It'll even automatically do the Edits of BCD to modify the bootloader without additional intervention.

Here's how you install Mac OS X.
-insert DVD
-Click 'Install'
-Follow prompts
-Done!

So why the hell is Linux Mint (supposedly the 'user friendly' Linux distro) so far behind? Why? >_>

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

@endafresh, I don't see how your instructions for installing Windows 7 or OsX are any different than for installing linux Mint. I have to admit that I have never used a Mac but Mint is even easier and faster to install than Windows.

As for the your other post, simple fact is Mint is one of the easiest to use Linux distros out of the box. Ubuntu in my experience it pretty similar and I'm not sure where you get the idea that Debian is somehow going to be easier. A lot of things can be done in Mint without turning to the terminal but when trying to help someone out it's easier most of the time to give simple terminal commands that can be copied and pasted. It sure beats long convoluted instructions for finding all the right buttons and checkboxes in some GUI.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”