What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Superewza

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by Superewza »

I'd say the fact that the version of Gnome that Helena uses doesn't allow log in screen theme changes.
micro1

Post by micro1 »

i love it !!!! linux mint kde 64 thank you for such a nice work you have done
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

What am I most dissatisfied with?

It is boring! It just works, it never breaks, there is just no action, nothing to do. Day after day, it just does what an OS should do. I have to change wallpaper or theme just to see if it is still alive. It is like having a teenage son, it just lays around all day doing nothing. Except Mint never talks back, it always listens and does as it is told. Open this! Bam! Copy that and move it here. Bam! Play some music. Bam! I wait and wait for a bug to show up so I can have something to do...But NO! :twisted: Not THIS distro...

Mint is just too perfect.
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

Probably the lack of a netinstall (something around 128mb~) and a simplified hardware detection utility.
_h_

Post by _h_ »

I'm satisfied with LM8, so no vote.
bigBuckets

Post by bigBuckets »

I love LM8, with little to complain about...

I browse my files as a detailed list so I didn't like not being able to drag and select multiple files in Nautilus.

I installed Thunar and got that feature back. I tried to set Thunar as the default file manager but I lost my desktop icons and autorun features. I compromised by leaving Nautilus as the default, and putting Thunar in my favorites menu.
Daveleh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Daveleh »

I have recently started using Mint8 and must say I am very pleased with it. The extra keys on my laptop keyboard now work as they are supposed to and my usb speakers work across all apps, these things werent possible in the KDE distro I was using.

However (and there's always an however :wink: ) I would like an easy way to change the default file manager. I have dolphin installed, which I used previously, and whilst it works fine from the menu, the panel, as a shortcut on the desktop and by using alt-f2 I cannot find anyway to replace Nautilus with it.

Regards
Daveleh
Cornwall, UK

Go on - walk1000miles.co.uk

Mint 19.3 xfce fully updated on an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop with 4Gb memory and 750Gb HDD
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

What I don't like about Mint? The Ubuntu base.

Much respect to Ubuntu for taking Linux to the next level since 2004... but sometimes their decisions defy logic. Remember the problems with Intel graphics, or the Kubuntu release that was incompatible with wireless networking out of the box, or suspend/resume either working or not working from release to release...?

I'm sure if Mint had the resources to host and maintain our own repos, we'd eclipse other distros in no small way.
smino2010

Post by smino2010 »

I have to say Nautilus. After several months of using it, it still drives me crazy, and every now and then I get 100% cpu usage when accessing shares for now apparent reason. If I kill Nautilus and go back to the same share, all is good. Is Nautilus really the best share?

Second, I think Linux Mint could do a better job with the repositories it includes. Especially those with support for Nvidia and ion chips/drivers, and smbplayer that supports nvidia hardware accelaration. I am not saying install it by default, just have the repos there for those of us who want it.

Keep in mind I am a newbie when it comes to linux. The less tinkering I have to do for myself and freinds, the better.
Google Chrome, Picasa, Google Earth, VLC, are all apps I find I have to install after the fact.
Screen capture software should already be on the menu bar as well.

I really love Linux Mint, and I would not have dumped MS XP/Vista/7 for linux without it! Keep up the great work guys...
Now if Codeweavers could get more games and Adobe products CS4 Master to work with linux, along with google Sketch.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

smino2010 wrote:I have to say Nautilus. After several months of using it, it still drives me crazy, and every now and then I get 100% cpu usage when accessing shares for now apparent reason. If I kill Nautilus and go back to the same share, all is good. Is Nautilus really the best share?

Second, I think Linux Mint could do a better job with the repositories it includes. Especially those with support for Nvidia and ion chips/drivers, and smbplayer that supports nvidia hardware accelaration. I am not saying install it by default, just have the repos there for those of us who want it.

Keep in mind I am a newbie when it comes to linux. The less tinkering I have to do for myself and freinds, the better.
Google Chrome, Picasa, Google Earth, VLC, are all apps I find I have to install after the fact.
Screen capture software should already be on the menu bar as well.

I really love Linux Mint, and I would not have dumped MS XP/Vista/7 for linux without it! Keep up the great work guys...
Now if Codeweavers could get more games and Adobe products CS4 Master to work with linux, along with google Sketch.
Easy! Open synaptic and install Thunar. This is the Xfce file manager.

As far as repos, I do not understand what you are talking about? Mint cues you to install the nvidia driver. Try using synaptic as the package manager front end for your other needs. Mint includes the Ubuntu repos, I fail to see how you could possibly need anything more?

Screen capture is included. I am not sure about the other apps but you need to understand that the decision of what to include in the ISO is a balancing act at best. But this is no problem as you have repos with all these packages. Install is a click away.

You might want to try the Linux Xfce community edition, it may be more to your liking.
smino2010

Post by smino2010 »

Actually I just stumbled upon Mint's competition. Something to consider adding to Mint to stay on top.

Super OS (formerly: Super Ubuntu) is just a modified version of Ubuntu 9.10 (see: Super OS and Ubuntu) with the goal of making it more usable and trying to remain compatible with Ubuntu.

Features compared to Ubuntu:

* Patched with 169 updates released for Ubuntu 9.10
* Better Multimedia Support: VLC, support for DVD-playback, MP3 support and for other formats, like QuickTime video, Real video, Windows Media Video, Flash Video, DivX, Xvid, (.mov, .wmv, .flv, .avi, etc...) etc...
* Internet software: aMSN, Opera, Google Chrome, Skype, Firefox with Flash and Moonlight (missing picasa, google earth, )
* Portable Applications available (RUNZ included)
* Programs are easier to run: App Runner is included
* Mount tar.gz/.zip/.rar/.iso files with File mounter
* Other software: Java, Ubuntu Tweak, GParted (+ NTFS support)
* System beep is disabled
* Super OS now has it's own repository, in addition to the official Ubuntu repositories
* Live USB creator (cd2usb) right from the DVD menu (see second image)
* Most commonly used KDE and QT libraries included (for easier deployment of software and portable apps)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

smino2010 wrote:Actually I just stumbled upon Mint's competition. Something to consider adding to Mint to stay on top.

Super OS (formerly: Super Ubuntu) is just a modified version of Ubuntu 9.10 (see: Super OS and Ubuntu) with the goal of making it more usable and trying to remain compatible with Ubuntu.

Features compared to Ubuntu:

* Patched with 169 updates released for Ubuntu 9.10
* Better Multimedia Support: VLC, support for DVD-playback, MP3 support and for other formats, like QuickTime video, Real video, Windows Media Video, Flash Video, DivX, Xvid, (.mov, .wmv, .flv, .avi, etc...) etc...
* Internet software: aMSN, Opera, Google Chrome, Skype, Firefox with Flash and Moonlight (missing picasa, google earth, )
* Portable Applications available (RUNZ included)
* Programs are easier to run: App Runner is included
* Mount tar.gz/.zip/.rar/.iso files with File mounter
* Other software: Java, Ubuntu Tweak, GParted (+ NTFS support)
* System beep is disabled
* Super OS now has it's own repository, in addition to the official Ubuntu repositories
* Live USB creator (cd2usb) right from the DVD menu (see second image)
* Most commonly used KDE and QT libraries included (for easier deployment of software and portable apps)
Actually, Linux desktop distros are not in competition with each other...or anything else for that matter. There is really no gain or loss in relation to the number of users a distro has. They are free of charge, just download it and install. Some of the newer folks like to play the distrowatch game and see Mint ranking on top...But most of us do not care. We use what fits the bill. In many cases for me it is Mint, but in others I have been using Arch lately. Linux is basically Linux though, what you can do with one distro can be done with any distro.

I am glad you found a distro you like right from the box. I have never heard of superOS, I will certainly give it a try in the next few weeks. :D
_h_

Post by _h_ »

FedoraRefugee wrote: Actually, Linux desktop distros are not in competition with each other...or anything else for that matter.
Open sourced software really doesn't compete with each other, but actually helps each other grow together, unlike companies like Microsoft and Apple who try to monopoly one another.
stevefed5291

Post by stevefed5291 »

I'm fairly content with Mint. The only thing that I might want to see implemented is a feature in the installer that allows you to select which programs you want to begin with. The default Mint install comes with many programs that I don't use, and while I'll admit they're not exactly a burden on system resources, it would help make the system tidier.

The 5min screen goes black thing is annoying as well. Yes I know how to fix it, but for all the Linux-noobies it's very frustrating to see the screen go black even after you seemingly turned the option off.

Neither of these are particularly sincere grievances. I really do love mint, and i'll admit it took several minutes to try to come up with something that could possibly be wrong with it. :lol:
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?
Some bugs and release cycle. It's too short. But bugs are worse.
Fluxx

Post by Fluxx »

The only problem I'm having is really in my dated hardware, and not in Mint. I have to use Mint 7 for now, because somehow kernel 2.6.30 and higher won't run on this machine. I've tried enough different distros now to know it's not distro specific, it's the kernel and my hardware. I'm solving this problem by learing a lot more about Linux, because I may learn to roll my own kernel with customizations that will run on this machine, or if all else fails, Debian Lenny should be old stable for awhile longer, which should buy me some time. There was a 'dark night of the kernel' as I call it back in versions ..22, 23, 24, and 25, then *bam* version ..26 hits and it runs again until ..30. Perhaps ..33 will run on this machine. If not, by 2012, if the world still stands, I should be able to build a newer, faster, glitzier machine. Oh, boy.

but, MINT rocks! It's my first choice for newbies, and my wife loves it! :mrgreen:
JackBW

Post by JackBW »

When I first installed V 7, I was completely confused and maddened (being a first time Linux user) with the automatic desktop switcher...I guess that's what it's called. I would be touching the trackpad with a window up and suddenly this 4-panel grid would flash into sight with an arrow pointing to the left and my screen or window was GONE! Wait, what? What happened? It took me weeks to find out what that was and disable it. With Ubuntu, at least the available spaces/desktops are purposely selectable with a click in the corner. But a trackpad used in Mint, if not handled very accurately, makes the whole desktop disappear. Very disconcerting for a newbie--and still don't much like it.
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

I won't be voting... I'm delighted with LM7 on my netbook, used solely for wifi websurfing. I kept Windows on it, dual boot, but in the month or so since putting on Mint I haven't actually needed to boot into Windows at all :)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

The only thing I could think of is the default Minty Firefox and Google Search. I'd love it if an option was presented, perhaps immediately post-install, to either use that stuff or not use it. I know that if you dig around you can find out how tor turn it off, but I kinda wish that Mint was a little more up-front about it. As it stands, the first thing I do is install Firefox from Mozilla and bypass the Minty Firefox.

The short release cycle would be an issue for me but I stick with the LTS versions anyway.

Otherwise, I think Mint is great, and it's difficult to find anything at all to complain about.
Robin

Post by Robin »

MALsPa wrote:The only thing I could think of is the default Minty Firefox and Google Search. I'd love it if an option was presented, perhaps immediately post-install, to either use that stuff or not use it. I know that if you dig around you can find out how tor turn it off, but I kinda wish that Mint was a little more up-front about it. As it stands, the first thing I do is install Firefox from Mozilla and bypass the Minty Firefox.
That seems like alot of trouble just to change the default search. You can just click on the little arrow just to the right of the G (upper right of the screen) and scroll down to Manage Search Engines. You can add Google -Language EN (English) from Mozilla just like any other Firefox add-on.

I'm really enjoying the Mint 8 Xfce RC right now. Reeeeeally fast (who needs LXDE, lol - really, to me there's no discernible difference in speed or demand on resources), with all the way cool Minty freshness too.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”