What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
temetka
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by temetka »

There should be an "I am satisfied / happy with Linux Mint" option in the poll.

I have used a LOT of distro's over the years and Linux Mint has remained my favorite for a long time.

It's stable, quick, easy to customize is debian based.

Now if only I made enough $$ then I could donate.
grumpus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grumpus »

Probably the loss some of the minor things.
The "recent files" list in the main menu, inability to move the terminal to the panel.
I've been using Linux distributions long enough to know there's always going to be some hardware issues and since the software is volunteered there shouldn't be any complaint with the OS as much as the change or loss of packages.
Some of the "forced" cross-platform conditions like samba and tomboy, I don't want anything MS based on the system but maybe I should have gone Cinnamon instead of Mate but just guessing. I also don't use the "cloud" if I can help it nor want to support or use amazon, facebook or twitter but they are prevalent and a pain to remove from the system.
Most of these gripes are minor because the bulk of the system is really nice and easy to use.
My first install of Linux Mint 14 32bit took nine hours to install the live dvd and the accompanying repository (from OSdisc)
The same install for Linux Mint 16 64bit took two hours and 10 minutes (64 GB) and the repo had 18 discs instead of 15 with the previous.
Both were through an OEM 24x Lite-on Dvd/cd to a Samsung 840 SSD (system is i7 Intel on Sabertooth board)
All in all I prefer it to Ubuntu in some ways not having to use the Unity Menu, it's a lot of travel on a 24 inch monitor @1920 x 1080.
You could lose the favorites, too much like MS.
Uhhh, maybe this will work?
mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

Can't run MS Office without running Windows in VBox.
Takes me hours (seems like) to get my wifi laser printer working each time I upgrade my OS.
Graphics are better in Windows
Printer support and print quality is better in Windows
No/poor Android phone/iPad support
Poor games support
A few compatibility problems, eg: Java and Chrome.
The endless problems in this forum that I help people cope with that are basic and never seem to get fixed.
Linux devotees who entirely blame users incompetence for linux' shortcomings.

But I still use Mint as my primary OS. :)
Cammo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cammo »

mintybits wrote:Can't run MS Office without running Windows in VBox.
Poor games support
A few compatibility problems, eg: Java and Chrome.
Linux devotees who entirely blame users incompetence for linux' shortcomings.
+1 for each. +10 for the last one.
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

To my mind that is a little like saying that the fact that I cant fuel my petrol car with diesel is the fault of my cars manufacturer... Only Microsoft can make there software available on other systems and why would they when they are in the business of making money.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

Hi i voted 'Other' because i love linux mint 17 for me every thing works and just love the Cinnamon De plus i can change 'THEMES' any thing i want, got netflix-desktop working very good now this is installed on my 2 pc waiting for LMDE new Cinnamon 2,2 that will be my Main pc ,linux mint is for me one of the Best linux Os around., thank you Clem and company,ray
mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

WinterTroubles wrote:
To my mind that is a little like saying that the fact that I cant fuel my petrol car with diesel is the fault of my cars manufacturer... Only Microsoft can make there software available on other systems and why would they when they are in the business of making money.
The benefit of having a free linux OS is eroded if you still have to buy Windows to do your vital computing tasks. I am dissastisfied that I have to buy Windows OS so that my household can use MS Office. We have to use MS Office because it is the defacto standard for many schools and businesses. It is also a more refined office suite than Open Office. I would expect to pay for MS Office for linux. There is an Apple OS version after all. How this might come about I don't know.
Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by Zalbor »

mintybits wrote:How this might come about I don't know.
Send an e-mail to Microsoft asking them to make it. In any case they're the only ones who can do anything about it.
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

Apologies, I didn't mean to suggest that your issue wasn't a real one or that it wasn't a major dissatisfaction. I was merely suggesting that the cause of this issue is beyond the control of Linux Mint and that any dissatisfaction should be aimed towards Microsoft for using their market dominance and copyright/patent law to prevent the open source community from using certain file types, hence forcing people to use MS Office and pay for windows if that's what their employer uses.

I'm not asking, or expecting, you to agree with me.. I'm just stating my opinion.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I voted the first option, because after all, the most important thing for the user are the programs. The OS is fine, however, the delayed update process of LMDE can be a problem for some users (see the complaints in the LMDE subforum).
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

mintybits wrote: The benefit of having a free linux OS is eroded if you still have to buy Windows to do your vital computing tasks.
Probably many users don't buy Windows, they simply use an "unofficial" copy downloaded from the web or borrowed from a friend.
Active Distros in my computers: LM19.3 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce); SparkyLinux (Xfce); Manjaro (Xfce)
mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

WinterTroubles wrote:Apologies, I didn't mean to suggest that your issue wasn't a real one or that it wasn't a major dissatisfaction. I was merely suggesting that the cause of this issue is beyond the control of Linux Mint and that any dissatisfaction should be aimed towards Microsoft for using their market dominance and copyright/patent law to prevent the open source community from using certain file types, hence forcing people to use MS Office and pay for windows if that's what their employer uses.

I'm not asking, or expecting, you to agree with me.. I'm just stating my opinion.
No need to apologize. :) I do understand and agree with your point. It is up to Microsoft to support linux OS. So I should be dissastisfied with Microsoft or perhaps with Open office to some degree. I already have such a tall pile of dissatisfactions with Microsoft that I suppose I am just avoiding having to stretch up really high to add another bit of dissatisfaction on top. I suppose it depends whether one is judging linux as a whole computing solution or not. But what a motivator it would be for more people to use linux if MS Office ran on it.
mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

xfrank wrote:
mintybits wrote: The benefit of having a free linux OS is eroded if you still have to buy Windows to do your vital computing tasks.
Probably many users don't buy Windows, they simply use an "unofficial" copy downloaded from the web or borrowed from a friend.
True. Or they "remove" the activation requirement. But those are other people not worthy of the high ethical standards of the Mint forum, of course. 8)
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

mintybits wrote: But what a motivator it would be for more people to use linux if MS Office ran on it.

Which is exactly why Microsoft are unlikely to ever produce a Linux compatible version of MS Office, we can but dream though :mrgreen:
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

GNU Terry Pratchett
JSeymour
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JSeymour »

You don't suppose Microsoft knows that, do you?
mintybits wrote: There is an Apple OS version after all. How this might come about I don't know.
I'd wager Microsoft is doing that for only two reasons: To keep anti-trust problems at bay and because they don't regard OS X a threat.

Again: This is not something about which you, I or any of the various Linux development teams can do. It's up to Microsoft to make their software available on Linux platforms. Obviously they can do it. Witness MS Office on OS X (which is Unix).

I doubt they ever will.

ETA...

In all fairness, there are probably several reasons for that:
  • As mentioned: The last thing Microsoft wants to do is aid the popularity of Linux.
  • Which distro? Which package manager? Which kernel(s)? Which desktop version(s)? Which system libraries versions? This is probably the single biggest obstacle to any ISV.
  • Historically and traditionally, Linux users have not been particularly interested in spending money on applications. I've actually had an ISV tell me that was why they hadn't ported their Unix application, that I used under Solaris, to Linux.
Jim
mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits »

I just noticed this on the Adobe Flash Player download site:
NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.
:(
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Post by WinterTroubles »

mintybits wrote:I just noticed this on the Adobe Flash Player download site:
NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.
:(
Flash Player 11.2 was first released about two years ago so not only is this not breaking news, but, it also doesn't impact on your current level of functionality. It should be noted that, I believe, you actually do get a more recent version in Chrome on linux.. at least the version number for the flash plugin in chrome is a lot more recent.
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

GNU Terry Pratchett
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

whilst it's not directly something that the Mint team has done,
- the loss of some of the utilities, that were available in earlier releases of Mint,

some of them, were actually quite useful. ..

one of which was called Giver, which can be replaced by Gnome Commander,
but it's not as useful as Giver, which worked over your local network, as well.

also System Monitor is now broken in Mint 17, it seems.
- Bus Error.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
JSeymour
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JSeymour »

Pierre wrote: also System Monitor is now broken in Mint 17, it seems.
- Bus Error.
It is? I was just using it. Seemed fine. What's allegedly the problem?

Jim
rustleg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rustleg »

I've just installed and tweaked Mint 17 Mate and it appears to work flawlessly. I had a couple of issues with Mint 16 - couldn't play videos and my Epson WF-3520 kept disconnecting and wouldn't print. So far both work ok.

I do tweak it quite a bit to get the system I want, mainly software installs and configuration - takes a few hours. Also some cosmetic changes - e.g. file manager list view (could never understand why people apparently prefer an icon view of folder contents), single click, etc.

There's the odd nitpick. I'm a bit surprised that desktop launchers still don't work out of the box. Same problem as Mint 16 and maybe previous versions - I had to add a symlink for xterm.

But overall I'm very satisfied and use it for 95% of my computing. Have to resort to Windows for developing Office applications for a "client" (a local non-profit - I do the IT for gratis), although sometimes I do it remotely from the browser in Mint.

So I declined to vote anything as dissatisfied.

I give my eternal thanks to Linus and all the thousands of devs who came afterwards.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”