What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
MikeA36
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by MikeA36 »

For me it is a couple things. First is Flash issues, which I am aware is an Adobe issue but still is annoying. Second and more importantly is quirks with different hardware. On my old P4 Dell box, Mint 8 runs like a champ, and I use it every day. On my new Gateway laptop it has a number of issues. The trackpad is jumpy and almost useless, and the wi-fi drops in and out like crazy and after a few minutes refuses to connect at all, so I was forced to use Windows 7 to my utter dismay.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Robin wrote:
MALsPa wrote:As it stands, the first thing I do is install Firefox from Mozilla and bypass the Minty Firefox.
That seems like alot of trouble just to change the default search. You can just click on the little arrow just to the right of the G (upper right of the screen) and scroll down to Manage Search Engines. You can add Google -Language EN (English) from Mozilla just like any other Firefox add-on.
It's really not much trouble -- download it, copy and paste a few commands -- but changing the default search is certainly not the only reason, or even the main reason, that I prefer to install Firefox directly from Mozilla. It's an easy way to have the current Firefox version running on my system instead of the older version that's in the repos.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

MALsPa wrote:It's really not much trouble -- download it, copy and paste a few commands -- but changing the default search is certainly not the only reason, or even the main reason, that I prefer to install Firefox directly from Mozilla. It's an easy way to have the current Firefox version running on my system instead of the older version that's in the repos.
Can I ask a serious question? And really, it does have to do with Mint in general because in Mint apps are usually on the older side compared to more cutting edge distros. But just WHY are people so intent on having the latest version of everything? Take Firefox, this is an excellent example. What advantage does running the newest release hold? Very rarely is it any different than a previous release. Every once in a while they add something new or change something, but these changes are hardly noticeable. Meanwhile the browser does what it has always done; open web pages. No more, it does not sing to you give you a bath, scratch your back...It opens web pages. The Firefox I was using 5 years ago performed just as well as the version I am using now. It may have even been faster.

Then we have the question of add ons and themes. Really , this is the only reason I use a bloated pig like Firefox anyway. The thing is, these add ons tend to work better on the older versions. When a new version comes out it sometimes takes a while to port all the old stuff over. I would rather have a version of FF that had tons of themes and add ons to choose from than the latest version and nothing to chose from...yet.

Just a couple points I had. Believe me, I understand the urge to run the latest and greatest. That is why I used Fedora for years. But with cutting edge also comes bugs and new territory. I often fight myself and ask just why do I NEED the latest version of FF, OO.o, Gimp, or whatever when the old version performs quite well. Just a thought.
Robin

Post by Robin »

MikeA36 wrote:... the wi-fi drops in and out like crazy and after a few minutes refuses to connect at all, so I was forced to use Windows 7 to my utter dismay.
Before you give up on it, some people have found it helpful to use other network managers for wifi. With a wired connection, try installing wicd from Synaptic, or wifiradar.

Sometimes those work where the default might not. Worth a shot, anyway. And if it works, let us know!

Robin
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

FedoraRefugee wrote:
MALsPa wrote:It's really not much trouble -- download it, copy and paste a few commands -- but changing the default search is certainly not the only reason, or even the main reason, that I prefer to install Firefox directly from Mozilla. It's an easy way to have the current Firefox version running on my system instead of the older version that's in the repos.
Can I ask a serious question? And really, it does have to do with Mint in general because in Mint apps are usually on the older side compared to more cutting edge distros. But just WHY are people so intent on having the latest version of everything? Take Firefox, this is an excellent example. What advantage does running the newest release hold? Very rarely is it any different than a previous release. Every once in a while they add something new or change something, but these changes are hardly noticeable. Meanwhile the browser does what it has always done; open web pages. No more, it does not sing to you give you a bath, scratch your back...It opens web pages. The Firefox I was using 5 years ago performed just as well as the version I am using now. It may have even been faster.

Then we have the question of add ons and themes. Really , this is the only reason I use a bloated pig like Firefox anyway. The thing is, these add ons tend to work better on the older versions. When a new version comes out it sometimes takes a while to port all the old stuff over. I would rather have a version of FF that had tons of themes and add ons to choose from than the latest version and nothing to chose from...yet.

Just a couple points I had. Believe me, I understand the urge to run the latest and greatest. That is why I used Fedora for years. But with cutting edge also comes bugs and new territory. I often fight myself and ask just why do I NEED the latest version of FF, OO.o, Gimp, or whatever when the old version performs quite well. Just a thought.
Let me ask a serious question: Why do you care if other people want to run the latest version of something?

In my case, I'm using Mint 5 (Elyssa) and the latest available Firefox version available in the repos is 3.0.17. So I'm using the one from Mozilla, version 3.6, which, as I recall, back when it came out was said to be a significant improvement over earlier versions. Firefox is one of the few applications that I concern myself with keeping current.

The fact that I use Mint 5 (Elyssa) might be an indication to you that I'm normally not concerned with running the latest and greatest.

But really this has nothing to do with the original topic of this thread, and it has very little to do with the main point of my first post in this thread. The fact that Mint doesn't offer the latest and most current version of Firefox isn't something that I'm dissatisfied with about Mint.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

MALsPa wrote:Let me ask a serious question: Why do you care if other people want to run the latest version of something?
I personally do not care what you use, is there any reason for you to be rude? I was just asking a general question.
In my case, I'm using Mint 5 (Elyssa) and the latest available Firefox version available in the repos is 3.0.17. So I'm using the one from Mozilla, version 3.6, which, as I recall, back when it came out was said to be a significant improvement over earlier versions. Firefox is one of the few applications that I concern myself with keeping current.

The fact that I use Mint 5 (Elyssa) might be an indication to you that I'm normally not concerned with running the latest and greatest.
And that is a great answer. I could have done without the attitude though.

So you do understand what I am getting at though. People usually complain about the latest version of FF until things settle in a bit.
But really this has nothing to do with the original topic of this thread, and it has very little to do with the main point of my first post in this thread. The fact that Mint doesn't offer the latest and most current version of Firefox isn't something that I'm dissatisfied with about Mint.
Okay, what does this have to do with the topic? One reason people can be dissatisfied with Mint is because it is more outdated than other distros. By the time it comes out the apps it contain are usually somewhat old. The point of my post was that unless you have a real compelling reason to have the latest release of an app then you might be better off with a version that has been out for a time. One that is much less buggy yet does the same exact job.

I edited some of what I originally said. I am the type of person who takes no crap and I do not mind being confrontational. Fair...I hope, but I will give it right back.

Two things changed my mind.

1. Up till now I have had no problems with MALsPA and even like him.

2. I just read this post from Ikey, and he is right.
Oh God.. :cry:
Gonna miss him .. my condolences to the family..
He was what made this place a community, please respect his memory..
In respect of Husse and his awesome job of moderating this forum I am retracting part of what I said. Go in peace MALsPA, I have nothing against you. I am sorry if you took my post the wrong way.
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

I don't have any real complaints about Mint. Perhaps two minor annoyances:
  • For whatever reason, Calibre installed from the apt-search within mintInstall would not import ebooks. I had to remove the package, then run the terminal command from Calibre's website to install.
  • Networking two computers together seems harder than it should. In Windows I plug in my workgroup name and password and I have access to the other computers on my home network. On Linux... I haven't figured it out yet, I can see the "Windows Network", but can't see the computers or printers within the network. Probably a Micro$oft issue; I haven't had the energy to tackle the problem.
OdderOtter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OdderOtter »

I have many points where I am dissatisfied.
I do not have support for my Cannon iP1500 printer.
The typing interface for most browsers once in a while lags until it is almost useless.
The needed notes/interaction/warnings etc are usually found behind the grayed out app that has been gray for too long.
I can not easily take anything/everything from the menu or elsewhere and create a shortcut. There have been several apps that I wanted to do that did not do this.

I will likely find a few more when I leave this comment
tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower »

Voting is fun, but in this case I think a bit more thought could have been given to the way the vote was framed

The question assumes that the user is using the latest version of Mint?
The Default theme - in which version Gnome, KDE? - please allow the voter to specify
The short release cycle - well Mint is derived from Ubuntu is the vote suggesting Mint should be based on the LTS version or updated once a year? (Of course the easy answer to this one is just do not upgrade to the latest version)
Hardware compatibility - something out of Mints control
Choice of default applications - please allow the voter to specify
tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower »

The topic you raised of the release cycle is a very good one though.

Mint is is not as big as Canonical but tries to improve on the Canonical products.

Trying to maintain the quality of all the different CE editions in addition to the main edition must use up valuable time that could otherwise spent developing Mint specific tools.

Would Mints popularity suffer if it had an annual release cycle?
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

tower wrote:The topic you raised of the release cycle is a very good one though.

Mint is is not as big as Canonical but tries to improve on the Canonical products.

Trying to maintain the quality of all the different CE editions in addition to the main edition must use up valuable time that could otherwise spent developing Mint specific tools.

Would Mints popularity suffer if it had an annual release cycle?
I believe yes, but probably not as bad as I imagine.

The thing is, there is nothing preventing people from continuing to use the older release, and especially the LTS release.

OTOH, I have seen complaints of a 6 month release cycle for 10 years now, especially as Fedora is the same way. And brother, when a new Fedora is released you have a whole new definition of "buggy!" But people always complain, "oh, it is too fast..." But the thing is when you ask who is running older releases not many raise their hands! Most everyone jumps on new releases, especially in Fedora where people have it installed weeks before it is actually released! I have, in fact, tried not only F13 but also F14 rawhide!

That would actually be a good poll; which Mint edition do you run? I bet most would be on Mint 8. I just upgraded mine yesterday, but that is because I run the Xfce edition which is somewhat behind. I had no real reason to upgrade, but was bored and decided then was the time.

I am running one Mint 5 release on my daughter's computer. She is 5, it is customized a bit and also locked down pretty well. I have no good reason to change that one. All the rest of our Mint installs are now on Helena though.
tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower »

I run Mint 7 on a USB stick I will wait for Mint 9 before I upgrade
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc »

FedoraRefugee wrote: What advantage does running the newest release hold? ...it does not sing to you give you a bath, scratch your back...It opens web pages.

Then we have the question of add ons and themes.
See you need the 3.9.007 version. You get it from the MI6 repository. It has the Valet and Gondolier add-ons. Valet bathes you and dresses you. Gondolier sings to you. Of course you could go with the Venice add-on, it serves the function of both of the above, it is in the Q repository. The PPK add-on is for use in flame wars. :lol:
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

dawgdoc wrote:
FedoraRefugee wrote: What advantage does running the newest release hold? ...it does not sing to you give you a bath, scratch your back...It opens web pages.

Then we have the question of add ons and themes.
See you need the 3.9.007 version. You get it from the MI6 repository. It has the Valet and Gondolier add-ons. Valet bathes you and dresses you. Gondolier sings to you. Of course you could go with the Venice add-on, it serves the function of both of the above, it is in the Q repository. The PPK add-on is for use in flame wars. :lol:
MI6
Q
PPK...

I am detecting a theme here! :lol:

Coca-Cola, shaken, not stirred! Oh, with one of those cute little sprigs of mint too if you will... :roll:
Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

My biggest beef? It's such a pain getting Windows-games to work! ;)

(This means I'm a quite happy camper. I like EVERYTHING except the new GDM, and that sound in KDE goes a little w3rd on me after a while. But what I really wanted to do this time of year was to play Baldur's Gate again...)
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I'm not voting on this topic either, as I have no complaints about Mint. The one area about Linux that I just can't seem to get a handle on, is networking. Simple "let me see what shared folders are on my network" networking. Should I use SAMBA, NFS, CIS, ABC, CIA FBI.......Master browser, no Master browser, WINS yes or no, workgroups, domain names, bind interfaces...it all makes my head spin.

det4100
det4100

Running Mint Debian
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

Since I've got all most of my hardware/driver issues fixed out (such as suspend and resume), I'm really enjoying Mint right now. One thing I'd like though...how about better power settings and support for those who use Mint on a laptop like I do? I get approximately the same amount of battery life on Windows 7 and Mint (2 and a half hours or so when in use, casual web surfing and OpenOffice), but since Mint is more lightweight on resources, I'd expect it to be more lightweight in terms of power usage as well. Better power support would just be a bonus though; I understand that there are more important priorities for many other Mint users.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
f-man
Level 1
Level 1

Post by f-man »

voted for more up to date Firefox but other than that truly minor niggle i love it as is, i`m still using Gloria but might be persuaded to go Isadora when it comes out. :D

long live LinuxMint!! 8)
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc »

Clem posted a blog today that goes through features developed for Isadora.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim
zenfarm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zenfarm »

Partitioning. I am lost. Always will be too.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”