What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by FedoraRefugee »

zenfarm wrote:Partitioning. I am lost. Always will be too.
You should just tackle it head on! It really is not hard at all. Instead of fiddling with all the automatic crap just use the manual option. Give it a try, you will be amazed how easy it is once you figure things out.
Sunshine128
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sunshine128 »

Gotta agree with that. Manual is the only way I ever get it figured out. But then again, if you're thinking ahead, that's what the Gparted LiveCD is for.
If it ain't broke ... you're not done yet.
Robin

Post by Robin »

There is a big advantage to manual partitioning: Once it's set up, you can re-install and not lose your data, settings, bookmarks, e-mail, documents, images, etc (it's a good idea to back that stuff up anyway). Mine is set up like this:

1 gig for Linux swap (that's twice my computer's RAM)

10 gigs for "/" (that's the root partition),

the rest is "/home" (where all the settings, pictures, documents, bookmarks, etc go)

The next install, choose manual and leave the /home partition unformatted. That's it! Just try that with Windows (oh, nevermind... you can't do that in Windows, sorry).

In the long run, manual partitioning is easier if you expect to stick with a distro for awhile and upgrade as recommended - with a fresh installation. It's also nice if some update b0rks your system (much less likely in Mint than in Ubuntu, by the way - which is another reason why alot of people switch), you can reinstall any supported version from a LiveCD and keep all your data.

It's definitely worth the extra minute or so to manually partition your drive.

Still learning and loving it,
Robin
Ron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ron »

I love Mint. It is a fantastic Linux distro and it is solely responsible for my switch from Windows to Linux. I will admit something. I really liked Mint 7 more than Mint 8. I did not go back because I want Mint and Linux to move forward so I need to move with them. I am looking forward to Mint 9. Mint 8, as good as it is, just has not appealed to me as much as 7 did.

I do want the choice of adding a new package. Let me decide if I want to upgrade something instead of waiting for the next Mint edition. Perhaps an upgrade for a new package (Banshee, for example) could be offered but not mandatory. But, really, other than that, I have no complaints. Mint runs great. I never have to fix anything unless I break it. Clem and the rest of the team do a fantastic job. Thank you.

Ron
c++101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by c++101 »

Verix wrote:Well hardware compatibility is a given, but it's more of a manufacturers' fault and their lack of support for Linux. For me, it's the lack of automatic major updates for Firefox and other applications.
I definitely agree with you.
Life isn't fair. It never was, and never will be.
-c++101
c++101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by c++101 »

Ron wrote:I really liked Mint 7 more than Mint 8. I did not go back because I want Mint and Linux to move forward so I need to move with them. I am looking forward to Mint 9. Mint 8, as good as it is, just has not appealed to me as much as 7 did.
Honestly, I really don't like Mint 8 that much. I agree with Ron.
It looks good, but doesn't work very well. Mint 9 sounds good, but I think the team could spend a bit more time on Mint 8 before thinking about Mint 9.
It has some bugs that need to be fixed first. I understand that the Ubuntu version this was based off of was pretty shabby, but they could have waited a few more months until the release.
Hope Mint 9 is much, much better.
Life isn't fair. It never was, and never will be.
-c++101
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

THAT IS BASE ON UBUNTU :evil:

That is a big mistake we should put a better effort and move to debian base and have 2 editions

Mint 9 Stable and Mint 9 testing

Ubuntu NEVER work good Always Had problems, That is not the case with Debian at least not with the stable edition
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Robin wrote:There is a big advantage to manual partitioning: Once it's set up, you can re-install and not lose your data, settings, bookmarks, e-mail, documents, images, etc (it's a good idea to back that stuff up anyway). Mine is set up like this:

1 gig for Linux swap (that's twice my computer's RAM)

10 gigs for "/" (that's the root partition),

the rest is "/home" (where all the settings, pictures, documents, bookmarks, etc go)

The next install, choose manual and leave the /home partition unformatted. That's it! Just try that with Windows (oh, nevermind... you can't do that in Windows, sorry).

In the long run, manual partitioning is easier if you expect to stick with a distro for awhile and upgrade as recommended - with a fresh installation. It's also nice if some update b0rks your system (much less likely in Mint than in Ubuntu, by the way - which is another reason why alot of people switch), you can reinstall any supported version from a LiveCD and keep all your data.

It's definitely worth the extra minute or so to manually partition your drive.

Still learning and loving it,
Robin
Hi Robin,

Have you considered creating a data partition instead of sharing /home? They both have advantages and you could even create both as separate partitions if you wanted to. The thing I have found though is sometimes you can get screwy things happening when you carry over all those .config files in /home. Especially when you jump distros and DEs. Of course you can always create separate users in /home. But I have found that I generally like to install my distros in a virgin state. The few settings files I hold over I just copy to my /data partition and overwrite the default files when I install the new distro. This way each distro I install is in the intended default format. I like to check things out how the developers envision them. Then I tweak the wallpaper, theme, whatever. I find it only takes me half an hour or so to get it back into the customized shape I like.

Also, I use xmarks in firefox to sync my bookmarks between many computers and to also ease the transition to new installs. It has to be my favorite addon right beside adblock plus and tab mix plus.

edit: Oh, meant to mention this in another thread too; 10GB is kind of small for /!!! It might work for you, but 15 or even 20GB is a more comfortable suggestion for others. Especially if drive space is not at a premium. You can easily run 10GB out with a few extras like games and such.
Robin

Post by Robin »

FedoraRefugee wrote:

Have you considered creating a data partition instead of sharing /home? They both have advantages and you could even create both as separate partitions if you wanted to. The thing I have found though is sometimes you can get screwy things happening when you carry over all those .config files in /home. Especially when you jump distros and DEs.
That's a good idea! Thanks! You're right... config files follow from one distro or d.e. to another and can interfere quite a bit. A separate /boot partition is also a good idea for distro hoppers because the boot settings for one distro won't interfere with others. On a test computer used to test a lot of distros, and a big ol' HDD, I might be tempted to create multiple users named "Gnome," "KDE," "LXDE," etc and let their settings carry over to the d.e. they're named after.

I like your idea on a test machine. On my home computer - not one used for testing and hopping - I don't think I would bother with a separate data partition. And I thought 10 gigs was plenty for Mint Xfce. Too small?? I wonder if I can resize it without messing up my /home partition and losing abunch settings and stuff. Google time when I finish here...

Thanks, F.R.!
Robin
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc »

FedoraRefugee wrote:edit: Oh, meant to mention this in another thread too; 10GB is kind of small for /!!! It might work for you, but 15 or even 20GB is a more comfortable suggestion for others. Especially if drive space is not at a premium. You can easily run 10GB out with a few extras like games and such.
I felt the same way re: my setup. But came up with a different solution, I guess partitioning solutions are kind of like opinions. I have a 10G / , and a 10G /usr to allow for the installed extras. :D Also did the separate data partition, 3 actually; data, music, videos. When I first started w/ Mint this was something I picked up on a partitioning thread by either Fred.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim
jarviser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jarviser »

tekdawg wrote:Being new on the scene and not knowing the philosophies behind each distro other then packaging there products to attract a certain type of user, it would appear, and I can only speak for myself, these new distros which are constantly pushing the envelop will no doubt loose a percentage of users with there insistenc on using grub2. The most attractive feature, or I should say the feature that pushed me towards Linux was the fact I could install a distro and always have my windows partition to fall back on. This allowed me to learn at my own pace and if there was something important, I knew I could rely on my windows skill set to get me through. Like anyone else, once I found out about a Mint upgrade I was all over it. The hell I have put myself through is enough to ditch Mint forever. Why there was no warning that first of all grub2 was replacing the normal grub but most important why no warning that every partition on every drive would no longer be accessible.....
Mike
I don't understand your problems, unless the Grub2 and drive problems are as a result of an upgrade to Mint8 rather than a new install.
Grub 2 is great, to the uninformed user is very little different from Grub1 (apart from the background screen) and if you install Startup Manager from the package manager it's easily modified by a non-tech user (Pity Startup Manager is not installed by default) Also every partition on my Windows side is not only accessible it's perfect read/write on the NTFS partitons unlike my last Linux experiences of 3 years ago. Even my Office 2007 works under Wine 1.2
Try a fresh install of Helena rather than upgrade.

I should say that as a non-USA user I get ALL the codecs and fancy goods on my Mint edition - legally.

The only thing I don't like about Linux/Mint 8? SANE still does not have drivers for my very expensive Canon scanner! Otherwise WIn7 would be uninstalled today.
Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop, Windows 7 and Mint Helena with Mac4Lin and Cairo-Dock, Dell 5510 mobile modem. Orange 3G broadband, United Kingdom. 5 years on Linux.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

jarviser wrote: I should say that as a non-USA user I get ALL the codecs and fancy goods on my Mint edition - legally.
As a USA user I too have all the codecs and fancy goods on my Mint edition - legally! :wink:
MikeA36
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikeA36 »

Robin wrote:
MikeA36 wrote:... the wi-fi drops in and out like crazy and after a few minutes refuses to connect at all, so I was forced to use Windows 7 to my utter dismay.
Before you give up on it, some people have found it helpful to use other network managers for wifi. With a wired connection, try installing wicd from Synaptic, or wifiradar.

Sometimes those work where the default might not. Worth a shot, anyway. And if it works, let us know!

Robin
Hey Robin.. sorry this took so long :) Tried both your suggestions with the same result. Won't stay connected through wifi even if my laptop is sitting next to the router! Starts off with a 100% signal, then jumps down to about 40% in 10 seconds or so.. then jumps up and down for about 4 or 5 minutes until it drops out completely. :( Most frustrating.

However, on the Ubuntu 10.04 beta install, It stays rock solid no matter where I go for as long as I need! Does anybody who is much more 'nix knowledgable than I know what the difference is between the wireless networking in the new Ubuntu compared to Mint 8? If so, is there something I can do to use that system for my Mint 8 install?

Thanks guys :)
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Ditial sound SPDIF output is enabled on my motherboard. Thus NO SOUND. The check box is quite hidden in the volume control extra options.

I love open office, people are just complaining because its big and bloated and difficult to use... Because there are a lot of features that I use daily.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

My laptop touch sensitivity is outrageously high. When pressing with finger and holding, the mouse jitters.

Asus ASPIRE One D250
nono
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nono »

This isn't really a dissatisfaction with mint, but it is related.

I am dissatisfied with Mplayer.
In my experience it loads slower than VLC and also crashes often.
I'd take VLC as the default player over Mplayer.

I think a lot of Mint users here would take VLC as a default player over Mplayer.
Reminder: If your problem is already solved or your topic is fullfilled, kindly put [SOLVED] on your topic title.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Rolling release is my only problem (and I had to search for that one);)
-Hinto
runbei
Level 3
Level 3

Post by runbei »

1. I STILL can't get Mint 8 to display a full Grub menu at startup, despite following instructions for editing various Grub options. I'm not dual booting, but I would like to see the Grub menu at startup to choose options.

2. Suspend works fine, but Restart hangs. I'm on a ThinkPad T43.

3. The usual beefs about Linux hardward support - no support for my Canoscan LIDE 70. Mint 8 sees my Sansa Fuze mp3 player fine, but not my girlfriend's identical player. ??

4. Virtualbox non-free just will not work in Mint 8, yet it worked flawlessly in Mint 7. VERY frustrating - just one more reason I'd love to see Mint switch to a Debian stable base and avoid the bugs that Ubuntu introduces with each new release. Buguntu. Flubuntu. Cruduntu.

5. Two apps that can absolutely freeze Mint are OpenOffice and Firefox. (It would be them.) Not even an Alt-SysRq-REISUB will awaken Mint 8 from the dead when those apps crash. Most often it's OpenOffice. What happens when you get a million developers all trying to imitate Microsoft together. (Sorry, that's snarky. But why the sam hill blazes can't Linux apps be better than MS?)
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

Hmmmm. Where do I start?

First of all, I did a brilliant move last night and decided to redo my external drive which houses my linux distros. Usually this would present no issue, however, Murphy is alive and well and decided to make his presence known.

Mint KDE 64 - Installer is not consistent on this machine (Toshiba P305D). The first time I attempted an install, it took 3 times for it to take. Installer would crash on each attempt, and any attempt to copy the info for reporting resulted in an immediate kick to the login screen, resulting in all information being lost. This time around, the installer borked my Grub2 installation so bad I had to dig out the install discs for my other distros to sneak in the back way and repair the damage. Not to mention, it didn't detect the hardware time, chose its own, and during the installation, accessed the other partitions with that time stamp. Oh joy. Dug out the other install discs again to fix that little issue. As yet, Mint has not been installed successfully the second time around.

Stop removing features from programs that are normally there!
Linux User #384279
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

no itunes, yah i know there is alternative but how about firmware updates?
~cheers~

xnostradamusx

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”