What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
jarviser
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What are you most dissatisfied with in Linux Mint?

Post by jarviser »

xnostradamusx wrote:no itunes, yah i know there is alternative but how about firmware updates?
Yep standard Rhythmbox drags and drops like itunes always should have done. And I buy music from somewhere that doesn't insist on a huge app to be installed that tries to live your life for you.
If the ipod works and you only use Linux, it will not stop working, and I don't see why anyone would need updates. You only really need to visit Windoze/itunes once to purge the ipod and turn on manual management then kiss itunes good-bye forever. (IMHO)
Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop, Windows 7 and Mint Helena with Mac4Lin and Cairo-Dock, Dell 5510 mobile modem. Orange 3G broadband, United Kingdom. 5 years on Linux.
piratesmack
Level 5
Level 5

Post by piratesmack »

I'm most dissatisfied with the installer.

I wish there was an alternate install ISO for those who use RAID, LVM, and/or LUKS encryption, but I can understand that these aren't features that the average desktop user uses.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

piratesmack wrote:I'm most dissatisfied with the installer.

I wish there was an alternate install ISO for those who use RAID, LVM, and/or LUKS encryption, but I can understand that these aren't features that the average desktop user uses.

BUMP +1
roshichris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roshichris »

hinto wrote:Rolling release is my only problem (and I had to search for that one);)
-Hinto

+1. Not that it is a big deal by any means.
I would also like to see it based on Debian, partly for this reason but for stability and versatility too. And I'm a tiny bit uneasy about the direction Ubuntu is going in with more and more commercial interests embedded.

CrunchBang has recently made the switch from Ubuntu to Debian, and the decision has been very well received by the whole community as far as I can tell.
jarviser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jarviser »

roshichris wrote:...
I would also like to see it based on Debian, partly for this reason but for stability and versatility too. And I'm a tiny bit uneasy about the direction Ubuntu is going in with more and more commercial interests embedded.
I may be wrong but as Ubuntu is directly derived from Debian, all distros use the latest centrally controlled (by Torvalds) kernel and manually installed apps usually go easier with the deb packages, so apart from it being a more complete user package how far away can Mint be from Debian?
Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop, Windows 7 and Mint Helena with Mac4Lin and Cairo-Dock, Dell 5510 mobile modem. Orange 3G broadband, United Kingdom. 5 years on Linux.
roshichris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roshichris »

It's potentially very different, if you want it to be, and Debian has a very different philosophy as well if that's important to you.

Debian has three strands at different points of the stability-cutting edge scale, any of which can be used as effectively a rolling release base (stable, testing and sid). This fact alone is a huge difference from Ubuntu.

Debian also adheres strictly to the principles of free software whereas Ubuntu is moving further and further away from these principles with built-in links to Ubuntu One, deals with Yahoo etc.

Different distros (and different strands of Debian) will also use different kernels - they don't all use the latest one. Some (like sidux) use custom kernels as well. This can make the difference of your hardware working or not.

So quite a lot of difference.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

That is based on Ubuntu :evil:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

jarviser wrote:I may be wrong but as Ubuntu is directly derived from Debian, all distros use the latest centrally controlled (by Torvalds) kernel and manually installed apps usually go easier with the deb packages, so apart from it being a more complete user package how far away can Mint be from Debian?
Sometimes it's like different shades of the same color.
Summersky
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Summersky »

runbei wrote: 5. Two apps that can absolutely freeze Mint are OpenOffice and Firefox. (It would be them.) Not even an Alt-SysRq-REISUB will awaken Mint 8 from the dead when those apps crash.
My 3 year old laptop has never crashed once, but the 6 yr old Dell desktop does from time to time in almost any app. What bothered me most was that REISUB wouldnt work, requiring a hard boot.

Somewhere on the forum I picked up the idea that it has something to do with usb ports, so I switched to an older keyboard with the round connector and found an adapter for the mouse to go from usb to the round plug. The system freezes up much less often and REISUB works fast and beautifully.

So maybe something to do with usb ports?
pappfer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pappfer »

What am I the most dissatisfied with? This is a really good question because it's a really good Linux distribution.

Regarding the default software I'm happy to have Pidgin instead of Empathy, happy to have Gimp and in general I'm quite satisfied with the default apps. I would also include OpenShot video editor (some recommended it before me, too). Probably would replace Transmission with Deluge (some might not agree with it cause Transmission has a better Gnome integration and faster then Deluge). I don't like Rhythmbox, I use Audacious instead.

But I'm not sure if it's a good idea to have 2 Compiz settings managers. I think CCSM would be enough. But yes, I know that for beginners it's easier to use Simple CCSM. Also I don't see any sense on having 2-3 video players. Why have 2 MPlayers?
Don't take me wrong, I like MPlayer but why to have it twice (MPlayer and Gnome-Mplayer) and Totem as well? Also Totem's browser plugin always worked me better the MPlayer's one. But to be honest I think VLC is the best video player for Linux nowadays. It has a lot of options, it's user friendly and just works great out of the box.
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

pappfer wrote:Also I don't see any sense on having 2-3 video players. Why have 2 MPlayers?
Don't take me wrong, I like MPlayer but why to have it twice (MPlayer and Gnome-Mplayer) and Totem as well? Also Totem's browser plugin always worked me better the MPlayer's one. But to be honest I think VLC is the best video player for Linux nowadays. It has a lot of options, it's user friendly and just works great out of the box.
Absolutely agree with you on the video players. I fail to see why Gnome MPlayer, MPlayer, and Totem are all installed when VLC replaces all three beautifully.
-iceblade^
Level 1
Level 1

Post by -iceblade^ »

my main gripe with Mint is whereas Ubuntu has a strictly defined schedule, Mint is more hit and miss - it can take a few days for an RC, or several weeks, after the ubuntu final release

i do realise that Canonical is a company and Mint is not as rich or advantaged in that sense... in the end it's a small gripe, and the releases are always worth the wait.
mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob »

I voted Short release cycle since manually updating apps is easier than doing fresh installs all the time.

Question though, what would Mint have to do to become a rolling release, ditch Ubuntu and be based off an RR distro?
Chakra Linux
roshichris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roshichris »

mintnoob wrote:I voted Short release cycle since manually updating apps is easier than doing fresh installs all the time.

Question though, what would Mint have to do to become a rolling release, ditch Ubuntu and be based off an RR distro?

Base it off Debian rather than Ubuntu.
Capt Turk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Capt Turk »

The only thing I've really had a problem with, is stability using a 3G mobile broadband usb dongle. The last version that I've gotten it to work consistently, if at all, was Mint 7, and then only after upgrading the kernel to 2.6.3. It seems to work relatively well from the LiveCD, but either won't work at all, or only occasionally, after installing it to the hard drive.

Other than that, the only thing is having the ability, and the choice, to easily update the software to the latest versions. I understand why the earlier versions are what are included in the LiveCD, but it would be nice to have the choice to use the latest if a person understands the risks, and is willing to assume them.
runbei
Level 3
Level 3

Post by runbei »

Trickle-down bugs inherited from Ubuntu - that's tops on my list. Specifically, Mint 8 didn't work with Virtualbox on my Thinkpad T43, and I never could fix this - major disappointment and the principal reason I'd be happy if Mint switched to a Debian base - more stability?

Any other gripes are relatively minor. Most real issues aren't Mint's fault - they're software bugs and design kludges. I could go on and on - but OpenOffice's "Track Changes" feature is awful. You cannot edit more than a few pages with display of changes turned off before the screen starts doing really weird things - jumping up and down randomly. Also - why haven't the developers on Word and OO figured out that we DON'T all love to edit text on the bottom line of the screen - how about a feature that keeps the cursor at the middle of the screen. And on and on.

OpenOffice and Firefox are the only two programs I've found that can reliably and fairly often bring Linux to a complete dead stop. I mean a real Blue Screen of Death from which it's not even possible to recover with Alt-PrtSc-REISUB.

I'm cautiously looking to replace OO either with Textmaker, or with WordPerfect latest version running in Virtualbox. But now I'm seriously off-topic.
morat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morat »

The OS is great, but I worry about the depth of essential software for work,

a couple of examples
OO is fine upto a point but longstanding limitations (with Base for example) need resolving.
Scribus is fine for small documents, but handling complex and long documents for offset print is hard work

This isn't the fault of Mint, or of any Linux distribution, but is a fair reflection of the userbase of linux, either business able to pay for service, maintenance and development, or home users with less intensive requirements, but not much in between.
legendkiller
Level 1
Level 1

Post by legendkiller »

mint 8 and 9 have been ubuntu+ shining new green wallpapers. I think mint needs to break away from being just " ubuntu++"

like ubuntu is also based on debian.................but doesn't actually wait for them to develop a new version and then modify it into Ubuntu...
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I am another who is satisfied with Mint. I started on Mint 8, and did once in a great while have it crash, although that may have been my fault because I love to noodle with things. Now I am using Mint 9 Isadora, and it has been 100% rock solid so far. I agree with those who say there are too many extraneous apps. VLC seems to be the best for video, definitely Pidgin for messaging. Amarok, audacious, rhythmbox never get used. I have tried at least 5 of the other major distros, and none came close to Mint's simplicity of use. Make mine Mint!
Mint Cinnamon 20
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I most dislike that a thorn in the side of some distros is heat. All the *buntus and Mint 8 and 9 have serious issues with heat on many users' machines, evident by a quick search of both the Mint and Ubuntu forums. This has been ongoing for several iterations but not addressed in any reasonable way. Heat will destroy equipment so it seems an important area to focus upon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”