Firefox vs Abrowser.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Aging Technogeek

Firefox vs Abrowser.

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I'm posting this here because it is not a support request although it may, at times, sound like one.

I just tried , for the steenth, time to get Firefox 3.6 to run on my desktop system. Another failure, but that's not the point of this post.

Somehow, when I tried to revert to Firefox 3.5.7 as I always had before, I ended up with Abrowser instead. Also, Swiftfox 3.6, which had stopped working a week ago, suddenly reappeared.

After playing with Abrowser for a while, I came to the conclusion that this was a very happy accident. Abrowser is considerably faster than Firefox 3.5.7. It is faster than Swiftfox 3.6. It is comparable with Google Chrome on my system. It is also as customizable as Firefox, with all the same add ons. I think I'll keep Abrowser for a while.

Has anyone else tried this browser and what were your experiences with it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Firefox vs Abrowser.

Post by shane »

Abrowser is simply an unbranded Firefox... :D There shouldn't be any difference between Abrowser and Firefox. In fact, Abrowser depends on Firefox... and the package itself is just a meta-package.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/abrowser
Aging Technogeek

Re: Firefox vs Abrowser.

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Then what happehed is when I reinstalled Firefox 3.5.7, for some reason Synaptic did not include the FF branding package, leaving me with an unbranded FF, ie Abrowser.

I really am not concerned about it. Abrowser picked up all of my FF add ons from my .mozilla folder and if I don't look at the title bar I can't tell the difference. Except that Abrowser does run somewhat faster than FF 3.5.7 for some reason.

It's nice to know what happened, but I won't be doing anything about it for now.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”