distrowatch

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

distrowatch

Post by distoaddict » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:33 am

good interview with clem and review of mint in today's Distrowatch weekly http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100222

tower
Level 4
Level 4

Re: distrowatch

Post by tower » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:16 am

Seems a glowing review, of course being based on Ubuntu means that Mint is forced to pick up and adapt whatever Ubuntu produces, Does that mean a buggy Ubuntu would mean a delay in release in Mint till Ubuntu developed fixes?

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 pm

How about this comment posted by Tidux in the comments section:
Use Red Hat, learn Red Hat. Use Debian, learn Debian. Use Slackware, learn Linux. Use Mint, learn nothing.
There's always a critic.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Also, check out Clem's post in the comments section -- post #109.

distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Post by distoaddict » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 pm

MALsPa wrote:How about this comment posted by Tidux in the comments section:
Use Red Hat, learn Red Hat. Use Debian, learn Debian. Use Slackware, learn Linux. Use Mint, learn nothing.
There's always a critic.
indeed.but the majority of the comments have been positive.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 pm

From the link, I would like to know what this means in regards to ubuntu repository hosting/mirrors
On the things we do want to change, APT pinning and our adjustment system give us the flexibility we need and so we don't need to duplicate and/or patch every single package in separate repositories.
I think that might have been On the things we do not want to change
DW: What comes next? What will we see in Mint version 9?
CL: It's a bit too soon for me to talk about this but we're planning on two significant developments - a community website with a hardware database, ideas (similar to Brainstorm), blogging, social-networking, support, software portal and many other features And a complete re-write of our Software Manager. This time we want it to be package-centric (so hopefully it will replace Synaptic) with over 30,000 packages, user reviews, combining the best from the current mintInstall, the GNOME application installer and the Ubuntu Software Center.
I hope they don't get bogged down with social twits (tweets)

This time we want it to be package-centric (so hopefully it will replace Synaptic)
Aaaagghh!! Noooo, Noooo!
  • Never pay any attention to fan (user) reviews; they are too biased
I sure hope not, I just hope that the synaptic package manager is still provided and that "the hopefully replaced" part of the plan (Plan9) doesn't become the replaced part and therefor the only Mint option
Sounds like the same plan that Linspire had for cnr: I assume Mint might do better

lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:18 pm

I have referred a couple people to distro watch for Mint 8 CD's. At least for a couple dollars or so, they can test drive Mint with minium heartburn. I belong to a bunch of Yahoo train groups and my signature is: OS Mint 7 No Gates or Windows. Two have sent me a private email asking about Mint. Also referred them to Mint home page and Mint forums. Don't know of any results. The ball in in their side of the court.
As far as leaning nothing with Mint, I have learned it is a easy distro to install. You do not have to use command line if you just want a safe secure system, do email, surf the web, view pictures, videos and a couple other things casual users like to do. It does not have to be complicated. Yes, I know that bothers some Linux techies but that is the reality many PC users live in.

Lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”