Just Fed Up with it all!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Just Fed Up with it all!

Post by bug67 »

<rant> Got a new HP Pavillian dv8 entertainment PC about a month ago. Windows 7 Professional pre-installed. It started doing weird things last night. I'd push the start button and the OS would never start. I would be confronted with a blank screen. I had to hard reboot and then Windows would start. However, the machine locked up on me a couple of times and I, again, had to hard reboot. At this point, I don't know if it's a hardware or software related issue. I finally got it started up and it stayed started up. At least it was running when I left for work this morning. $2,700.00 + $80.00 for Norton 360.

My other computers are PPC Macs so, I can't run Snow Leopard on them. Therefore, they are by all intents and purposes, obsolete. I can't upgrade the Macs and the hardware is less than modern so, I can't really do things with them that I want to do with my computers. Plus, don't buy into the whole "Macs use the best hardware and they just work" line. It has been far, far from that way for me. Apple uses the same components everybody else does. I've had nothing but hardware after hardware issues with my Macs. Well over 10 grand in machines and software.

I kinda feel like I need to keep the Macs (and OS X) around 'cause I record music via Logic and Digital Preformer. I have years of media on those machines but, I can't rely on them and I can't modify the OS to suit my needs and nobody supports PPC anymore. It's even becoming increasingly difficult to run Linux on them without a lot of work, at least for me anyhow.

Modify Windows? Forget about it! I was pretty impressed with Windows 7 but, the NT file system has always and will continue to suck a**! I kinda feel like I gotta keep it around too 'cause the machine is really speced out. And, it plays Blu-Ray disks! Something unavailable natively on Mac or Linux.

I am just SO fed up with all the commercial CRAP available to us end users! They say you get what you pay for? I call BS! </rant>

So, having said all that, I am typing this on my old trusty Compaq Presario running Linux Mint 8. Never a crash. Never a lock-up. Boots up in about 15 seconds. I can configure the GUI any way I want. I can find all my files and folders. I don't have to worry about broken registries. When I remove a program that I don't like, all of it gets removed. When I install a program, I don't have to worry about it introducing malware on my system. In fact, I don't have to worry about malware at all! Linux on this machine truely does "just work." Price of admission? ZERO!

You guys thought this post was gonna pan Linux, huh?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asus X550CA Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
CPU: Intel Core i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz x2
RAM: 12 GiB, SSD: 250 GiB
http://www.vegetablesandwich.com/
MysticGold04

Re: Just Fed Up with it all!

Post by MysticGold04 »

This is exactly why I will never buy a "retail" off of the shelf system again. If the machine is locking up that badly, I for sure would be taking it back. Do you know what kind of a PC you could build with 2700.00?! Wow... I could probably build close to 3 or 4 decent systems with that amount of cash buying the components from Newegg.

Glad you are having a good experience with Mint 8. It has been great to be free from Windows (minus a VirtualBox instance for my Ipod Touch) and I will continue to stay with Mint because it is fast, stable and it just works! :D
bug67
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Just Fed Up with it all!

Post by bug67 »

MysticGold04 wrote:"...Do you know what kind of a PC you could build with 2700.00?!..."
Nothing compared to what I have invested in Apple. :roll:
Asus X550CA Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
CPU: Intel Core i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz x2
RAM: 12 GiB, SSD: 250 GiB
http://www.vegetablesandwich.com/

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”