Will you upgrade- or stay?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Will you upgrade- or stay?

Post by bp96 »

Will you be upgrading to the new Linux Mint 9 or are you going to stay with your current version?
Personally, I am thinking to just stay with my Mint 8 and not upgrade because there is nothing wrong with it so I don't want to take the risk of upgrading or do a clean install. I know that my OS will stop getting security and stability updates but isn't Linux already very secure and stable already? So what will you be doing- a clean install, the upgrade or just staying with your distro version?

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Will you upgrade- or stay?

Post by Oscar799 »

Linux Mint 8 Helena will be supported until April 2011,so it is entirely safe to stay with it if you want to.
When Mint 9 comes out I will install it to the partition on my machine currently occupied by Mint 7,I will probably run 8 and 9 side by side for several months.
I've never done an upgrade,I always do a clean install.I have a seperate /home partition so a clean install is quick and painless. :P

markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend »

I upgraded from 7 to 8 with no problems, I think I'll risk the 8 to 9 upgrade too. Even if it borks, I have a separate /home partition so I can just install 9 in / and away we go.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I will probably do something similar to what oscar799 described. Multi-boot Mint 9 Main with Mint 8 Main, Mint 8 XFCE, Mint 8 LXDE and Windows XP Pro on my desktop in place of Mint 7 Main.

I have never upgraded, always do a clean install. I keep all personal files in a separate Data partition and symlink into /home on all my Mint installs. My files are safe and don't need to be copied into each separate installation, and I can update them from any OS I may be in at the time.
Registered Linux User 483387

Robin

Post by Robin »

I expect to upgrade and use the LTS version for the long term on my "mission critical" machine, and play with newer ones on a test machine.

chipps61

Post by chipps61 »

I'll be upgrading to 9 when it's released - like the above posters, I have separate / and /home partitions, so a reinstall of 8 if needed will be no big deal anyway. Have already done that at least three times after borking grub2 or several equally stupid mistakes along the learning path. :) That separate /home partition has really saved me.

Craig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Craig »

I'll be upgrading to Linux Mint 9, I'll be sticking with that release if it works as well as Linux Mint 8 does. Upgrading from release to release, for me personally, will not be a option in the future.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

I still have Linux mint 7 main edition installed; I may try 9, however I may wait for 10
--in fact since 7 is working fine for me, and GRUB2 came with 8, that might be a reason to delay, as well as the kludge of Mint usplash and xsplash (Ubuntu) combination: I might want to see that fixed first..

Some aspects of Mint 9, I don't like
  • Damaging synaptic: although I do understand the branding issue, I just don't like it much, I would rather have a tool that works on any Debian derived distribution {apt and synaptic}
    --by removing access to kernel updates
  • The rest seems fine with me
    --I already have usb-creator installed on mint 7..
  • Almost forgot, the supposed automatic xorg setup
    --with the missing /etc/X11/xorg.conf files, might seem easier to users (from developers viewpoint). However, if everything is automatic, when it doesn't work leaves you up the creek without a paddle to wave..
    --and for the longest time, wide-screen resolutions, multi-monitors, and failure to get a native or better than VGA mode resolution (640x480) has plagued some Linux distributions..
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=44859
    http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org ... ?t=1325212
At least Suse had sax2 screen configuration editing, which could resolve the automatic fail-over mode..
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Ne ... ll-to-SaX2
  • In a thread in the openSUSE mailing list with the title "The Future of SaX2," developer Egbert Eich lays out the reasons behind the move. In most cases the desktop setup occurred automatically without a problem, therefore maintaining SaX2 to keep up with X Window System development had been a struggle.
Aaaagghh!, another one bites the dust..
--maybe they think people are too stupid to be able to use appropriate tools, when they are supplied or available !

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

I'm going to wait till the first Service Pack! :)
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 »

Two things:
I didn't know that Linux Mint got service packs...Does Mint get service packs?
If I just stayed with Mint 8 and NEVER upgraded, will I face any problems such as getting a higher chance of being affected by some malware?

Anyway, it's quite interesting to see what you do when a new distro release is available... :D

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

bp96 wrote:I didn't know that Linux Mint got service packs...Does Mint get service packs?
:lol: It was meant to be a joke about Microsoft releases actually. According to 'common knowledge' many users and companies make it a policy not to upgrade to a new release of Windows until SP1 on the reasoning that it takes till then for MS to fix all the bugs!

Mint doesn't get servicepacks in the same way as Windows but there have been bugfix releases before 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0, 3.1.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

LTS user here, with both Mint and Ubuntu, so I'll be moving from Elyssa to Isadora.

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

If I know myself at all, I'll do a clean install of Mint 9 Main to use as a development platform for the LXDE and Fluxbox editions. I'll then do a clean install of the Fluxbox edition.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.

GRA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GRA »

I'm currently running Mint 7, and I plan to clean install Mint 9 on both my laptops (of course I'll be playing around with other releases in VirtualBox). I had a look at Mint 8 in VirtualBox, but never installed it "for real" since I don't really fancy reinstalling every six months, and I'm actually looking forward to the LTS version, which I might very well keep for longer.

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 »

remoulder wrote:
bp96 wrote:I didn't know that Linux Mint got service packs...Does Mint get service packs?
:lol: It was meant to be a joke about Microsoft releases actually. According to 'common knowledge' many users and companies make it a policy not to upgrade to a new release of Windows until SP1 on the reasoning that it takes till then for MS to fix all the bugs!

Mint doesn't get servicepacks in the same way as Windows but there have been bugfix releases before 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.0, 3.1.
Oh I thought it was a joke :D but then I just wanted to make sure...

Do you know the answer to this question:
If I just stayed with Mint 8 and NEVER upgraded, will I face any problems such as getting a higher chance of being affected by some malware (as the security updates will stop)?

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

bp96 wrote: Do you know the answer to this question:
If I just stayed with Mint 8 and NEVER upgraded, will I face any problems such as getting a higher chance of being affected by some malware (as the security updates will stop)?
Kind of an interesting question with Linux in general. I have one old notebook that never got updated past Kubuntu Dapper. I've used it online a few times in the past year or so and wondered how dangerous that was, but certainly it's nothing like going online with a Windows system that hasn't been updated in a few years! Anyway, still haven't encountered any problems by taking that notebook with Kubuntu Dapper online. Still runs a very old Firefox version, too!

khsbenny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by khsbenny »

Ill upgrade to the LTS and stay there for a while. Unless Mint 10 has ground breaking features.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

For sure I'll be doing a fresh install.. I'd rather not risk the bugs associated with upgrading.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

Matt3223
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matt3223 »

I will be upgrading via clean install. I am trying to slide into simply sticking with the LTS releases, but I came into mint with 7, so this will really be my first chance to see if I can resist the temptations for 6 month upgrades.

Future plan is to stick with LTS installs, and play and tinker with the inbetweens via virtual box.

Robin

Post by Robin »

DrHu wrote: Some aspects of Mint 9, I don't like
  • Damaging synaptic: although I do understand the branding issue, I just don't like it much, I would rather have a tool that works on any Debian derived distribution {apt and synaptic}
    --by removing access to kernel updates
  • The rest seems fine with me
Y'know, that's one of the things I like best about Linux Mint, actually. There are soooooo many instances where some Ubuntu update has b0rked a working system because they did something to the kernel. Having the "extra layer of protection" is good for newbies who do not need access to a "new-and-improved" kernel when their system is working just fine. I don't install any untested, non-Mint-approved updates. I like having the experts test things out and give it a seal of approval before I try it.

Maybe when I learn alot more (a LOT more) I'll be willing to take some risks (omygosh, just leaving Windows was terrifying, lol!). But for now I'm glad that as a Mint user I don't have to automatically inherit Ubuntu's latest buggy updates. And I imagine it's rare for the really bad ones to get by my "guardian angels" that watch over Mint!

Safe and sound,
Robin

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”