Will you upgrade- or stay?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Will you upgrade- or stay?

Post by monkeyboy »

bp96 wrote:Will you be upgrading to the new Linux Mint 9 or are you going to stay with your current version?
Personally, I am thinking to just stay with my Mint 8 and not upgrade because there is nothing wrong with it so I don't want to take the risk of upgrading or do a clean install. I know that my OS will stop getting security and stability updates but isn't Linux already very secure and stable already? So what will you be doing- a clean install, the upgrade or just staying with your distro version?
You bet I am going to switch. That way I have something to princess about till the next release, Mint 8 is about all ironed out.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

Anthorn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anthorn »

In one way I'll be upgrading to 9 but in another way I won't. I'll be doing a fresh install. I think that the rather trivial problems I've had with most new versions of most distros can be attributed to upgrading an existing version. I take that view because upon a fresh install the problems were not there. So, anyway, a fresh install.

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

With all the Mint installs we have I will be sure to move to Mint 9 at some point. I always DL the main ISO when it is released just to look at it. But as i run Xfce on most of our computers I will probably not install it. I am sure that my 8 (9 next month) year old will be the first to install Mint 9 Xfce on his computer as he is very...er...active with his installs and usually reinstalls on a very frequent basis. :D Then my older boys will slowly follow suite. Probably a month or two after that I will get around to my personal laptop. I did an upgrade from Mint 7 Xfce to Mint 8 Xfce about a month ago so I will probably just do a fresh install this time for grub 2 and whatever other major changes have taken place. My smaller personal desktop will also get a fresh install eventually. As has been mentioned, I use a separate /data so fresh installs are no big deal. I am not as eager as I used to be but I get bored with installs around the six month mark and will always upgrade to whatever is current. Except my 5 year old daughter's computer. She is still running Mint 5 Xfce and it still runs great. I will wait till she borks it before I do anything with that. So far she has manged to screw up her brothers install a few times (he has all the games) but has not messed her own up yet.

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 »

So far she has manged to screw up her brothers install a few times (he has all the games) but has not messed her own up yet.
LOL :lol:

Out of interest, is there anyone else who is using an older version of Mint/Ubuntu and plans to never upgrade?...

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I am 'always' on the cutting edge of Linux. So, I'm out there somewhere "... space the final frontier. er ... sorry," got carried away. :lol:

But I have a version of Mint (Xfce), as a 'stable' home-base.

Once, Mint-9 Xfce CE / LTS is released, I'll make that as my 'stable' base-of-operations.

The LTS (long-term support) of any distro is usually the most stable version and is supported for the longest time.
So, if you want a system that, 'just works' ... this is the place to be. If you value stability then go with the LTS version of Mint.

I know for fact, that there are many users of Mint that are still using the previous (current) stable LTS version of Mint ... and are very happy with their system and OS.

The current stable version of Debian is 'Lenny'. A 'stable' versiom of Debian is released, approximately every 3 years. The next stable version of Debian is Squeeze, due out later this year.
Debian 'stable' is "rock solid" stable ... and is the same as an LTS of Ubuntu/Mint.
From what I've seen of Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 LTS, it is already very stable, as a Beta. I expect it to be 'more' stable as the release date approaches.
Same for Mint ... the LTS version of Mint-9 will be most awesome. I look forward to it.

So my recommendation, would be to . . . UPGRADE to the LTS of Mint, and stay there!!
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

I have a computer that I run Mint5 lts on (since it came out) so, I will be upgrading that machine to Mint9 lts :)
also my laptop that is running Mint7 will make the jump to 9 as well. :mrgreen:

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 »

I have a computer that I run Mint5 lts on (since it came out) so, I will be upgrading that machine to Mint9 lts :)
also my laptop that is running Mint7 will make the jump to 9 as well.
So you have a dual-boot configured and your plan is to jump from LTS to LTS? Have you been using Mint 5 lts since its original release or did you install it a few years after the release?

smiddy
Level 1
Level 1

Regular back-ups and YES upgrade

Post by smiddy »

Back-up, back-up, back-up is my first mantra. Do this and who cares how a new install behaves.

I maintain an updated list of extra packages and configs, drivers etc necessary to customise my install to meet my needs.
Should a new CLEAN install and personalisation not work, then just get the old disc, install, customise and continue .

Installs are always quick, hardware recognisation etc great so don't be scared, to do clean installs.

Seems many members need to learn to back-up data regularly. More importantly, it would seem that they expect a clean install to satisfy all their special application needs.

I would suggest most users have absolutely no idea of the additional productivity packages they have added and other customisation preferences in their current version.

Folks get real, back-ups and totally recording of your operating system modifications/additions is your only answer to a catastrophic system failure.

Do this and you will always be up-to-date. If all is a disaster use your old version disc and list of personalised packages/configs/etc and carry-on.

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Regular back-ups and YES upgrade

Post by FedoraRefugee »

smiddy wrote:Back-up, back-up, back-up is my first mantra. Do this and who cares how a new install behaves.
Don't you ever get bored of always saying, "backup backup, backup...?" :lol:

A separate /data partition goes a long way too. I have my /data on a totally separate drive in my backup server and I have that drive mirrored to another. Every quarter I back those drives up to an external drive which my dad stores for me over at his house. I do the same for him. Paranoid? Maybe. But I have many things that cannot be replaced such as scanned photos going back to the late 1800's.
I maintain an updated list of extra packages and configs, drivers etc necessary to customise my install to meet my needs.
Should a new CLEAN install and personalisation not work, then just get the old disc, install, customise and continue .
Pretty complicated install! But the theory is dead on. The OS is sacrificial. It is expendable, it should not even be a consideration. If you have a complicated config file then back it up, but most times the settings can be reproduced in a new install with little effort. The key here is the more you do it the easier it gets. Pretty soon you will not even need notes! :wink:
Installs are always quick, hardware recognisation etc great so don't be scared, to do clean installs.
Yes! Installs generally take well under ten minutes! Then add another fifteen to thirty for the update, driver install, extra package install, Firefox tweaking, and getting the desktop into shape...I do not think I have ever spent more than an hour from start to finish. Once again, a separate /data makes this much easier.
Seems many members need to learn to back-up data regularly. More importantly, it would seem that they expect a clean install to satisfy all their special application needs.
I think most people that use a computer need to learn to back up regularly. And why is it every time someone in a Linux forum loses data they have a doctoral thesis they need to rescue? :shock: Come on, with data that important you better have it on 5 drives on 5 different computers not to mention a couple USB pens and a DVD or two...For real! There is no cure for stupidity!

But I do not get the second statement here. I think most Linux users understand that they will have to install extra packages from the package manager. Especially if they have already been using that distro. For Linux newcomers, the default package list in most distros is so much more complete than what you get with Windows it bears no comparison. However, it is a moot point. The package system in most distros allows fingertip access to tens of thousands of apps all in one place. Most people do not need more than 4-5 extra apps above what is installed by default.

I have made it a policy to just get these extra apps as i need them. This fights bloat. Instead of installing 20-30 extra packages that I may get around to using someday, it is better to just snatch a package as you need it. It takes under a minute to open synaptic and install an app.
I would suggest most users have absolutely no idea of the additional productivity packages they have added and other customisation preferences in their current version.
:?:

I have to disagree! People are not stupid! If they installed additional productivity packages then they installed them for a reason. If they customized their desktop then I am sure they are well aware of that fact. Maybe you were trying to say something else here?

Are you trying to say that the user added and did so much that they forgot exactly what they did? In other words, they have this awesome desktop but they forgot what they did to get it. The solution to this is experience. New users tend to get tied to their custom themes. But as you gain experience you lose this. You become aware of all the options and it gets much easier to tweak the desktop to your liking. I propose that the user do NOT make lists and directions on how to get their desktop back. Just relax! Let it go! Try something new, have fun.
Folks get real, back-ups and totally recording of your operating system modifications/additions is your only answer to a catastrophic system failure.
Such colorful language! I do not think ANYTHING is an answer to catastrophic system failure! That has connotations of having to buy a new system! But the advice is sound. :D

My advice is to change your (generally speaking, not directed at YOU...I tend to do that a lot...) mindset. Quit worrying about the OS! Worry about your data! Put it on a separate partition, better yet, a separate drive. More than one drive. Keep it well away from the OS itself! The OS is nothing, just as all your settings and config files are nothing. If you use Firefox then use the Xmarks extension to save your bookmarks. Regularly back up any config files you need to your data partition. Then, if anything happens you can overwrite the default config files when you reinstall. If you are that tied to your desktop settings and if you use the same DE and distro over and over then go ahead and create a separate /home too. But I frown on this. I do not want any possible problems associated with carrying these settings from one distro to the next. I know I use the Gion icon set and the Murrinablue (not Murrina-blue) theme on my laptop. I just DL these fresh each time. No biggie.
Do this and you will always be up-to-date. If all is a disaster use your old version disc and list of personalised packages/configs/etc and carry-on.
At the end of all this though, the question needs to be asked, if your current install is working great, and you have it tweaked out and customized to your liking, and everything is running fine, then is there any real need to upgrade it? Much ado is made out of running the latest and greatest packages but the reality is most times they do nothing more than the older ones. Honestly, I was just as happy with the kernel 4 years ago as I am the current version I run in Arch. :roll: I mean, they both worked...right? So your newer Firefox might have had a little facelift, but the older version still surfs the web just fine and the addons do what they are supposed to do...It is not like OO.o ever goes through these major facelifts or anything...Every once in a while an app will make a major change that is worth upgrading to. But most often you would never even know the difference. If clem repackaged Mint 5 and released it as Mint 9 most users would never even know. The kernel version would give it away, but I wonder how many would ever even notice. :wink:

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

I'll be running it in a Vbox for a while, until I get used to it.
I will want to see just how much more resources that it uses compared to Elyssa LTS :)

also how all the new changes compare to Gloria, which I have installed on eveything,
& how it compares to Mint8 which is still in a Vbox, some six months after it was released. :oops:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 »

Wow, FedoraRefugee! Wow!
At the end of all this though, the question needs to be asked, if your current install is working great, and you have it tweaked out and customized to your liking, and everything is running fine, then is there any real need to upgrade it? Much ado is made out of running the latest and greatest packages but the reality is most times they do nothing more than the older ones. Honestly, I was just as happy with the kernel 4 years ago as I am the current version I run in Arch. I mean, they both worked...right? So your newer Firefox might have had a little facelift, but the older version still surfs the web just fine and the addons do what they are supposed to do...It is not like OO.o ever goes through these major facelifts or anything...Every once in a while an app will make a major change that is worth upgrading to. But most often you would never even know the difference. If clem repackaged Mint 5 and released it as Mint 9 most users would never even know. The kernel version would give it away, but I wonder how many would ever even notice
That's an amazing comment. Hopefully, some people will read this and have a second thought on upgrading! ;) Yay! The main question is, however, after you said this, is will YOU be switching to the latest version of your distro or just staying with current version?

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

bp96 wrote:Wow, FedoraRefugee! Wow!
At the end of all this though, the question needs to be asked, if your current install is working great, and you have it tweaked out and customized to your liking, and everything is running fine, then is there any real need to upgrade it? Much ado is made out of running the latest and greatest packages but the reality is most times they do nothing more than the older ones. Honestly, I was just as happy with the kernel 4 years ago as I am the current version I run in Arch. I mean, they both worked...right? So your newer Firefox might have had a little facelift, but the older version still surfs the web just fine and the addons do what they are supposed to do...It is not like OO.o ever goes through these major facelifts or anything...Every once in a while an app will make a major change that is worth upgrading to. But most often you would never even know the difference. If clem repackaged Mint 5 and released it as Mint 9 most users would never even know. The kernel version would give it away, but I wonder how many would ever even notice
That's an amazing comment. Hopefully, some people will read this and have a second thought on upgrading! ;) Yay! The main question is, however, after you said this, is will YOU be switching to the latest version of your distro or just staying with current version?
I will most likely ALWAYS move ahead to the next distro! :D Why? I suppose for the same reasons I was attracted to Linux in the first place. I am curious. :wink: I want to know what is next. I get bored easily, I do not think I have ever kept a personal distro more than 6 months or so.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

bp96 wrote:Wow, FedoraRefugee! Wow!
That's an amazing comment. Hopefully, some people will read this and have a second thought on upgrading! ;) Yay!
FedoraRefugee makes some great points. I've settled into using the LTS versions of Mint and/or Ubuntu. With Debian, I stick with Debian Stable. Mepis 8.5 was just released, but I'll probably just hang with Mepis 8 until Warren releases Mepis 10. I'm in no hurry.

Going with the latest and greatest can be a lot of fun. There's nothing wrong with that. As I've mentioned to FR before, sometimes there are some very good reasons for doing so. But for the most part, I'd rather just kick back and stay with what's working.
bp96 wrote:The main question is, however, after you said this, is will YOU be switching to the latest version of your distro or just staying with current version?
Curious to see the reply to that!!!

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

FedoraRefugee wrote:I will most likely ALWAYS move ahead to the next distro! :D Why? I suppose for the same reasons I was attracted to Linux in the first place. I am curious. :wink: I want to know what is next. I get bored easily, I do not think I have ever kept a personal distro more than 6 months or so.
:lol:

Sorry, didn't notice that before my previous reply! But really? Never more than 6 months or so? Didn't expect that!

FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

MALsPa wrote:
bp96 wrote:The main question is, however, after you said this, is will YOU be switching to the latest version of your distro or just staying with current version?
Look above your post! :lol:

Yeah, I keep it moving. But...I am in no great hurry. As I mentioned (maybe elsewhere?) I just got around to upgrading to Mint 8 Xfce on my two personal Mint computers just less than 2 weeks ago. However, I have been playing with other distros in that time and my Arch installs are rolling releases of course.

Heh, I have not only tried Fedora 13, which is in Beta 1 now I believe, but I also have an F14 Rawhide install going at the moment. :D I just cannot stay away...

edit: Lol, saw your last reply before posting. Hah! Forum tag!

NCCarlos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NCCarlos »

I will upgrade. I've done it with debian, so hopefully it will work with Mint. In case that doesn't work, though, I will also d/l the ISO.
| Linux Mint 10 | Gnome |

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 »

FedoraRefugee wrote:
MALsPa wrote:
Look above your post! :lol:

Yeah, I keep it moving. But...I am in no great hurry. As I mentioned (maybe elsewhere?) I just got around to upgrading to Mint 8 Xfce on my two personal Mint computers just less than 2 weeks ago. However, I have been playing with other distros in that time and my Arch installs are rolling releases of course.

Heh, I have not only tried Fedora 13, which is in Beta 1 now I believe, but I also have an F14 Rawhide install going at the moment. :D I just cannot stay away...

edit: Lol, saw your last reply before posting. Hah! Forum tag!
I thought I saw your name somewhere- but I couldn't be bothered to see if you had posted before in this topic! :lol:

bp96
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bp96 »

Hey, could someone please answer this question for me.

In the Synaptic Package Manager, in Settings---->Preferences, next to 'System Upgrade.' The options are 'Always Ask,' 'Default Upgrade,' and 'Smart Upgrade.' The default option is 'Smart Upgrade,' what does this option do and what do the other options do? Why isn't there a 'Never' because I don't want to upgrade?

EDIT: From this site: http://gnubyexample.blogspot.com/2009/1 ... se-or.html

I read and changed Prompt=default /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades to Prompt=never. This is safe isn't it? It won't disturb any of my other updates, will it? Or cause my Update Manager to break down?

P.S. You can change Prompt= to something else as well.
# default prompting behavior, valid options:
# never - never prompt for a new distribution version
# normal - prompt if a new version of the distribution is available
# lts - prompt only if a LTS version of the distribution is available

MintHat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MintHat »

I will do a clean install when it's released, but probably the 32bit in stead of 64, since I only use 1.5gb of the 8 I have.

BrenR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrenR »

Probably upgrade but I'm not sure. I'm just getting Mint8 64 tweaked the way I like it.
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”