I'm back!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
p10

I'm back!

Post by p10 »

When Mint 8 KDE was released, I realised that this very well could be the most complete linux distro to date. The prospect of never needing to change distro ever againt, sendt me on a wild goose chase testing out other distros. The obvious start was moving upstream to Ubuntu 9.10... But it felt like playing with Lego! I had to add a lot of packages to satisfy my needs. Not satisfied I went back to the distro that first convinced me that linux really could replace windows, namely Mandriva.

Mandriva felt like a real OS. The Mandriva Control Center has few real rivals in the linux world. If Mandrive ever get a decent community going, they will have a real freight train of a linux distro. However, I was soon missing the helpfulness of the Ubuntu and Mint forums. For some reason this sent me downloading the closest thing to a Microsoft distro you can get at the moment: Opensuse!

Ever since I first tried out Opensuse 9 I really wanted this to be the distro for me. It just feels so rock solid. Sadly their Yast makes setting up anything feel like you are doing it with one hand on your back, both eyes blinded using a Apple mouse with no freekin' right button! After spending close to an hour trying to add a network printer, I had to open the window and throw the Opensuse 11.2 DVD across my lawn, the fence and onto the roof of my neighbours house just to keep my sanity!

Now, back on Mint 8 on my laptop, my desktop, my Eee and my laptop at work, it is great to be home! I am (once again) struck by the way everything just works! And being able to search both Ubuntu and Mint forums for solutions means that a fix usually is just a few clicks away!

Linux Mint 8 KDE CE is still the best distro I have ever had the privilege of using. How the Mint team are ever going to top this release I have no idea, but I am really locking forward see if they can make Mint 9 even better!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: I'm back!

Post by remoulder »

:lol: Welcome back.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I'm back!

Post by waldo »

p10 wrote: Ever since I first tried out Opensuse 9 I really wanted this to be the distro for me. It just feels so rock solid. Sadly their Yast makes setting up anything feel like you are doing it with one hand on your back, both eyes blinded using a Apple mouse with no freekin' right button! After spending close to an hour trying to add a network printer, I had to open the window and throw the Opensuse 11.2 DVD across my lawn, the fence and onto the roof of my neighbours house just to keep my sanity!
You're right about Opensuse on both counts. It is rock solid and it is a PITA to set stuff up. I'm pretty sure it is being developed by guys who want to make sure they have their IT jobs come the revolution! :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”