What PPA's are you running?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

What PPA's are you running?

Post by Midnighter »

As title says. What extras do you have installed, or have PPA's set up for newer versions? I have PPA set up for installing Rubyripper (deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/aheck/ppa/ubuntu lucid main) is about it at this point. I try to stick to the tried and true, and have been happy with Asunder as a cd ripper, but hear a lot of good about Rubyripper, so giving it a spin. Do you have any enabled? What for? How are you finding them? Reliable, etc?
Last edited by Midnighter on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: What PPA's are you running?

Post by viking777 »

Exaile and Abiword.

Do I find them useful? No not really. The only reason they are there is because the two programs in question weren't functioning properly with the versions I had installed originally and so I wanted to try a newer version.

They both work properly now, so the ppa must have been useful at the time I installed them, but they are no longer necessary tbh, I just haven't got round to removing them, in fact until you asked this question I didn't even remember I had them enabled.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
JohnnyC35
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnnyC35 »

Here's my list of ppa's to keep all my software up to date: removed, exaile, firefox, shotwell, vlc, xbmc, pidgin, openoffice, kompozer, nvidia, xorg, lxde, peppermintos, mediabuntu

etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://archive.removed/ubuntu lucid-removed apps

wget -q -O- http://archive.removed/removed-archive.key | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ferramroberto/lucidtest
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yorba/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:c-korn/vlc
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pidgin-developers/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openoffice-pkgs/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:giuseppe-iuculano/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lxde/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kendalltweaver/peppermint
sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I've just added http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository karmic/ for remastersys.
Mint Cinnamon 20
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

And another question to ask about ppa's is - how secure are they?

Most ppa's are hosted on launchpad. Anyone can get a launchpad account you just need an email address. Once you have a launchpad account it looks pretty easy to set up a ppa (although I have never tried so I don't know for sure). These repositories can be and often are owned by individuals, so how much is their output checked? I guess you can be fairly sure of the security on mainstream Mint, Ubuntu or Debian repositories (although even that could be compromised) but a ppa??

You could look on a ppa as a sophisticated form of Trojan horse. It gives you something you want but does it have a hidden payload and if it did would you know about it? Don't forget also that everything you download from a ppa you are going to execute with root permissions - a crackers dream!

I don't know the answer to these questions, perhaps there is a sophisticated process in place for checking the output of all these ppa's though I somehow doubt it, I don't think the resources to do that exist.

One of the main reasons given for the continued security of Linux over Windows is that Linux software comes from recognised and reliable sources rather than random sites. Does the advent of the ppa mark the end of that advantage?

I googled this subject of course but although there is a lot of information about ppa's there is hardly any discussion of their security implications at least none that I could find.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
Lumenary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lumenary »

Howdy...

Here's my list (not all entries are LaunchPad.net PPAs):
When I install Linux Mint, I don't actually install Linux Mint. :-)

What I do is install Ubuntu first by booting up the Ubuntu Live-DVD to setup full disk encryption with USB key (flash drive) authentication. Once that's done, I install Ubuntu, then add the Mint repositories and select
  • linuxmint-keyring
and
  • mint-meta-x64
in order to "mintify" my system.

This provides me with all the advantages of Linux Mint while still allowing me to run my laptop and desktop with complete full disk encryption and two-factor authentication.

For those who are interested, I use the procedure outlined here:
It is a fairly complicated method, but if you have a laptop and take it with you when you travel, locking down your hard disk can prevent a lot of identity theft aggravation, should the computer be lost or stolen...

Best Regards,

Lumenary
US-OH-Newton Falls
TZ=EST/EDT

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”