Celena Is It

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
comsparks
Level 2
Level 2

Celena Is It

Postby comsparks » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:55 pm

I wasn't a big fan of the Linux Mint program as I was having problems with it left and right. I decided to try the Celena 3.1 the other day and see what it was like on my old HP laptop. All I can say is WOW and more WOW. Everything worked straight up. I didn't have to fiddle around for hours setting things up or getting things to work. My hat is way off to the folks at Linux Mint. GOOD JOB!!

dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

I can only agree to WOW

Postby dracorX » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:04 am

That s what I also experienced when I installed mint. It is there to stay on my hdd... ;-)

civint
Level 3
Level 3

Postby civint » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:13 pm

it is a smooth easy experience. IMO, better than the KISS//'simple' Linux OSs (slackware, arch linux, gentoo etc.) j ust cos it works, is stable and has a HUGE repo!

dracorX
Level 3
Level 3

huge repo

Postby dracorX » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:40 am

civint wrote:it is a smooth easy experience. IMO, better than the KISS//'simple' Linux OSs (slackware, arch linux, gentoo etc.) j ust cos it works, is stable and has a HUGE repo!

That s true, but that s afaik also because it can use ubuntu repos ;-)

Zyrix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: huge repo

Postby Zyrix » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:06 pm

dracorX wrote:
civint wrote:it is a smooth easy experience. IMO, better than the KISS//'simple' Linux OSs (slackware, arch linux, gentoo etc.) j ust cos it works, is stable and has a HUGE repo!

That s true, but that s afaik also because it can use ubuntu repos ;-)

I've been a long time Linux user, but I've always 'distro-jumped'. I've tried all of the major branches and some of their derivates at one point or another. My usual process was this:

1.) Install distro - sometimes an easy process (Ubuntu, Fedora) sometimes a bit more challenging (Gentoo, Slackware, Arch)
2.) Install "necessary" packages
3.) Try to configure the desktop and packages to work the way I want
4.) Become frustrated because package x won't work with y, or package x wasn't available or up to date in the distro's repositories
5.) Search for another distro that promises to be better
6.) Install said distro, repeat steps 1-5

I've been using Ubuntu almost exclusively lately, but have grown tired with it. Sure, it's nice to have a huge repository and excellent hardware detection, but I was looking for something else as well. One thing I love about Linux is the community. Ubuntu had outgrown me since I began using it (Breezy Badger days). It was no longer the small community that I had grown to love. That is what led me to Mint.

For me, Mint has the best of both worlds: excellent packages, small community, and a dedicated group of developers. I'm excited to join this community and hope that I can be of help, whether this be as a tester, supporter of other users, or developer.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”