3D Performance - Another Reason to Move Away from Ubuntu?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Jeff91
Level 3
Level 3

3D Performance - Another Reason to Move Away from Ubuntu?

Post by Jeff91 »

I recently multi-booted the crap out of my main gaming rig with 9 different Linux distros so I could run 3D stress tests between them all and see how they perform. They all scored fairly close, except for Ubuntu, which was 10% lower than my top scoring distro.

The full statistics can be found on my website here.

Why do you think Ubuntu performs so poorly?

~Jeff
Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Re: 3D Performance - Another Reason to Move Away from Ubuntu

Post by Superewza »

There's definitely something up there, i can't see why Ubuntu would perform so differently to Mint...
Jeff91
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeff91 »

Superewza wrote:There's definitely something up there, i can't see why Ubuntu would perform so differently to Mint...
Open to suggestions as to what is "up". Clean installs of Ubuntu :-/
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I don't know what the problem is with your Ubuntu install. However your illustrations contain a trick I was taught not to use when presenting data unless I was trying to fool the reader. You truncated the bar graphs. It makes it appear that some distros are twice as fast as others. This is not the case, of course. As you stated, there is only about a 10% variation, and a complete zero based graph would have shown that. For the reasons I use Linux on my computer, that 10% is meaningless, and would not dissuade me from using Ubuntu if it served my other needs well.
Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mozenrath »

That seems pretty strange. Is there anything installed on Ubuntu that isn't on Linux Mint that could possibly cause such a significant slowdown?

3D performance is pretty good on my computer. Sauerbraten gets up to 80fps even when other programs are running.
itbcn8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by itbcn8 »

:lol:
A clean install of Isadora vs. a clean install of Lucid on the same hardware usually favors Lucid for graphics and 3D... That's just me.
newfie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by newfie »

I get much better FPS on LMDE than I did on Mint7-9 and Ubuntu 7.10-10.04

Sabayon had the best, though. But I quickly became tired of stupid issues and a horrible community telling me I was retarded when I asked for help, especially when I commented I used Mint/Ubuntu in the past.

Ubuntu would always overheat on youtube and I couldn't watch videos higher than 480p on Youtube without choppy playback. On LMDE, I can view 1080p no sweat.

I play Urban Terror sometimes as well. Again, better FPS (frames per second) and smoothness on LMDE.

Ubuntu's becoming a mess.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”