Will Mint 11 follow the Ubuntu way?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Will Mint 11 follow the Ubuntu way?

Post by linuxviolin »

armornick wrote:But let me ask you this; if you don't like any user interface and don't want to use a WM with a standalone panel, why do you keep using a computer at all?
Well, I consider the GNOME 2 two-panels default look as the best, and Gnome 2 as the better desktop despite its bugs and glitches. Now, well, we/I must do concessions, especially now they screw the desktop with KDE 4 and GNOME 3. So I use what I consider as the least bad, what I can bear, what makes me do the least amount of concessions or concessions, at least, I can deal with. So, for instance, currently I use XFCE with a "Xubuntu look", i.e. with a GNOME 2 two-panels default look :wink: But that does not mean I'm completely happy with.

I used a little KDE 3.5 some times, it was usable but it is dead, although there is now the Trinity Project, and with now KDE 4... I can't no more. KDE 4 is less usable than Win7. LXDE has some advantages over XFCE, but overall I don't like it and it is a bit too simplistic for extensive use, XFCE has a lot more features.

Oh and yes, although I used with some pleasure some WM as FVWM, IceWM, Window Maker, *Box... I need a real, complete desktop. So the choices are GNOME, KDE, XFCE or LXDE. :wink:

So I use XFCE, customized with a look & feel pretty much like GNOME 2.x, but this is not because XFCE is better, it's only because GNOME follows the KDE trend and gets worse and worse! But "should the XFCE developers start eating the wrong kind of mushrooms, then" there will no more desktop usable... :(
Last edited by linuxviolin on Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Nightstrike2009
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nightstrike2009 »

Not yet obviously

Source:http://www.muktware.com/n/09/2010/440
Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint, told Muktware, "We're not planning to switch to Unity but to keep our desktop as similar as it is at the moment. So it's hard to say how we'll achieve this technically but we're aiming at using Gnome without Gnome Shell :)"

This is good news for Gnome fans, who neither wanted the new Gnome Shell or Unity.
I Personally hope Linux Mint never adopts Unity it may become the new Linux no1 distro then with all the irate ex-Ubuntu users leaving Ubuntu for other distros (As I have done).

PS: I like "gnome-shell" but would rather continue with the standard gnome than use Unity (Canonical's Frankensteins Monster)
Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) User
asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

So it's hard to say how we'll achieve this technically
I think that in one or two years, Mint will be based exclusively in Debian (and not on Ubuntu). Maybe the "rolling" one and a standard Mint 13, 14 or so on, based on a Debian's snapshot taken twice a year.
It ll be a waste of time for the team to figure out how to overcome any possible Ubuntu-ish "innovation". :wink:
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

The earth is flat. Sail away and you will fall off the edge.
Illuminati2012
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Illuminati2012 »

In Ubuntu you'll still have the option of using regular Gnome desktop if you don't like Unity.
DarkRubySage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkRubySage »

First of all, I have only read the first page of this thread, because I don't have enough time today to read it all, so what I say may have already been said.

I think we can all agree that the Unity we saw in 10.10 was awful. However as far as I know, plans are to switch to compiz. Unity is made specifically with touchscreens in mind, and I think it has a potential. In 11.04, with compiz, I expect it'll probably be good. I think that Mint will be just fine.

What I'm more worried about is the plan to ditch X11 for Wayland. Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for Wayland and it looks promising, but not so promising that in just 3 months, it will be a complete replacement for X11. It's too young, and I have seen it in action, it doesn't support much at all yet. No input, among many things. I find it absolutely ludicrous that by 11.04, it'll have everything it needs. Yes, it can be astonishing how fast things can develop in the Linux world, but this is impossible. Nothing can develop that fast! (Also, all the coders would probably break their fingers from typing so fast :lol:)

Concluding, I look forward to the future, Unity should be great, and if the devs can prove me wrong about Wayland, that's awesome. (Though I would probably need a new pair a underwear :lol:)
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I believe I remember reading that Wayland is not planned for 11.04. It is a future change.
WorfSOM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WorfSOM »

waldo wrote:I believe I remember reading that Wayland is not planned for 11.04. It is a future change.
Indeed, a way in the future change. To quote Mark himself:
I’m sure we could deliver *something* in six months, but I think a year is more realistic for the first images that will be widely useful in our community. I’d love to be proven conservative on that but I suspect it’s more likely to err the other way. It might take four or more years to really move the ecosystem.
DarkRubySage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkRubySage »

WorfSOM wrote:
waldo wrote:I believe I remember reading that Wayland is not planned for 11.04. It is a future change.
I’m sure we could deliver *something* in six months, but I think a year is more realistic for the first images that will be widely useful in our community. I’d love to be proven conservative on that but I suspect it’s more likely to err the other way. It might take four or more years to really move the ecosystem.

Indeed, I must have misread something.
WorfSOM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WorfSOM »

DarkRubySage wrote:
WorfSOM wrote:

Indeed, I must have misread something.
It's easily done, there was much discussion and many opinions raised after the announcement, much of which took what Mark said totally out of context. It can be tough sorting out the facts from the fiction.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”