did you know Mint is listed as a customization of ubuntu?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
nolag
Level 1
Level 1

did you know Mint is listed as a customization of ubuntu?

Post by nolag »

According to Ubutnu, mint is a customization of ubuntu https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives I am wondering if people here feel the same way? I know to some extentI think of it in that way, but I almost feel that it is starting to drift and is a little more than just a customizeation.
I am posting to get a free site at a new forum, try it what do you have to loose?http://howtocompute.com/member.php?acti ... ster&uid=2
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: did you know Mint is listed as a customization of ubuntu

Post by kpearsonxyz »

Personally I consider Linux Mint it's own distro. I tried Ubuntu and didn't like it.

I came from Fedora via PCLinuxOS. when PCLOS died, or at least floundered, when it's primary dev had health problems that lasted over a year, I saw it fall way behind the curve, so went looking for a new distro.

Mint was where I landed after going through several, and it's where I've been since, and I use it at work and at home almost exclusively. My employer puts their apps on CentOS that's rebranded as "Plinx", and my home server is Fedora still, but Mint is where I work.
KpearsonXYZ
Registered Linux User 424918
(15 years on Linux before[/i ]registering)
Only Linux. All Linux. Full-time Linux.
Support Windows under duress, but do it good enough for gov'ment work.
nolag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nolag »

[quote="kpearsonxyz"]Personally I consider Linux Mint it's own distro. I tried Ubuntu and didn't like it. ...[quote]

2 quick questions, what didn't you like about ubuntu, and what makes something its own distro in your mind? Like I partly feel like mint is ubuntu with a few extra packages, and custom stuff, but at the same time I feel like it is taking a different route so its a distro :P.
I am posting to get a free site at a new forum, try it what do you have to loose?http://howtocompute.com/member.php?acti ... ster&uid=2
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kpearsonxyz »

First, I'm certainly no expert on what makes something it's own distro.. With that said, my thoughts are, if when it comes up, whether from a Live CD or from an installed instance, and has a significantly different look and feel, it's a different distro. Whether it's based on .RPM or .DEB or whatever doesn't really matter to me when considering it.

One important thing my position doesn't take into account is what repositories are used. Perhaps the distinguishing feature of any version of Linux that would qualify it as a separate/new distribution is that it has it's own repositories.

Since Mint doesn't have separate/unique repos, I wonder if it is, in fact, not a separate distribution. It certainly looks different and feels different, but perhaps that's not enough. in any case, I like Mint's custom menus and control center, not to mention the plug and play capabilities.

So, my opinion is worth what you just paid me for it. :?
KpearsonXYZ
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

I tried Mint 9 as an experiment, and felt it was a variation of Ubuntu, not different enough to be worth pursuing. LMDE, on the other hand, is its own creature, and different enough to teach me some new things. LMDE also runs better on my AA1 D150 than Mint 9 did.

"Good" and "Bad" are in the eye of the beholder. Any distro that runs on your hardware, and looks (or can be made to look without a lot of effort) the way you want it to, is a good distro. I didn't like the out of the box themes on either Ubuntu 10.04 or Mint 9; overall, I found Ubuntu slightly easier to tweak to my preferences, but this could just be a result of familiarity.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

nolag wrote:According to Ubutnu, mint is a customization of ubuntu https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives I am wondering if people here feel the same way? I know to some extentI think of it in that way, but I almost feel that it is starting to drift and is a little more than just a customizeation.
Who cares? Linux is just a tool and Mint is just the version of the tool that I use. Why should I care how closely or distantly it sets from another similar project as long as it gets the job done.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kpearsonxyz »

Being a tool is nice. I use it as a tool as well. It has to perform. I also don't care for the look of Mint out of the box, so installed Emerald and created my own theme. When I'm running on a live CD, which I do fairly often because I'm relegated to using lab PCs as a night-class teacher, I have a set of things I do:

1. change font-size over-all to a smaller font: more screen real estate.
2. kick off firefox and do the same, plus load xmarks.com and get my bookmarks in sync so I'm in a familiar environment
3. run the control center and set the clock to auto, setup a printer and window focus to raise on mouse-over
4. change the background and then the theme colors - the default colors are pretty boring to me
5. if I'm on a wide-screen LCD, move the panel to the left.
6. sudo apt-get install gajim so I can connect to my work's chat server.

After I've done those things, I feel fairly comfortable.

I agree that any distribution will do the job if you can get it to look and feel the way you are most comfortable, and I'm not a Mint **** either. I don't believe in bashing other OSes, but do point out the differences if asked. I want an OS that is very plug and play, and Mint 9, out of the box, works better than any other at supporting things like network HP scanners, my work verizon air card (takes 10 to 20 minutes to get it up in the XP laptop, but if I liveCD boot, I get it up in 3 mouse clicks, or about 5 seconds), and the ATI drivers are getting very much better though I still prefer to use NVidia or Intel video. I'm not a gamer, so don't care a bit about all the bells and whistles different graphic cards have for this or that game.

I also ramble when I start writing so my apologies...
KpearsonXYZ
Anutesyn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anutesyn »

You could look at it that way, but then Ubuntu is just a customization of Debian. :roll:
I don't know, I always thought of it as its own distro.
Linux Mint 10 RC
michael.conner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michael.conner »

Anutesyn wrote:You could look at it that way, but then Ubuntu is just a customization of Debian. :roll:
+1

I like how Mint refers to Ubuntu as "one of our upstream sources." It's true.
nolag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nolag »

Anutesyn wrote:You could look at it that way, but then Ubuntu is just a customization of Debian. :roll:
I don't know, I always thought of it as its own distro.
I guess so, I have never used Debian before. I thought that Ubuntu adds a lot of actual things to the OS, in that you can not just add a few repos, download a few things and get Ubuntu from Debian (correct me if I am wrong!). It's not a big deal, just an interesting thing to think about. I mean if I was to take Mint (or Ubuntu), create a few of my own packages (add it to a repo) and change the layout (pics, and themes) would I get to call it a distro (if so I may make one :P)?
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend »

kpearsonxyz wrote:Since Mint doesn't have separate/unique repos,
Mint does have its own repositories though. :?
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kpearsonxyz »

markfiend wrote:
kpearsonxyz wrote:Since Mint doesn't have separate/unique repos,
Mint does have its own repositories though. :?
I didn't go check /etc/apt/sources.list.d before saying that, so I was mistaken. So, if that's the case, then perhaps as Mint continues to mature, maybe LMDE will become the defacto distribution, thus causing the Ubuntu link to become less of a factor.

Or not.
KpearsonXYZ
nolag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nolag »

Question, is the kernel the same or do they change it slightly to fit their needs (that goes for Ubuntu and Debian as well)? I looked up the definition of a distro, and it was pretty loose. A linux distro was simply the packages it comes with so I guess if you "customize" a distro, you have made your own if you make it come like that. I will take a look at the mint repo tonight. I am curious what they added (and changed).

I would like to make a customization of Ubuntu (or Mint but I think ubuntu would be easier), but I am not sure how to rebrand (I want people to reconise it is different). I am thinking of possible apps to add (hopefully make) and things I (and others) would like (open for suggestions). For example I am a developer and I think it would be cool if there was something that would make cross compiling (for diff arhitectures) easier, so I may make something like that.

I also think I want to make my own backup tool (I know mint has a good one but I want to make one to learn).

Anyways I am getting off topic! But this has been extreemly interesting! I may try LMDE if it gets a 64 bit version :D.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

libssd wrote: LMDE, on the other hand, is its own creature, and different enough to teach me some new things.
LMDE is just like the main Mint edition. One is a variation of Ubuntu, the other is a variation of Debian. I'm running a custom gnome Debian Squeeze build at the moment and it doesn't feel much different to LMDE at all. With the exception of the Mint tools it all works the same.
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mads »

omns wrote: LMDE is just like the main Mint edition. One is a variation of Ubuntu, the other is a variation of Debian. I'm running a custom gnome Debian Squeeze build at the moment and it doesn't feel much different to LMDE at all. With the exception of the Mint tools it all works the same.
omns, What about the performance? Thanks.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

mads wrote:omns, What about the performance? Thanks.
LMDE uses about half as much RAM as Mint 9/Ubuntu. Since I'm running LMDE from a SDHC memory card, comparisons are difficult, but it feels a lot snappier than Mint 9 running on the same card.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

mads wrote: omns, What about the performance? Thanks.
Hmm, well the default setup uses considerably less ram that standard Mint (about 50mb in my case). It doesn't have compiz enabled by default which I think adds to the illusion of the desktop feeling quicker and more responsive. I don't see a huge difference once compiz is enabled but to me it still feels faster and more responsive. I don't have any data to support that other than how it feels while using it.

As for the system itself, it's a much slicker setup than the default Debian Gnome desktop. I've been doing leaner custom netinstall builds of Debian for some time and LMDE is as slick as any minimal Gnome setup I can come up with.

The other thing that needs to be taken into consideration with LMDE is that Debian has different ways of doing things to Ubuntu. It is more difficult to setup third party drivers (e.g. nvidia) and this may be major stumbling block for newer users. I don't believe this is a negative it just means that the Debian is different and takes some getting used to.

Other issues like enabling the non-free repos to add packages and enabling the multimedia repos are taken care of for you in LMDE which is another advantage LMDE has over a pure Debian install. I don't see this as a huge advantage but I think it will suit a majority of users. An amusing take on this can be read here - http://musings.omnsproject.org/?p=697

hth :)
Robin

Post by Robin »

Great, Omns (actually Ikey - but thanks for sharing it Omns)! If LMDE were an Xfce disto I'd be using it (I don't care for Gnome). I've played with Debian a couple of times before and the new installer makes it alot easier now, but nothing compares to a LiveCD, a ready desktop, and "stuff working" right away.

I suppose I could simply uninstall Gnome and install Xfce though...

-R
mads
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mads »

omns, thank you very much for the information, and for the link. It was really funny.
Good to know that LMDE is almost as responsive as a net-install build of Debian. Thanks.
Nightstrike2009
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nightstrike2009 »

I am aware of this but consider Linux Mint better than Ubuntu, Every Linux distro out there is a fork, they all have the same Kernel design and GNU toolkit running in the background its just a case of what suits you, Ubuntu itself is a fork of Debian.
Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) User

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”