Rolling distribution like Debian VS. 6 month release like Ub

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
COKEDUDE
Level 4
Level 4

Rolling distribution like Debian VS. 6 month release like Ub

Post by COKEDUDE »

I am curious about everyone's opinion on a Rolling distribution like Debian VS. a 6 month release like Ubuntu. What are some previous problems that have occurred with one type over the other? Why do you prefer one over the other? I am trying to decide if I want to use Linux Mint Debian or Linux Mint Julia (the newest version of Mint being released in November). I have been using Linux Mint Isadora since May and like it a lot. I wanna try something new.
I_can_see_the_light
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Rolling distribution like Debian VS. 6 month release lik

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

I haven't used a Rolling release distro yet, however, the way I understand it the downside is that system breakage can occur. With 6 month releases the packages have been tested and confirmed not to break your system unless you've done something yourself, like updating parts of it from another source.
Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020D (triple booting Ubuntu, CrunchBang & Win 7)

----------
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" - R.I.P. Husse
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

Either scheme can work so its more of a question of user expectation and how well the devs and maintainers do their job.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

With Debian, Ubuntu, and Mint, you don't really have to go along with the "rolling release" model (which Debian Testing is close to) OR the 6-month release cycle.

I use Debian Stable, which is not a rolling release. With Ubuntu and Mint, I stick with the LTS versions.

As for LMDE, which is based on Testing, well, many Testing users will tell you that breakage doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

But most Debian Testing users will tell you that Testing is a lot more "stable" and "bug-free" than what you get by following Ubuntu's 6-month release cycle; LMDE should be, too.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I have used both. Many will tell you there is greater potential for a rolling release distro to cause breakage, but I found in my personal experience with PCLinuxOS that rarely did anything break. It usually comes down to how thorough the distro is maintained and tested before those updates are released. In that particular distro they test them, then release them to be tested by a select group of users for a few days. This enables them to catch any glitches before they hit the masses. In general this works well and the only issues I found were with KDE upgrades to 4.4 and 4.5 when KDE itself had upstream issues. In general the experience seemed no different than Ubuntu or Mint.

Anyone who has used Ubuntu or Mint for any amount of time well knows breakages occur even within a set release distro. So to me it's just a matter of which you want. I don't really care either way as long as it works and is well supported. I have had a good experience in both scenarios so I cannot say one is superior. But I'm also not one to stick to a LTS for the full 3 years because I do want to stay a bit more current on things so I tend to stray at the 6-12 month point. As long as it can be fixed I'm fine with either! :)
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

I prefer a rolling release, as it tends to keep more up-to-date for application sets/packages, and doesn't cause many problems, that I have come across, although sometimes a patch or wait is necessary to fix a problem
--or you can simply in the Debian way use the previous installed kernel (if a kernel change was the problem)

The main objection I have to Ubuntu style fixed releases, every 6 months, although it could be any period they choose, n ow or in the future is the need of a fresh install, unless I specifically make provisions with my application set and /home data to safeguard
--for that purpose, I see a rolling release as the superior method..
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Excellent point. I remember kernel 2.6.33.4 came out for PCLOS and I could not operate on it. But a quick reversion to the previous kernel and I was up and running. I just waited till 2.6.33.5 and deleted .4.
xieu90
Level 2
Level 2

Post by xieu90 »

it depends on you

if all your software run in LMDE then I think LMDE would be better for you, it is light and stable
the up coming mint 10 is quite heavy compare to LMDE but stunning pretty

I'm forced to use Mint RC now, cause I need mysql workbench, which doesnt run in LMDE (only very old version can run)

Personally if workbench works in LMDE then I would stay there, cause it is lighter, the temperature is also a bit cooler, which is better for my laptop.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

I also prefer a rolling release

the new LMDE comes out December

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dyfi »

Hi,

I am well satisfied with LMDE and hope the distro will eventually replace MInt cycles linked to Ubuntu. Debian is superior.

I reinstalled, for a fresh second go after playing around with the first install.. By doing this I knew exactly how to rectify any problems I came across and this second install is just magic! So far nothing broken, extremly light and fast - what more could anyone want!

To protect the install just use Clonezilla image backups regularly.

If this is just an experiment, my comments would be very, very successful.

Dyfi
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

MALsPa wrote:I use Debian Stable, which is not a rolling release. With Ubuntu and Mint, I stick with the LTS versions.
A whole lot of people say that they use "Debian Stable." But what do they mean? Do they mean that their sources.list is directed toward "Lenny" or "Squeeze?" Or do they mean that their sources.list is directed toward "Stable?" According to the website that I saw, packages travel in this order: "Sid" -> "Testing" -> "Stable" -> "Lenny" / "Squeeze" / etc.. As long as you are set to "Stable" all packages should travel through to you before they get to "Squeeze" and before they get to the next release after "Squeeze."

Here is the webpage I found that describes the course of packages as they travel through to final release: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repos ... tory-howto

Is my understanding of the map flawed? I believe that "dists" means "Lenny," "Squeeze," etc.. Is that correct?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

guimaster wrote:
MALsPa wrote:I use Debian Stable, which is not a rolling release. With Ubuntu and Mint, I stick with the LTS versions.
A whole lot of people say that they use "Debian Stable." But what do they mean? Do they mean that their sources.list is directed toward "Lenny" or "Squeeze?" Or do they mean that their sources.list is directed toward "Stable?" According to the website that I saw, packages travel in this order: "Sid" -> "Testing" -> "Stable" -> "Lenny" / "Squeeze" / etc.. As long as you are set to "Stable" all packages should travel through to you before they get to "Squeeze" and before they get to the next release after "Squeeze."

Here is the webpage I found that describes the course of packages as they travel through to final release: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/repos ... tory-howto
Yeah, if your sources point to "stable," you'll be updating to the next version whenever it moves to "stable" -- "rolling" into it. I personally choose to reinstall at that point instead, and keep my sources pointing to the version name -- "squeeze" instead of "stable," for example. Did the same with Etch and Lenny.
Lumenary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lumenary »

Howdy,

Look's like Ubuntu's headed toward the "rolling-release" paradigm in the near future, as well:

Personally, I'm not a fan of rolling-releases. There's too much chance that a given application feature update will break integration with other apps, or that a library (Linux's equivalent to a Windows DLL) update will break a multitude of apps, because it becomes impossible to code against a consistent baseline; there's almost no guarantee that a particular user will have applications or support code versions that fall within an "acceptable range."

To me, the preferred method would be to stick to the 6-month release cycle, and then provide a way to search through and add PPAs from LaunchPad within the Software Center. This would allow users to test bleeding-edge applications, while retaining the ability for the users to revert to the "official" packages if things go awry...

Best Regards,

Lumenary
US-OH-Newton Falls
TZ=EST/EDT
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Lumenary wrote:Personally, I'm not a fan of rolling-releases.
Me either, but I'm also not a fan of the 6-month release cycle. I'd prefer to see Ubuntu (and Mint) go a year between releases.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

MALsPa wrote:
Lumenary wrote:Personally, I'm not a fan of rolling-releases.
Me either, but I'm also not a fan of the 6-month release cycle. I'd prefer to see Ubuntu (and Mint) go a year between releases.
I agree. A year provides time to accomplish all that is needed in the next release, and the time to do it right so that we users aren't fighting bugs.
Mint Cinnamon 20
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

I'm actually good with either as I am running LMDE and Mint 9 on different laptops as well as a couple of other distros. I do however think that stretching the release to a year in between would help with giving more time to testing and development but I am just another guy who likes to play...
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”