This OS is full of nothing but problems!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Alpha Gamer

This OS is full of nothing but problems!

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

I was impressed when i first installed it, and it worked fine. Then this week I upgraded to Mint 10 and found that fullscreen flash doesn't work so i downgraded back to Mint 9(the version that comes free with magazines) and found that for some reason, I couldn't extract rar's. So I reinstalled Mint 9(the proper CD version I burnt myself), rar's extract, but now I find that my PSP doesn't mount. All these things worked fine on my original Mint 9 installation.

If I can get it to work i don't see myself upgrading until support for 9 ends. If i could be sure i wouldn't lose everything from my iPod, I'd switch back to crappy, virus covered Windows!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
colyn

Re: This OS is full of nothing but problems!

Post by colyn »

Upgrade?? Downgrade??

Fresh installs give far better performance than upgrade downgrade..

Why not backup all important data, wipe the drive, then do a fresh install of Mint 10. It usually works better that way..
The Alpha Gamer

I did do fresh installs, I meant upgrade as in it's supposed to be an upgraded version
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

If Mint 9 was working Why Did you upgrade to 10 :?: Was it something in 10 you just had to have?
This is not Windows You Don't have to upgrade to every release as soon as it comes out .Just wait a few weeks Check the Forum see how it's working :idea:
If Mint 9 was working before a clean install should work just Fine. Mint 10 Is Not an upgrade -It's a New Release :)

As for losing your I-Pod data by going back to Windows How can you do that your I-Pod works better in I-Tunes Anyway :(
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

often, there are 3000 things works and 10 things did not do it right.. Out of 10 things, 1-3 happened to have impact on us because the rest 7 things does not bother us.

Recently one other OS I had zero problem since its release, when new release appears I download and install it on a new partition, a few things did not work well, feedback to the forum, and several other had the same problem and developer will release new ISO as they found something there.
Not longer ago, a full upgrade on that system ( over few hundreds updates) totally broke the computer so I have to reinstall, so I learnt what is the meaning of 'rolling release' and now more cautious of doing them.
Afterall if it works , why not stay put?

I has Mint9 worked very well for a few computers, when I tried LMDE, two of them break on sound and video, after just less than few days it crashed for several time, really crash!!, but no panic, I sitll have Mint9 running well.
When I tried Mint10RC, one computer cannot even boot, must be video problem since I has black screen of dead.
I waited, keeping Mint9, when Mint10 full release come, I downloaded and install, it worked well, apparently that was solve before release.

Lesson learnt for me,, always keep old one intact, install new one on new partition and play with it for a while before switch over when all those applications that affect me are working smoothly.
As such I am multi booting lots more and enjoy more Linux
Divider

Post by Divider »

OldManHook wrote:If Mint 9 was working Why Did you upgrade to 10 :?: Was it something in 10 you just had to have?
This is not Windows You Don't have to upgrade to every release as soon as it comes out .Just wait a few weeks Check the Forum see how it's working :idea:
If Mint 9 was working before a clean install should work just Fine. Mint 10 Is Not an upgrade -It's a New Release :)
I agree completely, IF something isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
colyn

Post by colyn »

OldManHook wrote: As for losing your I-Pod data by going back to Windows How can you do that your I-Pod works better in I-Tunes Anyway :(
The reason he will in fact loose his iTunes data is because in order for the program to sync it will delete all data on the player and sync it as a new player..
The Alpha Gamer

OldManHook wrote:If Mint 9 was working Why Did you upgrade to 10 :?: Was it something in 10 you just had to have?

As for losing your I-Pod data by going back to Windows How can you do that your I-Pod works better in I-Tunes Anyway :(
It was new, why would you not want the newest version of anything? and I did wait a while, just not long enough lol
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

You can always install into a Linux re-sized partition for the new release and see how well it is working for you, running from the CD will not be the same as installing it onto the hard drive

And a fresh installation will usually be better overall than any upgrade (even though I prefer rolling releases: upgrade in place)
--as it will not have any cruft in place, it is a fresh (new) installation, and you only have to manage the applications and user settings for /home that you wish to keep using
  • It is also to that point: a fresh/new installation, that you can decide if or which applications you intend to keep using or new ones you want to add
Last edited by DrHu on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

The Alpha Gamer wrote:

It was new, why would you not want the newest version of anything? and I did wait a while, just not long enough lol
Since I'm quoted :)
Let me say i work on computers every Day-- I use Linux, work on mostly Windows Machines My best Coust. are people who want to try the latest for no reason other than it's New 'which is fine with me However when it break don't blame the OS Your Computer and OS is a Tool--Have You ever Done a Clean Install Of Windows Vista or 7 You talk Problems :lol:
As Noted It's NEW,read ,search,Google before you install-It will save you lots of Time :)
Colyn :) As for I-Tunes and I-Pods The fact is they work better in Windows-You can use I-Pod Access in windows to Transfer your data to I-Tunes-There are other programs you can use -Just search :)
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

The Alpha Gamer wrote:I was impressed when i first installed it, and it worked fine. Then this week I upgraded to Mint 10 and found that fullscreen flash doesn't work so i downgraded back to Mint 9(the version that comes free with magazines) and found that for some reason, I couldn't extract rar's. So I reinstalled Mint 9(the proper CD version I burnt myself), rar's extract, but now I find that my PSP doesn't mount. All these things worked fine on my original Mint 9 installation.

If I can get it to work i don't see myself upgrading until support for 9 ends. If i could be sure i wouldn't lose everything from my iPod, I'd switch back to crappy, virus covered Windows!
I can view fullscreen Flash without a problem in Mint 10 64-bit. I always watch 720p YouTube vids.

Before you upgrade I would always make an image of your current working OS first: http://clonezilla.org

It's just smart computing.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

JonM33 wrote:Before you upgrade I would always make an image of your current working OS first: http://clonezilla.org

In the year I have been using Linux this has probably rescued me at least once a month. As a typical Linux user I believe in "fix it until you break it, then start over again" :D .
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

OldManHook wrote:
The Alpha Gamer wrote:

Since I'm quoted :)
Let me say i work on computers every Day-- I use Linux, work on mostly Windows Machines My best Coust. are people who want to try the latest for no reason other than it's New 'which is fine with me However when it break don't blame the OS Your Computer and OS is a Tool--Have You ever Done a Clean Install Of Windows Vista or 7 You talk Problems :lol:
As Noted It's NEW,read ,search,Google before you install-It will save you lots of Time :)
Colyn :) As for I-Tunes and I-Pods The fact is they work better in Windows-You can use I-Pod Access in windows to Transfer your data to I-Tunes-There are other programs you can use -Just search :)

OldManHook quoted again:
I can not agree on the problems with windows more. Windows is such a pain in the rump to install drivers and all that stuff. you could not be more right.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

willie42 wrote:OldManHook quoted again:
I can not agree on the problems with windows more. Windows is such a pain in the rump to install drivers and all that stuff. you could not be more right.
If it is such a pain to click on an executable and click "Next" a few times then how are you using Linux?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

This is not Windows You Don't have to upgrade to every release as soon as it comes out .
Sorry, I don't agree with this statement. You *should* be able to make this, among others because it's not Windows... And we could find several reasons for updating to the new release. Btw, I must confess I have some problem with the somewhat lax policy (ok, it's maybe a little strong... :mrgreen: :P ) about updates and security in Mint sometimes... :roll:
JonM33 wrote:Before you upgrade I would always make an image of your current working OS first: http://clonezilla.org

+1 :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

To the OP, there are certainly aspects that are frustrating and things that change for the worse for some hardware from release to release. I seem to have to tackle them one by one when I move to another distro or a new release of the same distro. Sometimes, like with Mint 9, I get lucky and everything just works beautifully. But then I move to Mint 10 and I have wireless issues with the same hardware working so well in 9. I got it going, of course, but then you have delays in 10 from sleep or hibernate back to online and ready to go. In 9 it's a quick transition, but in 10 it takes over 1 minute to even start trying to connect to a wireless network.

There are little issues here and there, but those exact same issues exist in Ubuntu 10.10, which it is based upon. so the problem is bigger than Mint. I personally just transitioned to LMDE to see if it works better. So far it reacts to those changes from sleep or hibernate back to functional use much better. And other than some extra steps to configure my Broadcom wireless, so far so good. I haven't tested everything out but I am slowly using it all. And videos work full screen beautifully.

Not a recommendation in any way, just my observations. They all have quirks, but I find different ones with Windows so it seems par for the course to just have to adapt to the changes and figure out the issues as they arise.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

JonM33 wrote:
If it is such a pain to click on an executable and click "Next" a few times then how are you using Linux?
I get people bring PCs to me with no drivers or anything. so in finding drivers for some of the systems are not just that easy. Then updates and restarts. Driver incompatibilities and such. Its not just easy as clicking next. I am using Linux on my home machines.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

willie42 wrote:I get people bring PCs to me with no drivers or anything. so in finding drivers for some of the systems are not just that easy. Then updates and restarts. Driver incompatibilities and such. Its not just easy as clicking next. I am using Linux on my home machines.
You said INSTALLING drivers. You didn't say anything about finding them.

Driver incompatibilities? I assume you mean between the OS (Windows XP vs Windows 7 drivers for example)? That has nothing to do with Microsoft or Windows. Microsoft doesn't make drivers. If the hardware company doesn't have drivers on their website it's because they want you to spend more MONEY on their products.

It's also rare for newer versions of Windows to NOT have drivers for older hardware. Windows has become as bloated of an install as it is due to including so many drivers and also due to previous OS compatibility (aka Compatibility Mode) just to ensure people can still use their QuickBooks from 1998. If you don't believe me, look at the available printer drivers included in Windows 7. There's stuff in there that must be at least 15 years old.

The only times that hardware is completely incompatible when technology is so dinosaur that support for it is discontinued. The old 15-pin DA-15 game port connectors are no longer compatible in Windows 7. But really, those have been around for 20 years. Most modern motherboards don't even have serial or parallel connectors anymore. Floppy drives are a thing of the past too. Heck, PATA technology is being dragged behind with secondary chipsets. Intel doesn't even include any ATA133 controller on it's modern ICH chipset.

There's also 64-bit driver compatibility as well. But that's with every OS, including Linux.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

JonM33 wrote:
willie42 wrote:I get people bring PCs to me with no drivers or anything. so in finding drivers for some of the systems are not just that easy. Then updates and restarts. Driver incompatibilities and such. Its not just easy as clicking next. I am using Linux on my home machines.
You said INSTALLING drivers. You didn't say anything about finding them.

Driver incompatibilities? I assume you mean between the OS (Windows XP vs Windows 7 drivers for example)? That has nothing to do with Microsoft or Windows. Microsoft doesn't make drivers. If the hardware company doesn't have drivers on their website it's because they want you to spend more MONEY on their products.

It's also rare for newer versions of Windows to NOT have drivers for older hardware. Windows has become as bloated of an install as it is due to including so many drivers and also due to previous OS compatibility (aka Compatibility Mode) just to ensure people can still use their QuickBooks from 1998. If you don't believe me, look at the available printer drivers included in Windows 7. There's stuff in there that must be at least 15 years old.

The only times that hardware is completely incompatible when technology is so dinosaur that support for it is discontinued. The old 15-pin DA-15 game port connectors are no longer compatible in Windows 7. But really, those have been around for 20 years. Most modern motherboards don't even have serial or parallel connectors anymore. Floppy drives are a thing of the past too. Heck, PATA technology is being dragged behind with secondary chipsets. Intel doesn't even include any ATA133 controller on it's modern ICH chipset.

There's also 64-bit driver compatibility as well. But that's with every OS, including Linux.
As many who repairs computers especially older ones other will tell you its rare that people keep there original cds or have their drivers handy. Normally its a seek, search, download and then install.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

JonM33 wrote:
Note The Title :shock:
Have You ever installed Windows from an OEM ($99) DVD most of the MS drivers Don't work,a lot of OEM hardware is custom(Dell,HP) etc: Windows don't work out of the box :!:
A clean install of Linux is faster than Windows any day-Most of the time i use the Gold DVD :) ,a clean install of Windows is more than click on next :)
People who know how to Upgrade and fix problems is fine to try the latest and greatest But please note the title of this post by the OP,clearly not one who needs to upgrade until the OS has been out and tested for a while,those who tweak and tweak until broke then start over ,that's fine if you know how,But when you break the OS you don't blame it on the OS :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”