Granny's favorite

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Divider

Granny's favorite

Post by Divider »

6 Months ago I was asked by my beloved grandmother to fix her "internet box", A old HP machine.... It was designed for windows ME....

I figured out the problem as soon as it turned on....

2 Hours of anti-virus and anti-malware on a P3 processor later I had had enough...

I explained to my dearest granny who is older than sin, that windows was in-fact... the devil...

Okay maybe not that extreme, but still pretty close. I told her of the bad things that happen in a windows environment, like those nasty viruses.
She asked me, "So it's junk?" I replied "Grandma, how would you like to be the coolest grandma in the world?"... to my surprise she already thought she was, having taken advantage of the internet, social networks, pogo and her online banking. I introduced her to Mint 8, as there was a problem with 9 and her nvidia legacy driver. To make a long grueling story short my grandmother, without my help (beyond installation of the OS and her brother printer driver, which brother actually offers a .deb driver, whoot!) has and still is very much in love with her "Penguin Computer" as she calls it. She tells the whole world of her love for her "Penguin Computer", My uncle, whom is about 1/20th computer savvy, was stunned to see it was a linux OS, and couldn't believe a 75 year old woman, was freely using it, terminal and all.

After a six month run, she suggested that I post our story on facebook, but I wanted to personally send this to the community. Great job guys!

This story was a big THANK YOU from my grandmother, and she wants to know if she can be named after linux mint 11 xD

Her name is Geraldine and She goes by Gerry or Grandma GG. A longshot, but definatley worth a try.

Linux Mint 11 (Geraldine) sounds real classy xD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jokersloose

Re: Granny's favorite

Post by jokersloose »

OH too funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell Grandma GG she has my vote for 11

James
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kpearsonxyz »

She has my vote as well. That's awesome! Go Grandma GG!
KpearsonXYZ
Registered Linux User 424918
(15 years on Linux before[/i ]registering)
Only Linux. All Linux. Full-time Linux.
Support Windows under duress, but do it good enough for gov'ment work.
Divider

Post by Divider »

Thanks guys, I know she appreciates it, and I told her about the replies and she laughed.

She might not be the fastest typer in the west, but I'll tell ya, she's got a mean apt-get update. :lol:
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

You might want to get her to change her name to one starting with "K" because that is what Mint 11 will be up to.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Gramps50

Post by Gramps50 »

Way to go Granny!!!!! my wife who lets say is over 60 also uses LM right now she is using LMDE, she never did get the hang of Windows but she took to the Penguin right away. The says alot for Clem and the crew. So tell Granny she is not alone as there is another Granny who is also hooked on the Penguin Computer.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Divider wrote:...
Interesting thread but why do u place so ugly pic like of that of windows in your 1st post? :x
:)
Last edited by Elisa on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Gramps50 wrote:Way to go Granny!!!!! my wife who lets say is over 60 also uses LM right now she is using LMDE, she never did get the hang of Windows but she took to the Penguin right away. The says alot for Clem and the crew. So tell Granny she is not alone as there is another Granny who is also hooked on the Penguin Computer.
And lots of us Grandpa types too. :wink:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
kpearsonxyz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kpearsonxyz »

I forgot to mention that my bride (of over 30 years and a grandma to 5 with another coming) uses nothing but Linux Mint. Her desktop died, so she's stuck with an old laptop until I can get her something, but Mint is what she likes best so far. She especially likes that I have a shortcut on her desktop to a nautilus SFTP session to my PC where all our family pictures are. She browses them and put some on her facebook account.

Power To The Penguin Grannies!
KpearsonXYZ
Registered Linux User 424918
(15 years on Linux before[/i ]registering)
Only Linux. All Linux. Full-time Linux.
Support Windows under duress, but do it good enough for gov'ment work.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

kpearsonxyz wrote:Power To The Penguin Grannies!
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”