Mint on Eee PC?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ede »

It comes with Linux gOS preinstalled, so it should be no problem installing other linux-os'es.

You can actually change the ram without voiding the varranty too, so bye bye 512mb, hello 2gb! ^^

civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

I have to admint, that was one of the biggest draws for me, lol

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 9812713 »

i think the eee pc will only support 1 gig of ram max.... and that well be in the 8G model due out end of november.. However Asus has planned for a 2nd model line to be out in January .. However i doubt there will be any improvements for the 1st model, in the second line ..

As a point of interest, the eee pc is capable of displaying external Res at above 1440x 900 ... Just google the eee pc .. people have already been start hacking it :)

Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ede »

@9812713: No, the Eee-pc supports upgrades to 2 gb ram.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=8635#p8635

BUT! The preinstalled gOS does not. However, it should be no problem at all to install another linux-os with a kernel that supports 2gb ram. =) People have allready done that. ^^

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 9812713 »

sorry,

My reply was based on the Asus website. I will continue with forum that was posted by Ede, as I had my eye on this little unit, and for 399$ plus the addition of RAM, and a SDHC card -- I'd be off to the races . but I'll let the people whom purchased this figure it out before I waist some money :)

edit note: HDSD to SDHC ( Secure Digital High Capacity )

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Ede wrote:@9812713: No, the Eee-pc supports upgrades to 2 gb ram.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=8635#p8635

BUT! The preinstalled gOS does not.
Huh? Since when did the Eee PC come with gOS? That is the wallmart desktop isnt it?? :shock:

Matteran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Matteran »

Eee PC comes with a modified Xandros

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Matteran wrote:Eee PC comes with a modified Xandros
I wonder how fast it would be with gOS.

Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ede »

Matteran wrote:Eee PC comes with a modified Xandros
My bad. I read a review where the reviewer said it was gOS. Bad reviewer. :)

It's Xandros allright.

phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint on Eee PC?

Post by phantommaggot »

hmm
i love the idea of the eeePC
since i still want mint on a p1610
and im not the person that would ever want a big laptop.

if the eeePC could get its hardware up a notch, just a small notch, like the mem speed limit, and the screen size. theyd do better to put speakers elsewhere and completely utilize that available area for screen.

itd be really cool if they could catch up to the P1610 in overall usability get up to a 32GB flash HDD (removable would be amazing) and at least full speed 2gb of ram for under 500 new.. that would be TIGHT.

anyways, just my gripe on it
otherwise, this is gonna put linux out there for alot more people
even if to completely use it you have to be in "advance" mode.. or whatever..

civint - at school so not logged in...

Post by civint - at school so not logged in... »

Well, as far as I know, the limitations on the gardware for the eee are all to bring the price down. The reason its more than the $199 that it was advertised as originally is that the screen manufacturers were swapped i think, to allow better quality cheap screens. However, with the low spec machine, it's still under £300, which is pretty good for something that can do all it says it can do, and be customisable as well (since it runs linux, and has many usb ports for a laptop), so I'm still down to order myself one when I get the post chrimble dough :mrgreen:

Matteran
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Matteran »

So, my mom was in the market for a laptop. My sister has just bought a macbook from my suggestion (i'll never personally own a mac, but for a full featured laptop so she can browse the internet listen to music and play WoW you can't get much better build quality)... anyway, so I suggested the eee pc to my mom, because she will just check her e-mail, and browse the odd website, so it would be perfect. Price, size, capabilities, easy to use, etc.

So she went ahead and ordered a black one. I'm on it right now, and have had plenty of time with it (not to modify unfortunately, but with the stock OS and other things). personally, i'm very very impressed. The keyboard is small, but pretty easy to get used to in a couple hours. Somethings like the shift keys still bother me, but that's about it. The "home" key is a great feature for someone like my mom. Because I can easily tell her, "just hit this key and you'll go back to the start, and you can do something else" So it's very easy to understand, and her computer won't die because she left firefox open and started open office.

For myself... I would pretty much only prefere a slightly larger screen... I would really like a width of 1024, because then almost every website fits perfectly. The stock OS is great for both beginners and power users. But only for power users if it's a companion to a powerful desktop or laptop. The reason the stock OS is great is because almost everything is very well optimized for the lower res screen. So most everything you would use a companion machine for is installed stock as well as being optimized for the smaller screen. Believe me, I'd love to throw mint on this, but I'll have to wait until I buy my own.

So a bit of a random sort of review... but anyway. To summarize. good build quality, a great combination of components to create a inexpensive, while very useable machine. The screen while small, is very high quality and extremely sharp. the entire laptop is dead silent. I can hold it right up to my ear and not hear a sound. It's actually a really weird sensation, because it feels more like a toy or a cell phone or something, but when you start to push it and use it like you use a normal computer, you're reminded that it's capable of everything you use your main machine for. And finally, the SSD is kinda small, but the SD card integration is great, and 3 USB ports seals the deal as far as storage expandibility.

Personally, I'm going to wait for a 10" version (mild rumors floating around), and if that doesn't come to fruition in the next few months, i'll wait for the next hardware revision until i get my own. In the meantime, I'll steal this from my mom while she's sleeping for many nights to get a unique perspective on computing

yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

I just ordered the Eee PC 4G today.

I found this concerning booting the Eee PC's Xandros Desktop in Full-KDE Mode

http://www.laptopmag.com/features/Bo...l-KDE-Mode.htm

I am also interested in installing Mepis or Mint on it.

Any links or advise most welcome.

Please share your experiences.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

My wife's laptop is broken and old and I've been thinking at the eeepc lately. The only thing that bothers me is the screen resolution. I own a Sony T2XP, 10 inches screen, probably the same size as the eeepc, and I absolutely love it, so the size is not an issue. The performance would be similar or better since the Sony laptop only has 512MB RAM with a 1GB mono-core cpu.. I still can't get over the fact that we can now find ultra-portable laptops for 300 euros or so... a year ago the T2XP was still sold at about 2000 euros and it didn't even come with a webcam :) Asus did really well here.. if only it could be 1024x768... I'm not even sure all apps coming with Mint fit on such a low resolution.

Clem

micpet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by micpet »

Take a look at this cheap lappy. I have not heard of these guys before christmas but this thing could run mint very well.

http://www.zonbu.com/device/notebook.htm

Sells for under 500US. Would be cheaper in Euros.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Although it looks good, you're talking about a 15 inches screen here :) Very different usage.

Clem,
PS: I didn't realize there was no optical drive in the eeepc... you can still install ISOs through USB sticks and SD cards but it's not as straight forward.

yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

I tried Mint 4 on my Eee by using a usb dvd drive.
I had issues booting to the desktop when I selected 600 x 480 x 32 res from the boot menu.
It booted to the desktop but the icons on the desktop and in the kicker did not load.

However, I gave it a go without selecting anything and it booted great in 800 x 480 :mrgreen:

The wireless does not work and needs tickering.

I ordered a 4GB mini USB drive and will try to install mint to that.

Using the "Easy mode" that the Eee PC comes with was OK but got much better after I enabled the Xandros advanced desktop.

The forum on the following site is where most of the action is for this system.
There are a few that are adapting ubuntu and other distros to run on the Eee.
http://www.eeeuser.com/

merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:My wife's laptop is broken and old and I've been thinking at the eeepc lately. The only thing that bothers me is the screen resolution. I own a Sony T2XP, 10 inches screen, probably the same size as the eeepc, and I absolutely love it, so the size is not an issue. The performance would be similar or better since the Sony laptop only has 512MB RAM with a 1GB mono-core cpu.. I still can't get over the fact that we can now find ultra-portable laptops for 300 euros or so... a year ago the T2XP was still sold at about 2000 euros and it didn't even come with a webcam :) Asus did really well here.. if only it could be 1024x768... I'm not even sure all apps coming with Mint fit on such a low resolution.

Clem
Maybe you should look into this. It's a competitor to the Eee PC made by Everex.(comes with gOS 2.0)
Everex CloudBook, a 2-pound ultra-small laptop with a 7-inch screen, a 30GB hard drive, a Webcam, and good connectivity (Wi-Fi, 3 USB ports, a 4-in-1 card reader).
http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9846075-2.html

yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

I don't remember seeing this brand in Walmart in Canada ... maybe just in the US.

30GB would be nice but the VIA chipset might bite you.
I have experienced the VIA bite again recently ... it would freeze up running a dos app in XP :roll:

My 4GB USB mini hdd came in this week but it was DOA.
I returned it and decided to gave up on the idea.
Might spring for a 4 or 8GB sd card instead if the price is right.

It's hard to resist the temptation to mod or increase the capacities of the Eee PC.
After owning mine for a few weeks it has become clear that I don't use it much since I have systems all over the house including one in the kitchen. However, because of it's size and weight, I bring it everywhere I go and use it for internet on the go and that was the appeal when I decided to buy one. If I need to save any work or download any file, I can simply save it to the 2GB sd card ... too easy.

molom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by molom »

If any of you guys are so interested in Mint on eee PC someone could develop one using this Xubuntu distro that is made for the eee PC ( http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home ).

Cheers,
molom

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”