I am disappoint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Hawkpaw
Level 1
Level 1

I am disappoint.

Post by Hawkpaw »

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to say (not rant about!) how disappointed I am with Linux so far. I got the hard drive in my laptop replaced yesterday, but I'm still waiting on the software to restore Windows, and restore my laptop to factory specs. Meanwhile, I decided to install Linux Mint, both as something to use while I wait for my restore disk, and as an emergency response should Windows completely crap out on me. And so far, I have been plagued by:

[*]Long boot times
[*]The inability to boot up from standby/hibernate
[*]The inability to enter standby/hibernate
[*]Linux freezing
[*]Trillian not booting up (installed via WINE)
[*]External speakers not muting when I plug in my headphones (took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to fix that, but it's annoying as hell to fix it every single time I plug my headphones in)

All within the space of 12 hours. So far, I'm looking forward to going back to Windows. The restore CD can't get here fast enough.
GSXR750L
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I am disappoint.

Post by GSXR750L »

:lol:
cra1g321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cra1g321 »

Why solve the problem, when u can just run away from it ;)
PC - Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970 , AMD Bulldozer FX-4 4170, Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1600MHz C9, Zotac Geforce 8800GT AMP Edition, OS's = Linux / WIN7
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

You make it sound like you "just installed" Mint on your computer ... when you have been a Forum member and user for almost a year. :roll:

You have made other posts, that were not so negative.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
Hawkpaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hawkpaw »

Yes, well, I have been considering dual-booting Linux for a while now. I even installed it inside Windows once and it worked fine. But now, I just installed version 10 on my computer, and I've had nothing but problems.

I got no problem with trying to fix them, and if anyone has any solutions I would be more than grateful to hear them. But I should not have to correct them, it should come with at least some of these issues addressed.
GSXR750L
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GSXR750L »

@ Hawkpaw

Don't leave it too late to make that appointment, there's no stigma attached these days.

You are quite right you do not have to correct problems, its optional.

Again you're right, some of these issues are addressed in the forum.

I'm sorry I can be of no help, lack of skills, but keep trying you may get lucky :D
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Hawkpaw wrote:it should come with at least some of these issues addressed.
Should. But, doesn't, I guess. Work on correcting them? Try a different distro? Just go back to Windows? Decisions...
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

Yup never mind that the problem may have been a bad download (did you check the MD5sum?)bad burn (again did you check the disk integrity?)bad drivers (what kind of equipment are you using?)even something as simple as maybe choosing the wrong set up. Hmmm these all can cause problems ,but RATHER than fix a problem just go buy more M$ crud . Hey even better go out and buy a whole new computer ...it will only be obsolete by the time you get it home. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh yes you are getting a restore CD of course I hope the drivers are working other wise you will be in even worse shape than you're in now :roll: :roll: :roll:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

The Trillian "bug" is not something that can, or needs, to be addressed (it's Windows software that was never designed to run on Linux), but the others are legitimate problems. I don't think hibernation has ever been a strong point for Linux.
Imhoteps
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Imhoteps »

Hawkpaw wrote:..I just wanted to say (not rant about!) how disappointed I am with Linux so far. I got the hard drive in my laptop replaced yesterday, but I'm still waiting on the software to restore Windows, and restore my laptop to factory specs. Meanwhile, I decided to install Linux Mint, both as something to use while I wait for my restore disk, and as an emergency response should Windows completely crap out on me..
Funny logic!
Dude`s harddrive has gone - Mint`s fault!
Dude has no clue how to get and install Windows and needed drivers with no factory`s CD (coming with crappy unneeded bloatware on it, bye the way) - Mint`s fault!
Dude did not check out .iso`s checksum - Mint`s fault!
Dude has no clue if his CD-ROM or flash-drive is in order - Mint`s fault!
Dude doesnt want to google a little how Linux usually has being installed correctly - Mint`s fault!
Dude is feeling terrible and his disappointment`s growin` up cuz all is a mess - Mint`s fault!

May I ask you friend - have you ever heard about curved_hands.dll-s and missing brain.exe?
And may I whisper you something - you don`t need to wait for factory`s bloatwared CD to get Windows back. Look @ bayswhatweallalreadyknow. PLUS it`ll be completely legal, using their Windows .iso in the case you have legal serial # and sticker (if OEM) on the bottom of your puter.
Finally - redownload Mint, check it`s MD5, learn a bit how to install Linux properly (@ least untill Windows CD arrives). And stop blaming Mint for a second ;)

P.S. Pardon my weak English. Latvian here ya know...
Windows 8: Designed to fail
Hawkpaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hawkpaw »

Okay, guys. Seriously. I'll admit I was having a bad day when I made this thread, but so far all I've gotten so far are flames. I had expected this OS to have a helpful, supportive community, but so far I've seen very little of that.
Imhoteps wrote: Dude`s harddrive has gone - Mint`s fault! Wait, what? How could you possibly get that from what I said? I am not in the slightest blaming Mint for my problems before installing Mint, that would just be stupid.
Dude has no clue how to get and install Windows and needed drivers with no factory`s CD (coming with crappy unneeded bloatware on it, bye the way) - Mint`s fault! Uh, yes I do. I specifically said it's on its way.
Dude did not check out .iso`s checksum - Mint`s fault! Mighty big assumption from you there, chump. I happen to have some idea what I'm doing, I did at least check the checksum.
Dude has no clue if his CD-ROM or flash-drive is in order - Mint`s fault! Yes I do. I had the entire computer checked out at the store.
Dude doesn't want to google a little how Linux usually has being installed correctly - Mint`s fault! I did my homework extensively on a library computer before installing Mint. I used a guide found on this very forum.
Dude is feeling terrible and his disappointment`s growin` up cuz all is a mess - Mint`s fault! Not everything is a mess. But these points I brought up are serious concerns.
Dumbass. Perhaps you should pop your head out of your ass and maybe consider that people other than you have the vaguest idea what we're doing. I'm far from an expert, but at least I have some common sense.

And I apologise for my language. But if you're gonna insult a guy, you should be ready to get as good as you give.
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

To be fair it didn't sound like asking for help so I wonder what reaction you were expecting.

Most of us here love Mint and I've seen so much help given to users who have had problems (far more that with any paid for service). That said it's nice to ask politely then the response will usually be in kind!
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

Okay, guys. Seriously. I'll admit I was having a bad day when I made this thread, but so far all I've gotten so far are flames. I had expected this OS to have a helpful, supportive community, but so far I've seen very little of that.

You get what you give. Had you asked for help you would have gotten help, however you opened with a rant and look what that got you. Now you are playing the victim card, not too many people are going to buy into that. My suggestion is either adopt a more constructive approach to the situation, throw in the towel or troll out, blow up and get it over with.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

@Hawkpaw: Yeah, anybody can have a bad day. And it's cool to let off a little steam. No harm done in the end. Obviously, there are tons of very happy Linux users out there, so most likely you could get all or most of your issues fixed if you want to. But, nothing wrong with trying out a different distro, or even going back to Windows if it's a better fit for you.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

@Hawkpaw: A detailed description of your hardware would be useful. Without that, people can only guess or make snarky comments. Note, however, that the forum rules specifically say: Please do not post support questions here.

If you want help solving your problems, this is the wrong place. The Hardware Support forum is a better bet. The more information you can provide about your environment, the more likely you will be to receive useful suggestions to resolve your problems. "I am disappoint" won't cut it.
Hawkpaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hawkpaw »

Well, as I've said, I do apologize for my bad mood. This really did end up turning into more of a rant. I've posted another thread over in support, which would be the proper place for it.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I've locked this thread as it has been superseded by this one http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=65028

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”