Gnome3

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Gnome3

Post by linuxviolin »

michaelzap, your comment was quite funny, thank you very much. 8) But what is "conniptions"? I'm sorry for my bad English but I don't know this word. :oops:

I know that anger is not always a good guide but when you see the GNOME 3 idiocy it is sometimes difficult to contain oneself... And you want what? I hold my tongue? It is sure it would probably be much more convenient and easy for some/many, yes... :roll:

In fact, perhaps I'm going to reevaluate my opinion on KDE now we have the much more stable 4.6.2, like in Fedora 15 KDE. I'll just quote a post by a guy who explains the things a much better way that I could do with my poor English. :D I completely agree with him:
If it has to be “Linux on the desktop”, it might as well be Fedora 15 KDE

I’ve been grudging against “Linux on the desktop” on several occasions in recent times, and not without good reasons. The level of bugginess in all the distros and the constant regressions in almost each and every new kernel release is abysmal, not to mention that they constantly try to break thinks precisely because they worked—see KDE4 over KDE3, or GNOME3 over GNOME2. There is definitely chaos, not leadership, with Linux.

Yet, I was missing it—as a desktop (laptop) OS, not as a server OS, nor as an embedded system. I was missing CentOS or Scientific Linux (SL 6.0 is my recommendation for Enterprise-grade stability).

I have been playing lately with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu 11.04, with Fedora 15 (Beta) in LXDE (this one on a very old laptop), XFCE, GNOME3, KDE, with OpenSUSE 11.4 in KDE, with a few Mint flavors (including the Debian-based XFCE one). I dismissed Mandriva because of the way it looks, and the fork named Mageia has not even released 1.0, yet they now issued LiveCD Beta2 versions, and the KDE defaults seem very sane (although it uses the old Kicker-style menu).

Let me remind you my belief that GNOME3 is broken by design, and the same can be said of Ubuntu’s Unity. Under the GNOME3 tag I’ve collected various opinions that prove I’m not the only guy to be dissapointed with such an “evolution”. The fallback mode has no future (it will surely be discontinued in the future), and sticking to the distros that provide GNOME2 is possible, however those LTS/EL distros will make you use older versions of various applications.

So GNOME is dead, long live… who?

LXDE is nice, cute, sweet, blazingly fast, but too minimalistic. PCManFM is practical when it has a compact list view, but not when it lacks a tree panel. Fedora 15 LXDE could be a great choice though for those who are not afraid to invest some time in adjusting their system’s settings.

XFCE is, I am sorry to say, “never there yet”. No matter how you’re configuring it, it still feels like Win95 or maybe Win98. And its inability to display the desktop icon titles with a transparent background (and shadowed/outlined text for improved visibility over the wallpaper) is simply a decision to stick to 1995!

Finally, no matter how much I criticized KDE4’s Dolphin, I seriously started to consider KDE 4.6.2 as a possible “best choice for a Linux desktop”. This needed further evaluation.

I should say that a major requirement in my case is that a distro released or installed in 2011 supports BCM 4311 out-of-the-box. Yes, I need it, as I can’t have wired Internet here where I am now.

Everything Ubuntu and Mint is as braindead as it ever was: I am proposed to install “restricted drivers” (Broadcom STA), yet I need a wired NIC in order to download the drivers! Just how idiot is that? That bloody package is not on the Live/install media! Needless to say, plain Debian discs don’t offer out-of-the-box BCM 4311 support either.

OpenSUSE 11.4, while working satisfactorily in VirtualBox, had some issues with a real live session on the real hardware, so eventually I dismissed it. I am not at ease with its package management tools anyway. Somehow, I also failed to make it support BCM 4311 right away. I’ve liked playing with SUSE Studio in the past, and there are plenty of extra repositories available, but it looks like it’s not my current cuppa tea.

Oh, and Mageia doesn’t support BCM 4311 on the LiveCD.

So it eventually went into making an extensive trial of Fedora 15 KDE, which is still in Beta, but it offers a very pleasant KDE 4.6.2 experience!

And F15 includes b43-openfwwf on all the LiveCD flavors, so BCM 4311 is supported from second zero! Yay!

Once you add a Folder View Activity on the desktop, it starts looking like a decent thing. Since 4.6, KDE really looks much more polished than in the past, and it’s also much more stable in 4.6.2. I still strongly dislike the concept of a plasmoid, but I suppose I could get used with that. I also lack a squared green System Monitor system tray applet that would show my CPU load and nothing more, but I suppose I could live with this thing that KDE always lacked (while GNOME, XFCE, Windows XP always had – LATE EDIT: OK, the darkgrey-on-grey CPU Monitor does the job, even if it can’t be made to look green.)

I even started to find Dolphin quite acceptable, given the general feeling of a better “polish” that the whole KDE 4.6.2 desktop exhibits. Some crashes I have experimented with 4.6.1 seem to have been fixed after updating the packages to 4.6.2. For managing huge directories with similar files (in a compact list view), I experimented with the latest Thunar, as it doesn’t bring too many dependencies, and I was satisfied with the way a GTK+ application looks under the latest KDE. To my surprise, even KPackageKit worked smoother than expected.

Of course, RPMFusion is needed for the restricted codecs. Also, when Gnash fails, Adobe’s Flash comes to the rescue (Yum repo RPM). Users of Calibre might want to add Kevin’s fedora-calibre.repo for getting the very latest version.

All in all, even if Fedora 15 is not released yet (ETA May 25), it’s less buggy than Ubuntu (at least in my experience), therefore after a couple of days of playing with F15 KDE, I’m joining Juan “Nushio” Rodriguez into recommending KDE4 with Fedora 15 as the way to go even for those who are long-time GNOME2 aficionados!

Here, I just said it.
OK he also talks about other thing, like the support for BCM 4311 out-of-the-box - btw, why it is not supported out in the box, even in a distro like Mint?- but again I agree with him on everything other, especially about the desktops.

GNOME is dead, long live… :roll:

P.S.=
zerozero wrote: 8) extensions :lol: extensions 8)

GS is very flexible and the community already started to tweak it
If still needed, just the fact that it needs to be tweaked and the need for extensions are proofs of idiocy...
Last edited by linuxviolin on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:40 am, edited 6 times in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

Anyone else starting to think linuxviolin's main task in these forums is to troll? The OpenOffice thread was a joke, now this one.
Crivens!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

ThistleWeb wrote:Anyone else starting to think linuxviolin's main task in these forums is to troll? The OpenOffice thread was a joke, now this one.
Hmm, when we say things that you do not like or that are not in tune with the times, here in this forum or elsewhere, this displeases you, bothers you? Quite interesting... It's true it is very easy to treat of troll what does not suit you... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
pony-tail
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pony-tail »

Well said !
cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Gnome 3

Post by cpatrick08 »

linuxviolin wrote:
Meteor wrote:I'm waiting for Xfce 4.8. I'm more curious about how it hopefully improves Xfce. Guess it's time to check the repos and see if it is available...
If you want testing XFCE 4.8 you could try Fedora 15 XFCE Spin for instance, it uses XFCE 4.8... Just a hint. :wink:
xfce 4,8 is available in sid
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Gnome 3

Post by michaelzap »

cpatrick08 wrote:
linuxviolin wrote:
Meteor wrote:I'm waiting for Xfce 4.8. I'm more curious about how it hopefully improves Xfce. Guess it's time to check the repos and see if it is available...
If you want testing XFCE 4.8 you could try Fedora 15 XFCE Spin for instance, it uses XFCE 4.8... Just a hint. :wink:
xfce 4,8 is available in sid
I upgraded my test installation to Xfce 4.8 from the Sid repos. I had some trouble with missing themes and icons and the network manager applet didn't work at first, but I fixed those glitches and now it works great. I decided to wait until the packages arrive in testing before upgrading my main system, however, since I'm happy with the current stable version now.
nosideeffects
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nosideeffects »

linuxviolin wrote:
ThistleWeb wrote:Anyone else starting to think linuxviolin's main task in these forums is to troll? The OpenOffice thread was a joke, now this one.
Hmm, when we say things that you do not like or that are not in tune with the times, here in this forum or elsewhere, this displeases you, bothers you? Quite interesting... It's true it is very easy to treat of troll what does not suit you... :roll:
Holding an opposite opinion is not being a troll.. raging in the forms about your opinion, when you have made it very clear what it is, attacking the dev team, and calling those who actually enjoyed the GNOME 3 experience idiots, excessively, is.. well.. trolling. Kudos to ThistleWeb for being the first in this thread to actually call you out on it. Kudos to many others for simply ignoring your incessant irritation while I couldn't.
asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

So, is there any real advantage in selecting Gnome3 ?
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

asymmetros wrote:So, is there any real advantage in selecting Gnome3 ?
If you like Gnome Shell, then definitely yes. If you don't, then definitely no. There are numerous other improvements to the component parts of Gnome 3 (Nautilus, etc.), but that's the fundamental difference that would make me switch.
pony-tail
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pony-tail »

In any case, you can change the default option to "Power Off.." by using the gnome shell extensions.
Yes and this is easily discovered by just using the GUI ?
I do not think so .
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

no. the extensions are not part of GS, are community hacking to improve it;

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”