Linux Mint and Windows

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Lostwithaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint and Windows

Post by Lostwithaclue »

I am not looking to start a flame war but to gather some information. A friend of mine who is in IT and I were discussing Windows and Linux and he said that Linux was evil and I should stay away from it (too late). When he went to school he had four days of training on Linux and said it was too difficult to learn :lol: . My goal is to try to convert him but it is going to be a slow process.
I was going to throw facts and figures back at him to convince him that his statement was entirely wrong since he has never used Linux. I was searching on the web today to find some information on Windows VS Linux and most of the stuff I found was so outdated it is no longer relevant. I could not find one recent website that laid out any flavor of Linux and compared it to any version of Windows. Does anyone know of a website that does this or where I can find some good hard data on the subject.
lmintnewb

Re: Linux Mint and Windows

Post by lmintnewb »

Just an opinion.

Wouldn't waste too much time on it. Linux is evil ? M$ are the good guys ? Sounds like a situation where you have absolutely nothing, other than aggravation to gain. He likes to pay for buggy, crappy, hole ridden, expensive and inherently limited corporate software. Each their own ...
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Have to agree with lmintnewb. There are so many arguments for and against both, it will always be a stalemate at best. Just wish him luck with his viruses and malware. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20
Robin

Post by Robin »

People who have no reason to "convert" are not going to. And they'll only get ticked off at you for suggesting it. Most people "discover" Linux because they are looking for an alternative OS, or can't afford to invest in a new machine. My own story is that way, and as it turns out, I'm not geeky enough for Windows! Windows is way too complicated for me. I'm a simple boy, so I stick with Linux! Really! here is why.
how I discovered Linux

-R
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Of course you could always point out to him that he probably uses the "evil" Linux on a daily basis. Mobile phone, set top box, Google, well over half of the worlds web hosting etc. If he really is that averse to Linux perhaps suggest he gives all those up to. It may give him food for thought.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

As was stated earlier, if he is not ready and willing to convert to Linux, you probably will not be able to convince him.

The best way I have found is to just use Linux where he can observe you doing it and let his curiosity take it from there. Sooner or later Windows will crash on him once too often and, if he has seen you using Linux Mint with no problems or difficulties, he will come to you and ask for a demo or even assistance in installing Mint or some other Linux distro.
Registered Linux User 483387
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Refer his to this site for a good comparison. http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

rdonnelly wrote:Refer his to this site for a good comparison. http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
Very nice site, I read it one day when I was bored. Lots of good information!
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

thouartsimple wrote:
rdonnelly wrote:Refer his to this site for a good comparison. http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
Very nice site, I read it one day when I was bored. Lots of good information!
I think I picked up the link here, but it pretty much brings an end to the argument.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ! ... lol ! ...

I have a story like this too ! ... and this guy told me ... " LINUX is a product of an frech manufactury " ! ...
" it's produced in France " ! ... " it's not kompatible with Windows " ! ... " and it don't cost nothing " ! ...
and he acted like he knows everything about it ! ... " and it is for free " ! ... " is gratuit " ! ...

but he sticks to his old ' Windows XP ' ! ... of course he don't surf too much in the internet ! ...

I sayed ! ... yeah yeah ! ... and left him on his owne ! ... (just a stupid person) ! ...

casey972oo

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

Lostwithaclue wrote:I am not looking to start a flame war but to gather some information. A friend of mine who is in IT and I were discussing Windows and Linux and he said that Linux was evil and I should stay away from it (too late). When he went to school he had four days of training on Linux and said it was too difficult to learn
Well, that would be the problem, if you were trying to convince him of a Linux option, especially if you were to suggest that it could be used in his area of IT
  • It is not in his interest to talk up Linux as any kind of alternative to the OS he is making a living at supporting; in fact even suggesting it might be seen as traitorous (not a party member), although that depends on the IT shop, some are relatively interested in options available, many are not
Lostwithaclue wrote: I was searching on the web today to find some information on Windows VS Linux and most of the stuff I found was so outdated it is no longer relevant. I could not find one recent website that laid out any flavor of Linux and compared it to any version of Windows.
I could not find one recent website ...of Linux and compared it to any version of Windows.
How much changed do you believe the windows OS has become, since the introduction of windows NT
--if you had used NT, you pretty much understand (XP, Vista or win7), there are only evolutionary changes in each version

There are some comparisons of Linux and Windows and Apple OS available
--you just have to understand the source (philosophically "consider the source"), it may be a skewed viewpoint.
http://oissite.com/Company/interview.aspx
http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... _and_Linux
Lostwithaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lostwithaclue »

Thanks for the replies. I like the way Robin put it with "discover" instead of convert. Right now I am in Iraq and have the time to help him discover Linux without being too aggravated. The websites that were suggested are great. I looked at http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/Linux.vs.Windows.html last night and didn't like it too much because of the use of outdated material but I think it is a great format to look at doing again with a few distros.
When I was in school it was preached to me to stay away from wikis while doing research but I like the link from DrHu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... _and_Linux. I saw that one and didn't even click on it.
Thanks everyone for the input, if you have any more please keep it coming.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

OK ! ... here I am ! ... again ! ...

I switched to LINUX ... when I found out ... ' Windows means SLAVERY ' ! ...
and ... ' LINUX means Freedom ' ! ...

I'd rather stay free ! ...

and ... ' Lostwithaclue ' ! ... come back home saved ! ...

casey972oo

Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zero Prime »

I don't try to convert people. They know I use Linux and some of them get interested and switch with some guidance. Your friend sounds like a man from a PC repair shop in my area I took my old PC there to get the mobo and power supply checked. For some reason he needed to know what version of Windows I was running. I told him none, that I had Linux Mint 5, (yeah, that long ago lol). He said, "Linux?, Why would you use that free garbage, everyone knows that Linux is hacked freeware". I asked him how many Windows PCs does he get on a weekly basis to remove viruses and fix the dreaded BSOD problems V/S the amount of Linux machines. He had no comment.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

casey972oo wrote:' Windows means SLAVERY ' !
Why? Because you have not the source code and there are not more 300 flavors of it? This is typically a Linux fanboy sentence. It's just an OS, you know, and you are absolutely not obliged to pay for some other Microsoft, or other, products as you have plethora of open source, and free, apps you can install and use, even many Linux apps like Gimp for instance, just like in Linux... So you have freedom. :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

linuxviolin wrote:
casey972oo wrote:' Windows means SLAVERY ' !
Why? Because you have not the source code and there are not more 300 flavors of it? This is typically a Linux fanboy sentence. It's just an OS, you know, and you are absolutely not obliged to pay for some other Microsoft, or other, products as you have plethora of open source, and free, apps you can install and use, even many Linux apps like Gimp for instance, just like in Linux... So you have freedom. :roll:
Hi there ! ... ' linuxviolin ' ! ...

I have two netbooks which came to me with a ' preinstalled version ' of ' Windows ' ! ...

one ... ' Acer-Aspire-One ' ... with ' Windows XP ' on it ! ... and ...
one ... ' Acer-Ferrari-One ' ... with ' Windows 7 Home Premium ' on it ! ...

the first with XP on it ... was infected by virus three-times ! ... and I had to go to the workshop for get it fixed again ! ...
finaly the program was not fixable no more ! ... and I did get me another HDD with ' Ubuntu o9.1o Karmic Koala ' on it ! ...
and ' Acer-Aspire-One ' was running just fine ! ...

the second one with ' Windows 7 ' OEM-Version ! ... did work just fine till I did install ' Ubuntu 1o.1o Maverik Meercat ' alongside ! ...
and ' Microsoft Corporation ' send me an ' Update ' ! ... after this ... there was no more ' bootup ' ! ...

" no such partition grub rescue " ! ...

they did empty the ... ' config.sys ' ... ' msdos.sys ' ... and ... ' io.sys ' ! ...

and all my ' licences ' for those ' Windows-Applications ' where blown in the wind ! ...

that's why I switched to LINUX completly ! ...

and I think ! ... you just talk like one of this ' Microsaft-Fuzzies ' ! ...

casey972oo

Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zero Prime »

So in all you just said, where is the slavery part? If you got that many viruses, it's really your own fault. I have not once got a virus while using Windows. I switched because I got tired of how the OS eventually slows to a crawl. I did proper maintenance, but that didn't help. After performing a fresh install of my OS for the umpteenth time I saw an article in MaximumPC about Ubuntu and tried it. I've been using Linux since.

You also do realize that if you learn your way around Windows, you can change almost anything right? Your not locked into what MS wants you to do. There is a plethora of Open Source software for windows. You can even use KDE on Windows.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Zero Prime wrote:So in all you just said, where is the slavery part? If you got that many viruses, it's really your own fault. I have not once got a virus while using Windows. I switched because I got tired of how the OS eventually slows to a crawl. I did proper maintenance, but that didn't help. After performing a fresh install of my OS for the umpteenth time I saw an article in MaximumPC about Ubuntu and tried it. I've been using Linux since.

You also do realize that if you learn your way around Windows, you can change almost anything right? Your not locked into what MS wants you to do. There is a plethora of Open Source software for windows. You can even use KDE on Windows.
I support this answer and I add before using Linux/BSD I have used Windows for many years, and even XP, without never get some viruses... :roll:

Linux is an alternative to Windows like other and the freedom and the choice is just you can choose to use some OS you want: Windows, Linux, BSD, MacOS or any other. :!:

If I dared I would say that slavery is just in your head... :roll: :wink:

P.S.=
casey972oo wrote:you just talk like one of this ' Microsaft-Fuzzies ' !
' Microsaft-Fuzzies '? Hmm, for your info I use now Linux/BSD since many years, and just Linux... :mrgreen:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi guy's ! ... out there ! ...

my expierience with ' Windows ' is just like that ! ... what I did tell ya already ! ....
and maybe I'm kind of missunderstood ! ... of course there is nothing bad on ' Windows ' ! ...

is just .. you are chained in those contracts from ' Microsoft Corporation ' ! ... that's the SLAVERY ... I'm talking about ! ...

' Windows 7 ' is a realy nice OS ! ... I wouldn't have switched to LINUX ... when it would run without no problems ! ...
but there is a programm ... you will find it in ' System32 ' ... and also in ' sysWOW64 ' ! ... it's called ...

'SystemPropertiesDataExecutionPrevention ' ! ... it's like a ' deepguard-function ' in a firewall ! ...

and with this programm ' Microsoft Corporation ' can block anykind of programm what they don't like ! ...
they did block my ' Revo Unistaller Pro ' ! ... where I had payed for this licence ! ...
and they made my ' ZenmapGui ' work nomore ! ... " can't open eth9-device " ! ...

and there are a lot of other ... for me ' unnessesairy ' programs in ' Windows ' ! .. like ' .Net Framework ' ! ...
and ' TrustedInstaller ' ! ... ' Windows-Activation-Key-Input ' ! ... also ' Internet-Explorer ' ! ...
' Remote-Assistance-Service ' ! ... and all kind of ' Language-Libraries ' ! ...

after I did install LINUX ' alongside of ' Windows 7 ' ... I found out ... that you can read/write this ' Windows-partition ' ! ...
and take out all those unnessesairy programs from there ! ... like this ' automatic-update-manager ' ! ...

and ' Windows 7 Home Premium ' became even much more faster ! ... without all this trash-programs ! ...

but not for long time ! ... just till I made download of ' Firefox 4.o ' ! ... and after ' reboot ' there was nonfunction at all ! ...
" no such partition grub resque " ... was the message from LINUX ! ...

and ' config.sys ' ... ' msdos.sys ' .. and .. ' io.sys ' where empty ! ...

voila ! ... that's my story ! ...

casey972oo

casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

linuxviolin wrote: Hmm, for your info I use now Linux/BSD since many years, and just Linux... :mrgreen:
but you still talk like one of those ' Microsaft-Fuzzies ' ! ... even when you use LINUX since many years ! ...

casey972oo

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”