Linux Mint and Windows

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint and Windows

Post by linuxviolin »

casey972oo wrote:lol ! ...

so go ahead and wait ! ... lol ! ... I am the proof ! ... I am the Whitness ! ... of this crime ! ...
maybe you want some pictures of mine ? ...
casey972oo wrote:I say so ! ... because it is so ! ...
My God! This is just so stupid. And we always wait for a proof, as asking by other. I hope that you will never be a juror in a trial because with arguments like this you're scaring me...

I see you have some reinforcements also silly... But I hope they are just ironic... If not, all of this is, you are, very serious
mzsade wrote:Aah, evil corporate house
For you too "corporate" is evil? OK, then throw everything you have and build it all what you need yourself with friends in your garage... Idem for what you eat. All of this is, people are, just so silly, again.
Last edited by linuxviolin on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

casey972oo wrote:
Fandangio wrote:It is, because I say it is!
WRONG ! ... I say so ! ... because it is so ! ...
With an argument like that who can disagree?
Who needs rationale, logic and evidence when you can put it so succinctly!
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

the theme here is " Linux Mint and Windows " ! ... if you don't have nothing more to say ? ... just shut up with your face ! ...
Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fandangio »

What's next?

Nah nah ne nah nah?
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

casey972oo wrote:the theme here is " Linux Mint and Windows " ! ... if you don't have nothing more to say ? ... just shut up with your face ! ...
Well, I said myself almost the same thing by reading your "posts" but I am too polite to write it in a forum towards people... Btw, why so much violence?... Well, in fact, let drop, I have my answer... :roll: :mrgreen:

But let's move on to another thing/subject please, all this is just ridiculous...

P.S.= Some problems to give what people ask you? No kidding! :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

ok ! ... ' linuxviolin ' ! ... I agree with that ! ... of course it's already boring ! ...
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Nah nah ne nah nah

Just messing round. This thread has gone off the track way back. Though is kinda entertaining actually, lol. :D

OT: Op you could always just point out the simple fact that theres 18 gazillion distro's of linux a person can try for free. With a lil common sense and research beforehand. They'll run into few headaches in taking linux for a test drive. Everything from live discs you can try with no system changes. To distro's that are spec meant to be run from disc ... knoppix, puppy blahblahblah.

VS. Preinstalled M$ stuff. That presumes to make all the decisions for you. Costs a nice lil chunk of $ ... and is known to be maintenance intensive and security buggy. Basically you're talking to a person who spent zero time learning about a topic and already has their mind made up. That's some pretty closed minded/shallow thinking imo.

Basically they have nothing to lose and summin to gain in trying linux out. If they aren't willing to do that. Then save yourself the aggravation ... There's no cure for fools. Not saying they are. Just saying whoever you're talking about is acting that way. Older I get, the more I realize how pointless pointless battles are.

Life's too short and already comes with enough built-in headaches for me to go out of my way looking for more.
richnbernie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richnbernie »

For the few months I have been using Mint, I like it a lot but there are dual boot issues with Windows which may be why some do not like Linux.
Right now I am at the point of wanting to dual boot my girlfriends XP with Mint but looking at the threads on this, I see issues waiting for me. Most seem to indicate she will not be able to access her XP which she is comfortable with. I do not like using her XP as it is not as good as using Mint but she is happy with what XP does for her.
I do not have time to spend in the forums attempting to get XP and Mint to work correctly at boot time.
I hope somedy to find a Liunx version that will easily dual boot with XP. This may be a moot issue as she wants a new laptop with W7

rich
FACEBOOK, the privacy thief.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Well then you found such a version of linux. Is called linux mint, lol.

Dual booting XP + Mint 10 now ... with zero problems. Takes all of 3 google searches and at most an hr to figure it out. Also setting it up to boot into XP by default is more or less self explanatory. Didn't even have to look that up.

Gnome menu>control center> start-up manager. Select XP's partition, tell grub how many seconds to give you to select another OS at startup ... done. Which you could also set it to no delay and then hold down a key at bootup to tell grub you wanna select another OS too ( think it's esc, but not 100% sure which one it is. Have mine set up to give me 4secs to choose. Then boot into XP if I don't) . Not going to touch the how to XP + Mint, it's all over these forums and the net in general.

Windows 7, horse of a slightly diff color seems ... But not by any means impossible. Since so many people are doing it with lil effort.

(edit) That came out a lil harsher than intended, lol. Ummmm, just don't get these people with the. How do I change sounds ... etc, so forth. There's a menu button with a thing called control center in it. If I wanted to control summin.

I might click on that ... then if I saw summin marked sounds in the control center ... Might click on that as a good poss too. Hey what do ya know, you can control sounds in the control center sounds section !!! :D

Anyway ... actually meant to offer summin helpful.

In control center>startup manager ... you can also set grubs screen resolution. Would set that to be the same as the OS's you're booting into. Not that it'll necessarily hurt anything. Just reduces the number of times you'll see the screen colors blur up when booting into one of your partitions. Which after it finishes booting will be fine anyway.

Also as a precaution on older hardware I chose to format Mint main partition as ext3, instead of the newer ext4. Had read about people having issues with ext4 on older hardware. Cannot say if that's still the case or not. Went with ext3 just to be safe and Mints running fine.

OT: nah na na na na na. :D
Last edited by lmintnewb on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

To the OP...

When someone is in a Microsoft frame of mind....like your friend...it can be somewhat difficult to win them over.

Most Microsoft users are comfortable with Windows and therefore have no reason to change...even virus and spyware threats won't change their minds..
Lostwithaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lostwithaclue »

A friend of mine, not the one I started this thread about, had his new Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 on it die. In Iraq tech support is the buddy who can fix your computer. I offered him either Mint or Ubuntu a while ago but he decided to have other friends try to reinstall Windows. Two nights ago he was complaining about not being able to Skype his girlfriend. I felt sorry for him and told him since his computer was nothing more than a paperweight to let me have it for the night. After a few hours I was able to get him up and running with Isadora. He had a few more issues related to his wireless and soundcard so I kept it for another day, I gave it back to him today and now he is happy.
I wish it was the friend that inspired me to start this thread but at least I was able to help someone out.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”