Linux Mint Standard or LMDE?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint Standard or LMDE?

Post by ajt007 »

As of today DistroWatch’s page hit rankings has Julia listed in the #2 position among Linux Distributions. That spot is just 202 points
behind Ubuntu and 1328 points ahead of the next Ubuntu based distro. From the information I have read Linux Mint 10 Julia has 3 times more users than openSUSE or Fedora and 4 times more than Mandriva. Some sources say Julia is the 4th most widely used home PC operating systemin in the world behind Windows, Apple/Mac OS and Ubuntu. Linux Mint is perhaps the most user-friendly computer operating system.
That is certainly not just my opinion. By default after the install or while using Linux Mint as a live CD the immediate readiness makes it the best beginner’s operating system. As a home desktop user I like backing up my information and starting with a fresh installation of the latest release. All the versions that are available make Linux Mint appeal to a wide range of users but, just look at the published stats. The Gnome desktop “is” Links Mint. If I take all that and factor in the very friendly forums and all the assistance that is free and useful I have to admit I’m not sure that too much change is good for Linux Mint or it’s average user. Now if we add the collection of extremely talented Developers, forum Administers, Moderators and the user Community, no other computer operating system is even comes close. I have used Linux Mint since Bea. My second choice is Pardus. I keep both Mint and Pardus in a PC at all times. I have not used Ubuntu in years and don’t plan to. I have been using the LMDE since September of 2010. I’m attempting to talk myself into it but, it’s not the same. Is it possible to be based on Debian and still maintain the look and features as Julia? I will be using Julia or the standard release 11 until it becomes impossible to continue.
Acer Aspire Desktop PC - AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 5500+ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 350 HDD, DVDRW
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint Standard or LMDE?

Post by TBABill »

Is it possible to be based on Debian and still maintain the look and features as Julia?
Nope, or at least not right now. What you're looking for is all the Ubuntu, Debian and Mint tools to be wrapped up into one distro, yet not be based on Ubuntu. That's just not possible unless you use Julia. Removing Ubuntu from the middle also removes all the Ubuntu changes to the distro that they make after taking a snapshot of Debian. So by removing Ubuntu you also remove the Ubuntu tools. Adding them in would be a waste because then you'd just have Mint back the way it is in Julia with a few different packages that are in Debian but not in Ubuntu (or the other way around).

IMHO it would be great to have additional tools to make LMDE easier to auto-configure proprietary drivers and other settings, but built as a Mint tool. That would/will require additional dev work, which I'm not sure they have resources to cover with Ikey's departure from development, but the desire remains from the Mint user base along with a hope to one day see it become a reality.

I always feel like LMDE has the look of Julia, just without the Ubuntu tools beneath it to make configuration as automagic as Julia. However, if one can read the Debian wiki and find support for their hardware, then configuration is usually fairly simple. It's just not as simplified as in Ubuntu/Mint.
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint Standard or LMDE?

Post by ajt007 »

Hi and thanks for the answers. I have LMDE to a point I am happy with the exception of the nvidia video driver. Without it things are a bit slower. That is OK. The screen does not look the way I have become accustomed to. I have tried every suggestion posted on the Mint forums along with Ubuntu, Debian, Google and all the other sources including Nvidia. From what I have been reading I'm not alone. If someone could come up with a step by step guide, a large number of us users would be very happy. I don't want to stop using Mint because of a driver. I have installed LMDE and removed it dozens of times. Including the 2 to 3 hour broken package deal. I have checked Ikey's notes daily until Clem's announcement. I have used Linux for many years and can't believe I can not find a way to fix it. My package manager list the current nvidia driver. 260.19.06 along with the server-xorg-video noveau and nv. In the past my methods appear to blow up at x-config point. This is after I try to set the resolution and get the " you appear not to have a nvidia driver installed". I should be able to do this but, I can't. That is the only item preventing me from using LMDE. Thanks again.

PS Just to make sure I just installed one of the Slackware based distros in another desktop and didn't have a problem installing the correct driver. In the past I have not had a problem with Mandriva, BSD, Pardus or any other system that is not Debian based. All of my PCs are AMD 64 BIT.
Acer Aspire Desktop PC - AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 5500+ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 350 HDD, DVDRW

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”