Mint Overtakes Ubuntu for #1 spot

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Mint Overtakes Ubuntu for #1 spot

Postby Zero Prime » Tue May 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Finally, in the last 7 days, Mint is #1 on Distrowatch.con :)
Attachments
snapshot1.png
snapshot1.png (415.26 KiB) Viewed 4075 times

thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint Overtakes Ubuntu for #1 spot

Postby thouartsimple » Tue May 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Amazing =D Let's go Mint!!
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Postby z06gal » Tue May 10, 2011 7:22 pm

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO CLEM!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Postby nunol » Wed May 11, 2011 5:54 am

I am more surprised that Mint is catching up with Ubuntu on the 3 and 6 months data span.

Seano
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Seano » Wed May 11, 2011 6:04 am

That's quite an amazing performance. I had a look yesterday at around lunchtime in GMT+7 land, which is how I ended up here on this forum. I didn't write down the figures, but noticed that Mint had finally broken the 2,000 barrier, and was around 2,200 to Ubuntu 2,500 around 30 hours ago.

Not meaning to boast at all, but somebody I know picked the right day to change distros, didn't he? :wink:
Linux wasn't meant to be easy.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Postby lmintnewb » Wed May 11, 2011 7:20 am

lol ... good. For x amount of reasons I dislike buntu. Every experience I've had with their stuff has been bad. Heard people say Mint is ubuntu done right. Having a few issues on my sys I think are buntu related. Tired of it ... don't like that my OS is based on buntu.

So in the process of dl'ing lmde right now. Wasn't planning on taking the plunge into it this soon. But a growing dislike for all things buntu has forced my hand !

Way 2 go Mint ... Think the software you guys produce in the magic mint factory is great.

:D

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Reorx » Sat May 14, 2011 10:35 pm

The gap (7 day) is widening... :D

top10_4-15-2011.png
top10_4-15-2011.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 3876 times

exploder
Level 14
Level 14

Postby exploder » Sat May 14, 2011 10:51 pm

Mint stands to hold on to that number one spot for a while this time. Clem built what people wanted. :D

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Postby dawgdoc » Sat May 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Mint has done this in the past, this is not the first time it has occurred. It has happened during the first week of a new Mint release at least twice before.

But it is great to see each time it happens.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Postby tdockery97 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:03 pm

One difference this time is that not only is there a new Mint release, but there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the Ubuntu 11.04 release. Ubuntu may end up ahead again over time, but the margin will no longer be as wide.

Fandangio
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fandangio » Sun May 15, 2011 1:01 am

I'm looking forward to the press and reviews LM11 gets when released, it stands to make even more headway over Ubuntu.
Let's hope it is as well received as it deserves to be :)
AMD Phenom (tm) II x4 965 | 4GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GTS 450 4GB DDR3 | ASUS M4A88T-M

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MALsPa » Sun May 15, 2011 1:13 am

I really don't pay much attention to the 7-day data span. Ubuntu's still #1 over 30 days.

Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Dr.m0x » Mon May 16, 2011 1:21 am

Just remember that Mint enjoys its popularity, to a large extent, because it's based off ubuntu.

Ubuntu and Debian have the best software repos out there with the exception that ubuntu is more up to date and debian is more stable.

If mint were had an inferior base, like ahem fedora, its popularity would be a lot less.

Just saying we should view ourselves as being in cooperation with ubuntu, not competition. :)

---
Sent from my Leedroid Gingerbread love machine.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Postby lmintnewb » Wed May 18, 2011 10:48 am

Like ya Dr ... but have to disagree. ( well in part anyway )

Think Mint enjoys it's popularity. Cause the Magic Minty developers and people behind this version of linux are darn good at what they do and very tech talented folks. Plus the guy who started it hails from Ireland. Which in my bk increases the cool factor and standing of Linux Mint in general. :D

Anyone who's tried plain buntu and Mint. Unless they like pain will choose Linux Mint, lol. Here's how things pan out in my linux newbish view.

Debian - *ubuntu - Mint ( teetering on the top of this heap. While making ubuntu soooo much better than it is alone.)

Hoping to see it look like this in the not so distant future.

*Debian - Mint ( Working the same wonders on Debian directly as it does with buntu and becoming an incredible linux distro in it's own right. Putting plain buntu to even more shame than it already does, lol.)

With buntu sitting over in a corner looking on resentfully while people who just don't know any better keep using it. And anyone who's tried both firmly concluding they'll never use anything pure buntu ever again. :D

So they are in competition imo. It's just that Mint isn't getting the recognition it's due. Even though it's a ton better than ubuntu by itself. Just an ignorant newbish opinion, but personally think Mint's continued assoc with ubuntu is hurting it's standing. People hear Mint they think ubuntu. Probably almost thinking of Mint as a specialty edition of ubuntu.

While the reverse isn't true. Well except for the people who know how much better Mint is. But those are more than likely already Mint users anyway.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MALsPa » Wed May 18, 2011 11:22 am

lmintnewb wrote:Anyone who's tried plain buntu and Mint. Unless they like pain will choose Linux Mint, lol.

Not necessarily.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Postby lmintnewb » Wed May 18, 2011 12:22 pm

That's just been my experience. Only tried 2 buntu releases and Mint 10 ( 32 bit ). Both times with buntu strongly disliked it. I mean yeah, perfectly usable ... Just sadly lacking compared to other linux distro's I'm running.

Sure people could use and even enjoy buntu. Esp after a lifetime of M$, lol. Though based on my experiences. Will never have anything buntu or for that matter even based on buntu, installed on one of my comps.

Even though Mint 10, was night and day better than buntu 10.10 imo. Had to jettison it. Cause I've just grown a healthy dislike for ubuntu at this point. :D

Sheesh, tiny lil distro I'm typing this on makes the buntu stuff I've tried look like a lead footed pig dog by comparison. Bloated, confusing layouts ... sys resource hog and had other issues. Oh well, guess linux has no shortage of choices and options for folks.

I choose, ... nothing buntu. :D lol ... in other words U buntu if ya want to ... I don't.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MALsPa » Wed May 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Oh, well, not everyone's experiences are the same, obviously.

I've been using Ubuntu since Dapper and Mint since Daryna, but sticking mostly with LTS releases. My most recent installations of each were Lucid and Isadora. I don't see any real advantage in running Mint instead of Ubuntu; both have been easy to install and set up, both have been problem-free. Maybe my opinion will change with the next LTS releases, but that's how things look here at this point.

thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Postby thouartsimple » Wed May 18, 2011 12:49 pm

MALsPa wrote:Oh, well, not everyone's experiences are the same, obviously.

I've been using Ubuntu since Dapper and Mint since Daryna, but sticking mostly with LTS releases. My most recent installations of each were Lucid and Isadora. I don't see any real advantage in running Mint instead of Ubuntu; both have been easy to install and set up, both have been problem-free. Maybe my opinion will change with the next LTS releases, but that's how things look here at this point.

Yeah, I've never had a real problem with Ubuntu, but I just prefer Mint and other distros (PCLinuxOS) over it.
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)

kgarbutt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kgarbutt » Wed May 18, 2011 12:58 pm

It is because of all the people who don't like unity.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby MALsPa » Wed May 18, 2011 11:45 pm

I haven't seen Unity yet, except for screen shots. I probably won't try it here until the next Ubuntu LTS, and I'm hoping that by then Unity is something that I'll be okay with. More importantly, I want to be able to simply switch over to GNOME if I don't like Unity, and to be able to install something like Openbox. If I can still do those things then I'll probably be okay with the next Ubuntu LTS even if I don't like Unity.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”