Mint Overtakes Ubuntu for #1 spot

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Nightstrike2009
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Overtakes Ubuntu for #1 spot

Post by Nightstrike2009 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:58 am

Way to go Clem,
keep up the good work Iam yet another ex-ubuntu user, the rot has well and truely set in over on the Ubuntu camp, this is only my opinion but I hope Linux mint considers dumping Ubuntu for Debians base in time. Debian should be easier to use has it doesn't contain the "Unity" farce.

That aside iam Linux Mint through and through now its nice to have a distro that listens to its users input rather than charging around like a crazed bull trying to convince its uses that its latest "Frankenstiens Monster" project is the best thing in the world before they kill it an start again with another mad idea on the next version. :lol:
Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) User

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Thu May 19, 2011 6:24 am

Mint has been #1 in 7-day for quite some time now. It's #2 in the other stats, but that's because Ubuntu got very popular for some days after the Natty release. When April 28 is not in the last 30 days anymore, the 30 day stats will show the truth about Mint usage.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri » Thu May 19, 2011 8:59 am

AlbertP wrote:...the 30 day stats will show the truth about Mint usage.
... will show the truth about page clicks per day on Distrowatch. :wink:

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Thu May 19, 2011 10:31 am

proxima_centauri wrote:
AlbertP wrote:...the 30 day stats will show the truth about Mint usage.
... will show the truth about page clicks per day on Distrowatch. :wink:
Yep! And nothing else, really.

recluce
Level 1
Level 1

Post by recluce » Fri May 20, 2011 2:57 am

MALsPa wrote:I haven't seen Unity yet, except for screen shots. I probably won't try it here until the next Ubuntu LTS, and I'm hoping that by then Unity is something that I'll be okay with. More importantly, I want to be able to simply switch over to GNOME if I don't like Unity, and to be able to install something like Openbox. If I can still do those things then I'll probably be okay with the next Ubuntu LTS even if I don't like Unity.
Beginning with Ubuntu 11.10, GNOME2 will be gone. So you may not have that option in the next Ubuntu LTS.

I am currently very happy with Ubuntu 10.04 and sort of sitting on the side-lines. But if things continue to develop as they currently are, my next installation, while again a LTS version, will be Mint instead of Ubuntu.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Fri May 20, 2011 1:02 pm

recluce wrote:Beginning with Ubuntu 11.10, GNOME2 will be gone. So you may not have that option in the next Ubuntu LTS.
Wow, didn't realize that.
recluce wrote:I am currently very happy with Ubuntu 10.04 and sort of sitting on the side-lines. But if things continue to develop as they currently are, my next installation, while again a LTS version, will be Mint instead of Ubuntu.
The default DE isn't really a determining factor anymore for me -- I wasn't even using GNOME anymore in Mint Isadora -- but, yeah, I'm waiting to see how this all plays out, like a lot of other people.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Thu May 26, 2011 12:26 pm

In the 7-day, Mint is now 2nd behind Fedora. Ubuntu is #3.

demilord
Level 1
Level 1

Post by demilord » Thu May 26, 2011 2:33 pm

Yup for me too.. Mint is just more polished and works more faster and easier.. idk, but at me it's really faster idk if they added tweaks to it...

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol » Thu May 26, 2011 8:40 pm

With Fedora 15 and Mint 11 releases so close it's going to a nice race for H.P.D.

jasonsjunk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jasonsjunk » Thu May 26, 2011 10:07 pm

It's impressive that Mint has come so far. I have been a long time Ubuntu user and I still like the distro. I run 10.04 on my main server and it has never given me any issues. However I did upgrade to 11.04 on my main desktop and that was where the issues started. Damn Unity caused all sorts of issues. I honestly gave it a try for a week but I really didn't like the interface. So I decided to install Mint and I am very pleased with how smooth it runs and the Menu at the bottom is quick and allows me to open thing quickly without having to go through too many layers. So for now Mint and Ubuntu will live happily in my house but someday the server is going to need an update, who knows maybe I'll be an all Mint household.

Anyways to the devs I would have to say awesome job keep up the incredible work!

RedLeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RedLeg » Thu May 26, 2011 10:52 pm

The best think for the Ubuntu team is Linux Mint and vice versa. Between the rise of tablets, Unity, and Fedora 15 using GNOME Shell, I think the community as a whole is going to see some major changes and it is going to take a lot of getting used too. Some may not like to hear this, but I think there is a lot to acknowledge behind the bold step Canonical took with Unity because it is getting people talking about how computing can be better and what the values of the status quo.

Try using Unity in Mint. Try GNOME Shell in Mint. See what the fuss is about. See how it can be improved. See what these new interfaces implicated for the Mint community and the desktop in general. GNOME 2.32 is one of the best DEs of all time, IMHO, but that does not mean our tastes should stagnate. There is always more room for elegance. :wink:
Forsooth! Do you grok my jive, me hearties? Ten-four!

georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgegerm » Tue May 31, 2011 10:57 pm

giving ubu all the respect it deserves. i restate unity should have been a separate project call it whatever then unity one. ubu has made a lot of people aware of linux. much more than any other distro. it has been a fine ride with ubu and still is on 10. i hope mint has learned not to make the same mistake. make a flavor but stick to your best seller. mint as it is, is right now its just right for everyone to use. need eye candy and usefullness get avant or docky. but to not push it down as a out of the box. i think some changes for mint would be nice. but i can do those myself. i also think the cycle is too short. ie 6 months. to be honest i am scared of what gnome 3 will try to do next. i say fix the bugs. give it more time. let the good wine get some air before you drink it.
mint 10 is just great the packs except for libre and firefox 4 are all there. and the forementioned can be used with a bit of work. i wish it was an LTS.
mint developers do hear and respond. example rhymtbox is stil there why it is solid and good. it could be better for sure but it stands alone for me above the newer fancy versions.
you guys have to be proud of being number one. hell even if you are number 100 you should be.
masterfull piece of work.
i am a firm believer a desktop is a matter of choice and it starts with not bare bones but with simple, good, solid usage and this mint does better than all.
and yes i use docky. but i would not want it preinstalled.
super work.
donate, and spread the word the king is dead long live the king!
viva el minto REVOLUTION!!!!!

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Tue May 31, 2011 11:13 pm

Out of curiosity I just checked the Distrowatch numbers

7 Day listing
  • Fedora 3795 (down)
    Mint 3066 (up)
    Ubuntu 1872 (down
30 day listing
  • Mint 2703 (down)
    Ubuntu 2268 (down)
    Fedora 47 (up)

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:26 am

You can also use the next LTS of Mint, v13 which will be out in a year or so. I don't think Clem will ever force the Mint users to Unity, and that's exactly what Ubuntu does: the fallback mode of Ubuntu 11.10 will be Unity 2D and not plain Gnome.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:05 am

dawgdoc wrote:Out of curiosity I just checked the Distrowatch numbers

7 Day listing
  • Fedora 3795 (down)
    Mint 3066 (up)
    Ubuntu 1872 (down
30 day listing
  • Mint 2703 (down)
    Ubuntu 2268 (down)
    Fedora 47 (up)
Take a look at the 3 months data span, it shows Mint gaining on Ubuntu:
3 months listing
  • Ubuntu 2562 (down)
    Mint 2504 (up)
    Fedora 1800 (up)
All Mint needs to make sure it get's number one on these three listings it's a Mint release (KDE, LMDE, etc) or a review/news_article on Distrowatch in the next weeks. It just shows that this ranking means very little...

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 pm

Ubuntu 11.10 Alfa 1 is out: http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06712

Let's see how that influences the stats.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:33 pm

7 day and last month: Mint #1, Fedora #2, Ubuntu #3.
Last 3/6/12 months: Ubuntu #1, Mint #2, Fedora #3.

This sounds promising. The interest in Ubuntu had a peak between 1 and 3 months ago (with Natty's release), but now Mint is at the top.
And we didn't even have a big change like Ubuntu!

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:57 pm

AlbertP wrote:I don't think Clem will ever force the Mint users to Unity, and that's exactly what Ubuntu does: the fallback mode of Ubuntu 11.10 will be Unity 2D and not plain Gnome.
From Clem's posting of Mint's monthly stats:
After this, we’ll be testing different scenarios and considering our options for the future, whether we want to switch to Gnome 3, how ready it is and what can be achieved with it. Many options are there for us, including forking Gnome 2 or even Gnome 3 and it’s too early to say what will happen next. But we have 6 months to decide and as always, we’re quite determined to come with something that’s better than before. We like our desktop the way it is, and comes Linux Mint 12, we’ll be looking to bring you something either as good or better than what we already have. It’s a hard promise to make considering the drastic changes occurring upstream, but this is what we’re aiming for and so we’ll be looking into the most efficient ways to implement our desktop and to reach our goals.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

bedo2991
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bedo2991 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:10 am

lmintnewb wrote: Anyone who's tried plain buntu and Mint. Unless they like pain will choose Linux Mint, lol. Here's how things pan out in my linux newbish view.
The only reason why people should not use Mint is they don't like green. :lol:

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:56 am

There's another important reason. People often don't want to change if Ubuntu works for them.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”