Few thoughts and questions after try Mint...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Few thoughts and questions after try Mint...

Post by Sorensei »

Hi,

Glad you like our favorite distro... welcome to the Mint community!
I'll try to answer a few of your questions:
  • A fresh install is the surest way for now, but usually Clem will give upgrade instructions for those who don't want to re-install. You'll need to follow them closely though, as it may be a bit tricky.
  • I also prefer KDE, and Boo is doing his best to deliver a great edition. Porting MintApps takes time, and I'm eagerly awaiting the final KDE Daryna too... Same can be said for XFCE.
  • Technically you can try... but you need to keep in mind that we have a "double mutation" from Debian, first to Ubuntu then to Mint, so if some packages will work, you also stand a good chance of breaking something. I'd advise looking in the Mint or Ubuntu repos first, and then installing from Debian at your own risk...
Hoping this helps! :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:The current version of Mint is compatible with Debian repositories?
NEVER DO THAT! :twisted:

See the scorp123 posts for example here and here for some explanations:
you already messed with it and inserted Debian apt sources ... which is begging for problems. Debian, Ubuntu and Mint are different operating systems. Or to use a different analogy: both diesel and gasoline are used as fuel in car engines, the principle is even similar (fuel burns, produces gas ... motor moves car), and yet you can't fill gasoline into a diesel-powered car and diesel into a gasoline-powered car. If you do that your only achievement will be a horribly high bill from the mechanic who had to fix your ruined car. Same here.
Why oh why? Debian "Etch" is an entirely different distro with totally different version numbers and library versions. You don't fill gasoline into a vehicle with a diesel engine, right? And you don't fill diesel into a vehicle with a gasoline engine, right?
Never do that!! You cannot do "distro mixes" like that. Just because Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian, doesn't mean that you can deliberately mix packages and repo sources.
And also nick post:
You originally had the Debian repos enabled, therefore packages were installed that are totally incompatible with the Ubuntu system.
P.S= If you had searched on the forum, you would have found the answer in 2 minutes like me. Please search before posting, it will prevent we would answer '25 times' to the same questions. No flame here just a request. :D Thank you.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Hi,

We should have the Daryna KDE edition soon enough... perhaps even this week. See Husse's comment:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 529#p47529
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

de nada... I'm eagerly waiting for it too...
molom

Post by molom »

VaMPiRiC_CRoW wrote:Hi,

2. Can you put the same effort for XFCE and KDE Editions? A lot of people prefer these over Gnome, so I think that you will win a lot of new users...
I think my poll can clarify whether it's true that ( http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=7483 ) ;). Seems like KDE and Gnome are very even, but I bet gnome would be the most preferred if everyone voted. Seems like the only distros worth making for now are the gnome, KDE, XFCE and e17 distros. Found it funny and odd that no one voted for the Box environments.

Cheers,
molom
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Post by yamawho »

Gnome is what made me take notice of this distro.
I have always used KDE is the past.
I am a Mepis 6.5 user since it was released.
While I was waiting for Mepis 7 to go final, I decided to try a Mint install ... glad I did.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”