Back to the Best (Linux Mint 9)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
cra1g321
Level 4
Level 4

Back to the Best (Linux Mint 9)

Post by cra1g321 »

A couple of days ago I needed to get a file off my hard drive but the OS the file was in was no longer available. So i looked around for a liveCD of something and found Ubuntu 10.04 LTS that i was sent to from Canonical back when they used to send free CD's to people,
Got the LiveCD loaded up and well I was shocked to find that 10.04 was actually running faster/smoother off the CD than 10.10 with unity(installed to hard drive) had been for me !!
By faster I'm refer to browsing using nautilus and just using the OS for general/everyday tasks that i usually do.
This was a bit of a eye-opener because when I installed a new version of Linux Mint or Ubuntu I had that impression i was installing a newer, faster, better, less buggy etc OS.

I recently had Ubuntu 10.10 on my computer and i must say it is better than what it was when it was first released but damn it is no wear near as good as the 10.04.
I don't even think its a coincidence that my favourite Linux Mint version is Linux Mint 9 which is based on 10.04 LTS.

Now I know most people reading this are saying to their monitors that the reason why everything is smoother and less-buggy is due to 10.10 being the latest and contains the latest features/software and LTS is designed to be stable/reliable and has been out a lot longer than 10.10 so there's more updates for bugs and errors but even a fresh install (no updates) of ubuntu 10.04 / Linux Mint 9 feels smoother, faster and overall easier to use.

I'm honestly disappointed with Ubuntu 10.10 and it's not hard to see that LM10 has sadly been affected by Ubuntu due to being based on it, i really can't see me returning to Ubuntu any time soon, too many decisions/changes have been which i dont agree with and because I like my OS to be stable/reliable.
Linux Mint will also remain my favourite mainstream distro and it is all down the Linux Mint 9 and the LM community.

Anyway I'm now on Linux Mint 9 and it's just a great OS to use and also reminds of when it first was released and how everyone was talking about how this small, less-known derivative was so much better and less buggy to use than the distro it's based on. (which IMO still remains the case today) :lol:
I think Linux Mint 9 was really the version that made Linux Mint what it is today.

Anyway I'm off to hunt down some PPA's for the software i like to be running the latest of (web browser etc) please reply if you agree/disagree, running Linux Mint 9 or remember the days of using Linux Mint 8/9 :)
PC - Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970 , AMD Bulldozer FX-4 4170, Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1600MHz C9, Zotac Geforce 8800GT AMP Edition, OS's = Linux / WIN7

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Back to the Best (Linux Mint 9)

Post by dawgdoc »

I have LMDE and LM9 on the laptop I am using at the moment. On it I primarily use the LMDE install.

At home I have a desktop running LM 9 and LMDE. On this desktop I use LM9 almost exclusively. It is not connected to the internet but I have found it possible to update programs if new version come available, update packages which have security fixes issued, add additional programs from the repositories, and add programs from PPAs. Of course the laptop proves indispensible in doing this. In fact LM9 has worked so well on the desktop that I have not booted into LMDE enough to configure it to my liking.

I doubt I will change my setups anytime prior to that point in time at which LM9 is no longer supported. Actually, with a little further thought, if I do not like Gnome3 once it is incorporated into LMDE, I may change to Xfce as my LMDE desktop.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I have both LMDX and Mint-9 Fluxbox.

Since, Mint-9 is the current LTS (long-term support) it is extremely stable, and still supported for another 2 years.

Mint-9 Fluxbox is light on resources and very fast.
People will say that Mint-9 is an old release, and they should upgrade to a newer version.
I beg to differ ... I have updated and upgraded everything, in my Mint-9 Fluxbox install; the kernel is 2.6.39 and I'm using Firefox-7.0a2
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Yes, I love Mint 9 as well!

I put it on my parent's computer, because it's stable AND easy to use. Heck, now my mom won't touch Windows. LOL

On my laptop, I use LMDE XFCE. Man, and with this new concept of Update Packs, I think I just might stay with Linux Mint distros on both computers!

The Mint dev team is amazing!! :)

mintmaniac2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mintmaniac2 »

On my desktop, I've got Ubuntu 11.04, because i wanted to try Unity, and have Fedora 15 on her as well, but on my parents machine, it has Windows, and LM9, as it's easy to support.
Have had problems with our printer, but apart form that, it works like a charm (might need to clean it up now and again, though - all that cruft they manage to get on there :D )

I settled with LM9 for them after trying Ubuntu 8.04, Kubuntu 10.04, and a few other Mint versions. The good old days of Mint (we even had that old mint 7 release with the Dew wallpaper)

Mint 9 is like the WIndows XP of the Linux world
sudo apt-get purge win7 && sudo apt-get install Freedom
You're currently going through a difficult transition period called "Life."

oysterboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oysterboy »

Agree that Mint 9 is rock solid and the way to go if you value stability. You can always add some ppas if you want the latest version of a program (I did so for gThumb). I used Julia for quite a while (good experience all in all), tried Katya for a week (horrible experience - gave up on it because of way too many bugs, the most annoying one being the random logout...). In the end I settled on the LTS version, and I am now 100% satisfied. Looking forward to the next LTS :) .

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Have to say I agree with this thread. Ubuntu 10.04 is an awesome release and it's stable, fast and reliable. I like LMDE and keep it installed but I have found myself trying others on separate partitions and always coming back to Ubuntu 10.04 or a derivative (Mint 9 or Ultimate Edition 2.6 or 2.7). All of them are awesome and simply adding Ubuntu Tweak makes keeping them current with applications simple.

Debian 6 is equally as rock solid, obviously because 10.04 was based on it when it was in the Debian Testing repo. I like what Ubuntu does with fonts, apps and a few other things, but all these are wonderful releases. For some people, hardware pushed them to more current releases where they found better system performance, but it's interesting how many people post regularly about how great 10.04 still is versus newer releases of not only Ubuntu based distros, but other distros as well. It's not really fair to compare Ubuntu to Fluxbox or LXDE releases in terms of speed, but on a Gnome-for-Gnome basis I still feel like 10.04 is fastest and my machine is only a year old Intel Core i3 system.

Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Dr.m0x »

I run mint 9 lxde on my netbook. It's my ever reliable backup computer if something gets borked on my main laptop running lmde.

The netbook will stay on mint 9 until mint 13 lxde gets released. As it's rock solid stable and fast I see no reason to mess with it, apart from some ppa for updated apps.

Sent from my Cyanogenmod 7 phone.

Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Count me as a big fan of LM9 32 bit (Gnome) as well... I have it on 5 laptops in my world and I just love it... one is a netbook that I bought 2 years ago as a testbed for my first Linux experience... it was running LM7 and I somehow damaged it... I overwrote it with a fresh install of LM9 and haven't looked back... Like most here, I really love it for its stability and long lifespan... I have also had good luck with performance on modest hardware (by Win standards)... I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the next LTS version - LM13 in about a year... hope it is as good as LM9... :D

Safe Minting...

- R -
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

I have to agree as well that Mint 9 is, at least for me, better than the latter incarnations (10 & 11). The upgrade itch was tempting, so I installed Mint 10/11 on a spare laptop to test the waters. Some of the improved usability was fine -- new looks, new wallpapers, newer themes and icons (especially liked the Metal look and Faenza icons, by the way), updated application set and what not. What I didn't like, though, were the unacceptable regressions and missing packages with the updated versions. Bluetooth was half-baked, and I had to install some obscure package just to make it working again. Samba was broke (not sure if it was in 10 or 11 but it's broke nevertheless). To top it off, remastering the customizations and fixes seemed to result in a broken remaster.

Granted that these problems were upstream and/or third-party issues and may/may not get fixed later. But I had to make a decision and it was a no-brainer: went back to Mint 9, and installed the Mint-X theme & Faenza icons just for that "updated" look.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

sjonesy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sjonesy »

agree.
Ive playe dwith 10 and 11 and keep coming back to 9, flux,xfce, just works better.

Robin

Post by Robin »

*raising hand* Me too! I much prefer the Ubuntu-LTS-based versions to the Debian-based ones, even though I'm sure that to many other Minters, saying so is blasphemy! IMO the Ubuntu-based ones are not only easier to install, set up, and configure, but better looking, better behaved, and easier to fix when something breaks.

Neverthe less at the risk of dodging arrows based on "Ubuntu-hatred," I have to say that Mint 9 Xfce has been the finest, simplest, easiest to use, and most trouble-free Linux distro it has ever been my pleasure to enjoy.

I've had a chance to experiment with a few other distros (limited choice of others because of the age and modest resources of this old hand-me-down 'puter), but on this hardware at least, not even AntiX ran as effortlessly and quickly as Xubuntu Lucid or Mint Xfce 9. Now that Mint's Xfce edition has switched to a Debian base rather than a Xubu base, I reckon I'll be sticking with Xubu LTS editions from now on... probably even if I get better hardware!

It's a good thing I'm a dancer. :P I'm going to need that speed and agility now that I have dared to say I like Ubuntu LTS better than Debian!

-Robin

sjonesy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sjonesy »

my experience with debian and anything debian based has been up and down, although one of my et servers is debian lenny. in the mint side, its just been a pain in the ass to maintain, things break more often and given my penchant for tinkering, that isnt a good thing.

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Mint 9 was/is an excellent choice for those who want long-term support and security updates. That goes for Debian Stable, as well. Oftentimes, reliability and stability are more important than the latest whiz-bang eye-candy.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

cra1g321, there is nothing wrong at all with your choice. Benchmarks have shown that each new Ubuntu release has had slower performance and the LTS release is very close to the Debian stable release. The most important thing is that you are happy with how your computer is running and you seem very happy with your choice. There are quite a few people here that prefer the LTS releases because they rely on things consistently working, so you are not alone. Bleeding edge technology does not always make for a stable system and the LTS releases are very refined at this point in time. I am just glad you got things running the way you want them to! :D

Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

I should note that Mint 9 was easily my favorite edition to work on thus far.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Keep in mind that my opinion is probably based only on performance on my particular hardware. I just downloaded and tried Mint 9 LXDE last night, and for me it is less user friendly and stable than the Mint 11 LXDE that I am currently using. Of course I haven't had the myriad issues with the new LXDE that other users have had. Like I said, must be the hardware. Maybe in a few days I'll go back and retry the Mint 9 Gnome or KDE and see how those compare. I do like the fact that the LTS will be supported 6 months longer than Mint 11.
Mint Cinnamon 20

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

OK, downloaded Mint 9 Gnome again to give it a spin. Got it installed and updated (BUNCH of updates). I have to say, I've never seen Google Earth snap open as fast as it does under Mint 9. All the other functions do, indeed, feel much quicker. The only issue I had was with suspend, even though swap was recognized and the resume file had the right partition identified. Thinking maybe it was kernel-related, I followed Kendall's "How to: Upgrade kernel painlessly" thread and updated to the same kernel as the stock Mint 11 (2.26.38-8) and suspend now works. Think I'll keep this one now as it will "outlive" Mint 11 for support.
Mint Cinnamon 20

keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

I have tried many distributions, and have found that the best is definitely Mint9XFCE with Mint9Gnome second best.

I don't like the Debian versions at all, finding them unreliable.

To me, the Debian version of MintXFCE isn't nearly as good as Mint9XFCE.

I am greatly indebted to Merlwiz for the fantastic job he did, and will keep on using it as long as possible.

By the way, Merlwiz seems to have 'disappeared'. Does any one know what has happened to him?

Cheers.

Keith.

vance88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vance88 »

I am very new in the Linux world but have tried loading and using several.
Mint 9 is in my opinion the best I have found so far.
It will load on any of my old machines, it crawls right alongside xp without a hitch and with the exception of and I (warn) against loading (Kleansweep) unless you know much more than the average user.
The only Mint version with support for a long enough time to be of real value to this old windows user, I love it.
The new releases though impressive have outrun my hardware and no doubt that of millions of potential users.
I hope that the developers don't leave us poor people in the dust by making our grahpics cards and cd/dvd limitations send us running back to the old XP drawer.
As a user that had never known anything but XP, I find Isadora a refreshing and simple OS, not to mention the fact that I downloaded it for free and it just plain works.
Thank you for posting this subject, I have been looking for a way to beg the community to keep an active, supported and stable version for our old gear.

@vance88

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”