why is linux always so pathetically slow?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Re: why is linux always so pathetically slow?

Post by GoustiFruit »

AdamS wrote: real protection requires the use of a good decent UPS (uninterpretable power source) with a decent surge protector to protect against them 10,000 and 20,000 volt surges that are extremely rare.
Reminds me of Fukushima: "yeap, we are ready for everything !"

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Wow - our new friend on this forum is getting a good response from his/her first post!!

Personally, I disagree with the view expressed in the original post, on the basis of some years' experience with many distros - using them for work too, not just experimenting and playing around.

What I will say is that when I first used Linux (in the middle of the last decade) the boot times could be dreadful. In 2006 I was using SUSE 10.2 - all that I disliked about it was that it took the better part of two minutes, from pressing the 'on' button, to reaching a working desktop. This was a real problem in the days when I dual booted. Now, distros like Mint boot in a fraction of this time.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

To the OP, I'd say if your machine runs any Linux distro slowly then it's quite possibly just not meant to be. There's nothing wrong with using anything you want. It's your machine and your sanity you have to deal with in the end. If mine were slow I certainly wouldn't be here. I'd go to whatever did the job best.

If you really want to look into the speed issue I'd start with hardware and disconnect anything you don't count on and start one by one reattaching hardware if you find it speeds it up to be running a fairly bare system. Before disconnecting anything, though, make sure you have proprietary video drivers and a piece of equipment that's fairly well supported. There are odd components that are not well supported and can negatively impact performance.

Lastly, I'd try a couple distros that install all proprietary hardware drivers for you. PCLinuxOS is probably the most friendly of all of them, but Sabayon and others do as well. That way you have a fully installed OS and don't have to manually do anything to start testing the machine and see if it responds well.

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 »

fraxinus_63 wrote:Wow - our new friend on this forum is getting a good response from his/her first post!! ...
Maybe the magic part is that it's the first post?

I've had no luck here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=79129

:(

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

Only just caught this thread - very interesting. I especially love the way that us (I'll include myself in that group) Linux users are so willing to criticise and fight each other when there is a whole world of MS and Apple out there that we could be taking the war to. Anybody here ever watched Monty Python's "Life of Brian";-
Brian: Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front?
Reg: rainbows off! We're the People's Front of Judea.
Now, my defence;-
The first post probably was a troll. I base that on the fact that they have not posted a reply to the thread, or indeed another post anywhere on the forums. However they don't deserve the level of reaction they've managed to achieve. To be honest they are probably logging on from time-to-time and chuckling at the "Linux Losers" or whatever term they use for us in their mind.
I don't believe for a minute that they have had problems with Linux running sluggish on 'many distros', 'many times', 'many systems' - unless they just expect to install the OOTB system and not do anything else such as updates, proprietary drivers and the likes. The worst problems I have had with Linux have been in the last few months when I have been installing it on modern laptops because Linux simply doesn't have the drivers available for the hardware without me putting in some serious work. A lot of users won't want to put that in - they expect it to just work, which is more likely with a MS system.
I have not had any real problems with XP SP3 or Win 7. Other Windows versions are a different story. The only real problems I've had with those two have been caused by virii or malware - not exactly Bill Gates' fault. I've also, due to moving into a new job, had to wipe all my Linux partitions as I only have the one laptop and two drives, both of which I need for Windows apps, SBS 2011 testing etc, and Win 7 seems to be pretty much rock-solid for me right now (maybe because I know what I'm doing with it).
I think that if Linux is to make a major impact on the desktop market then it needs to get its act together. I genuinely don't see much changing while there are 500 different distros and 10 different DEs. (slight exaggeration maybe, but not by much). It is all far too confusing for the average person in the street. Much as I love Linux, I don't sit here with rose-tinted glasses. I would love to see Linux improve its share and publicity, but I don't see it happening any time soon, especially while we keep arguing among ourselves over petty, pointless things.

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

A guy with one post to his name comes in here a trolling away, maybe the engine in your trolling boat is too small to allow you to troll fast enough. A pathetically slow trolling boat running on windoze bloat ware. Wheres my troll spray? :x
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak »

Been having fun reading the posts. Yep Linux has to be bad, about 72hrs ago my cousin came over with an used Dell 3000 laptop he picked up for his daughter from somewhere, he said he decided to bring it over to me to see what I could do with it after trying to put XP back in it and trying to find the Dell drivers so it would connect to the internet even his computer geek friend he knows looked at it and said it probably had the wrong kind of RAM in it for he couldn't get it going ether.

Well I when into the BIO's so I could get an idea of what it was I had to work with. Downloaded Mint 10, burned it to DVD and installed it all in less that an hour. Found that it didn't have WIFI so I pulled the USB WIFI out of the computer in the living room and plug it in. (all it have was Ethernet and a phone modem.) handed it to him and let him play with it for 15min, first thing he asked me is if that was all I had to do. :lol:

After he played with it for awhile he put it back in the bag and said he had to go, I told him to have her call if she need any help. He asked me to email my wallpaper slideshow script to him and tell to him were to get Rainlandar2 he liked when he saw it on my desktop.

Well sent him the email with what he asked for, expecting to hear back from them, it's been 72hrs. still nothing :lol:

BTW: I think a deceit translation of "être à côté de la plaque" could be " Shoot'n from the hip"
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
15GB RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-19.3: LMDE)

thatsallurspaceships
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thatsallurspaceships »

PA-THE-TIC
How...?
THATS ALL YOUR SPACESHIPS?

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

I didn't read it all, but one big bottleneck with Linux is XOrg. I'm waiting for Wayland that should start next year if I read well.
When the display will be as responsive as Windows, Linux will become more interesting.

LarryNG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LarryNG »

Hello everyone, my first post too, hopefully not a bad one. ;)

I installed Mint 11 on two of my machines yesterday, and I am very pleased with how well it has recognized hardware, installed drivers, and generally performed quite nicely all around. Of all the different distributions I've played with over the years, surely Mint has been the fastest, most stable, and in my opinion the most attractive of GUIs.

I am familiar with Linux but I am nowhere near good enough to feel that I am adequate. I have a similar question as the original post: why are some distributions of Linux so much slower than others? I've found that turning off eye candy is usually a huge help (I.e. Ubuntu 10.04.3 is nice enough with all display effects turned off but it can be far too slow for my needs if the enhancements are left turned on), but even then one distro might still be considerably quicker even though it's using the same kernel/setup. Some distributions do not initially recognize hardware and video acceleration, and they run terribly slow until all drivers are installed. I don't remember the distro but I've seen barebone distros run slower than a distro with eye candy, and so I'm wondering if maybe the differences of speed might perhaps be due to someone having used a slower programming language for some OS operations.

I've serviced electronics for a lot of years, and I can usually tell a customer why their Windows machine is slow, but I'm not sure on Linux.

For over a year I had been debating whether or not to upgrade from XP to 7, and I am hoping that I finally got my answer; Mint! :)
'God is dead' - Nietzsche ..... 'Nietzsche is dead' - God ..... sometimes even the right answer is still the wrong question.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”