Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Post by tdockery97 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:59 am

Logging into a MATE session is now working on the 32 bit after today's update. Now that I've tried it I can see where it might equal Gnome 2 in a couple of years, but for now it is lacking a huge number of Gnome 2 features. The Classic Desktop option (fallback) is actually closer to the the way Gnome 2 works, and looks and acts waaaay better than MATE. I'm going to stick with it instead of MATE. I know the fallback mode is supposed to go away, but who knows for sure? It may end up being retained as an alternative desktop to Gnome-Shell. Even if it isn't, it will be around for the next 1 to 5 years as it is supported in the current Ubuntu 11.10, and looks like it will also be in the 12.04 LTS, which means it should be in Mint 13 LTS also.

So my current opinion of Mint 12 Lisa is that it is a great accomplishment by Clem and his team in making the generic Gnome-shell into a usable and good looking desktop. IMO the MATE desktop is a good idea, but severely lacking in execution (not Clem's fault). While I will never be in love with Gnome Shell, for the time being the Classic Desktop works nearly identical to the way I was using Gnome 2, so in conclusion I am one happy camper. :mrgreen:
Mint 19.2 MATE

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:02 am

In Mint 12 RC, some services necessary for network printing aren't running by default. I also suddenly need my password to set up a printer.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:04 am

Wamukota wrote:the work that Clem and the gang did to put a Mint layer on top of the unworkable Gnome3 but as it stands now this is merely a beta than a RC
Err no, this is gnome shell, that is what you get, it doesn't work like gnome 2. All the things you say are missing are no longer there, the mint team are not trying to make gnome shell into a gnome 2 look-a-like.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:40 am

If you hover over "Help" in the menu, the program description is "Get help with Unity". Oops :)

Really nice RC so far, everything is working fine this end. I was looking for an Ubuntu with just Gnome Shell and nothing Unity related pre-installed, and this certainly seems exactly it!
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:40 am

remoulder wrote:
Wamukota wrote:the work that Clem and the gang did to put a Mint layer on top of the unworkable Gnome3 but as it stands now this is merely a beta than a RC
Err no, this is gnome shell, that is what you get, it doesn't work like gnome 2. All the things you say are missing are no longer there, the mint team are not trying to make gnome shell into a gnome 2 look-a-like.
I dont think its just a look alike, but they have added a lot of things that should have been in gnome 3. All the complaints that the op had are fixable if you are not stuck on having exactly what you had in gnome 2. I tend to wipe off all panels and install avant window manager. The process on Mint 12 has been the easiest so far in the distro's I have tried with gnome 3. When I set the doc to intellihide I have all applications full screen without any dock. The dock has a menu and its easy to shrink and maximize open applications. Here is a screenshot.

Image for a bigger version here is a link http://i9.removed/albums/a74/tghc/Mint/ ... 083454.png

I am thinking of adding a howto on it.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt007 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:10 am

AlbertP wrote:Not yet. But I expect Mint 12 to be here within a day: http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/testing/
Tonight it'll appear at most other mirrors, and I think it'll appear on the Linux Mint website tomorrow, along with a torrent.
I'm using the Linux Mint 12-Gnome dvd-64 Bit rc and in my opinion it's the best Linux Mint ever. I am running the rc as it came out of the box. I'll be using it as long as it works. I have not seen anything that satisfies my needs as well as this release. I have Lubuntu 11.10 and LMDE in two other machines. I had to use a terminal to add 20 + or – packages to Lubuntu so it would do the things that Mint 12 does out of the box. To me LMDE is not worth the additional effort needed to get it to work as well as the Mint standard does from the start. It works well and I will keep it but I want to use an operating system and not build one. (sorry) :oops:
The 12rc is a tremendous accomplishment for Clem and everyone involved. Thank you all. :D

Update: After attempting to use LMDE Gnome since the beginning (a year??) I have it working. In fact it works as well as Linux Mint #11 or #12. It has all the features as both of them. After using Linux for seven years and Mint for most of that the problem was me and my brain or lack of one. :oops: :oops: I reinstalled the 64 bit and followed Clem, proxima_centauri and zerozero's instructions from beginning to the end in order. Everything noted that could happen did and I followed the suggestions for correcting each item as it came up. I feel liberated. Now I don't care if Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu or Debian. LMDE works just fine on it's own. :D :D
Last edited by ajt007 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire Desktop PC - AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 5500+ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 350 HDD, DVDRW

wolverine_tech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wolverine_tech » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:59 am

TrackPad was disabled by default (??)

I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled the Mint 12 RC (64-bit) and something weird happened:
Upon log in, I got a solid blue background and the trackpad did not respond while the red mouse button on the ThinkPad did. The trackpad options under system settings were enabled and looked fine. Upon installing GPointingDevices, I found that the trackpad was disabled by default. Upon enabling it through GPointingDevices, it was back to normal. Has been working smoothly since then.

Has anyone else had that happen? I hope it was a one-off thing on my hardware (this had never happened before).

charliemoss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by charliemoss » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 pm

The update to the MATE Menu seems to have resolved the "click-crash-restart" issue.

I would like to uninstall the Gnome Shell (did I miss someone explaining how to do it or is it not possible), move all the indicators back to the one panel and install AWN again. Then life can get back to normal whilst I wait for improvents to MATE.

The aim of Gnome Shell was to free up as much on-screen space as possible, allowing applications to run in full screen mode. Sadly this came at the cost of usability. Personally, I rather sacrifice a sliver of space if it allows me to see at a glimpse what is running and give me instant access to my "favourite" apps. Sadly this version has now two space-hogging panels. I truly feel the sacrifice to change to Gnome 3 has been too great. Linux Mint has always been the distro you could give to a noob and simply say "enjoy". Unlike so many others that require a days training in terminal commands. I miss already... right click "Launch when I log in". I feel a lot of people will give Unity another go now and it may become a race between MATE & Unity to reach a reasonable level of usability. Unfortunately in the Linux world the minority are the loudest & therefore the most heard. People forget the majority of computer users are literally just "users", they want to get things done with as little effort as possible, no tweaking, no compiling, no studying 10cm thick books.... hence the unfortunate success of Apple products.

Linux Mint = usability. This is why it's been so successful. I hope this usability can be restored before the final version.

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:10 pm

I can't get my keyboard short cuts to work. Anybody else experiencing this? Everything else seems to be fine so far. :wink:

doubled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doubled » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Instead of clicking the Infinity thingy (Activities), move the cursor to the upper left of it -- alll the way to the corner of the screen -- and you see a radar effect that toggles between Activities and the Desktop. Thus, you can get to "Window," "Activities," and the side panel without clicking.

Not a particularly useful feature, but interesting nevertheless.

crispata
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crispata » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:42 pm

Kilz wrote:
remoulder wrote:
I dont think its just a look alike, but they have added a lot of things that should have been in gnome 3. All the complaints that the op had are fixable if you are not stuck on having exactly what you had in gnome 2. I tend to wipe off all panels and install avant window manager. The process on Mint 12 has been the easiest so far in the distro's I have tried with gnome 3. When I set the doc to intellihide I have all applications full screen without any dock. The dock has a menu and its easy to shrink and maximize open applications. Here is a screenshot.

Image for a bigger version here is a link http://i9.removed/albums/a74/tghc/Mint/ ... 083454.png

I am thinking of adding a howto on it.
I'd love it if you would -- I'm not sure I want exactly what you have done there, but would be interested to see your process.

One question -- I like the menu from the bottom panel -- can this be added/preserved in AWN or Cairo-Dock -- not sure how it's implemented currently, I haven't dug too deep yet.

And also let me add a THANKS to the entire Mint team for the MGSE environment, and for providing so many options for the users. WELL DONE. <3

Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:15 pm

crispata wrote: One question -- I like the menu from the bottom panel -- can this be added/preserved in AWN or Cairo-Dock -- not sure how it's implemented currently, I haven't dug too deep yet.
Not sure if its possible, but I do have a standard gnome menu when you click on the mint icon in the dock thanks to alacarte. But its not the fancy mint menu. As far as the process, I end up adding another session that only has the dock. You can choose it or another option like the shell or the fallback mode.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

JordanV0712
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JordanV0712 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:29 pm

wumingism wrote:
JordanV0712 wrote:How do I use the keyboard shortcuts for switching inbetween workspaces without going into the Activities Menu?
the answer to your question + lots of cool keyboard shortcuts available here:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

in short, to switch to diff workspace, ctrl+alt+up/down but this feature is broken at the moment :cry:
Yeah I know of the shortcuts, I just want to know how I can activate them. I find it very annoying to have to go to either one of the corners to switch my workspace...
Linux Mint 12 KDE

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Just want to say I'm loving the MATE desktop :-) Very glad to see it is up and running on the 32 RC now, just got the updates and logged in. Everything looks fine except my wireless icon is running off the page a bit on the bottom right corner. Otherwise, I feel like I'm home again, fresh, clean, simple, easy-to-use MATE :-)
KBD47

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Looks like a couple issues with MATE. There is no volume control now with my machine and no volume control icon on the panel. I was able to open alsamixer in the terminal and turn up the volume there. Is there a way to get my volume control back, or at least add volume or alsamixer to the panel? Also, my wireless icon has drifted off of the panel to the right now, and I'm also missing my battery icon. I think when these bugs are fixed the Ubuntu refugees are going to be quite happy. One other thing while I'm thinking of it, I have what looks like a LXDE style menu instead of the Mint Menu, is that the way it is supposed to look?
Thanks!
KBD47

lurkatron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lurkatron » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:24 pm

i have a problem with MATE, the panel appears outside/below the screen. this is in virtualbox, if i resize virtualbox window the panel appears

JordanV0712
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JordanV0712 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Does anyone know of a fix for the workspace switcher shortcut??? I would really like to get it working soon.
Linux Mint 12 KDE

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:33 pm

I just saw this top panel auto hide extension on web upd8 but I cannot get it to accept the ppa. Has anyone tried it yet?

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/autohide ... nally.html

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:37 pm

z06gal wrote:I just saw this top panel auto hide extension on web upd8 but I cannot get it to accept the ppa. Has anyone tried it yet?

How did you add the PPA, with the terminal command apt-add repository?

Check software sources, it may have added "lisa" instead of "oneiric" for the distribution. I had to manually edit the repo in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:06 pm

proxima_centauri wrote:
z06gal wrote:I just saw this top panel auto hide extension on web upd8 but I cannot get it to accept the ppa. Has anyone tried it yet?

How did you add the PPA, with the terminal command apt-add repository?

Check software sources, it may have added "lisa" instead of "oneiric" for the distribution. I had to manually edit the repo in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

I didn't even think of that prox. Thanks. Now that I have it installed, how do I activate it?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”