Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Post by podagee » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:27 am

suddenly over it again.this time im deleting and just gonna wait for the final.im getting way too much errors within this rc.hopefully it gets fixed,but,other than that.its smooth and stable.another thing is why wont compiz work in mate or gnome classic?mate reminds me a lot of lxde
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:52 am

podagee. Open a terminal and do an apt-get update. Then open synaptic and see what you find.
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:12 am

did it all now back on my ubuntu
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:46 am

Kilz wrote:
charliemoss wrote:

Gnome 2 as you knew it is no more, it doesnt exist, its gone, its ceased to exist, its shuffled off the mortal coil, its pushing up daisy's, its gone to meet its maker, its a dead parrot (ooopps this isnt monty python). Mint 11 was the last gnome 2 desktop that I am aware of in a linux distro, look around, you can try but I am sure you wont find one.. Wishing it would stick around and be there forever isnt going to happen. The people who build the distro's dont want to take on a project like a desktop. Gnome 2 was forked and the fork is called Mate, but if that is going to receive work and become a desktop in 6 months or a year is unknown. I wish them luck, but no one is paying them to do it and the work might be to much in the end. Its also been announced that the fallback mode will be discontinued because Gnome developers have figured out how to make a less demanding version of the shell for those with older graphics cards.
Gnome 2.x is still available in many distros. Debian for one (will remain there for a year or two ) But it will not be updated much beyond the last official release of gnome 2.x.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:49 am

Only problems I've run into so far is the system freeze up in software center that someone else has already mentioned so for the time being am not using that function.
but other than that it has preformed very well for my kind of computing and is much easier to navigate in general than straight Gnome 3 Shell. and definitely much more appealing to me than Unity.
Good Work Guys :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:50 am

Just installed and it's working like a charm!
Best of all, I got rid of that disturbing top panel using this: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/autohide ... nally.html
I did not add the repository as suggested there but simply downloaded the extension, decompressed it and moved the extracted folder to /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions (use sudo nautilus to get the permissions). Logged off, then logged in, then activated it using GNOME Tweak Tool, and voilà... top panel out of my sight!
I still don't like that top panel (in its native "fixed" state steals part of my screen!), but having it in autohide mode is much more bearable.
Sorry, I only speak Spanish

charliemoss
Level 1
Level 1

Post by charliemoss » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:38 am

Kilz wrote:
Kilz wrote: Others have tried to explain it to you. I might as well take a shot.

Gnome 2 as you knew it is no more, it doesnt exist, its gone, its ceased to exist, its shuffled off the mortal coil, its pushing up daisy's, its gone to meet its maker, its a dead parrot (ooopps this isnt monty python). Mint 11 was the last gnome 2 desktop that I am aware of in a linux distro, look around, you can try but I am sure you wont find one.. Wishing it would stick around and be there forever isnt going to happen. The people who build the distro's dont want to take on a project like a desktop. Gnome 2 was forked and the fork is called Mate, but if that is going to receive work and become a desktop in 6 months or a year is unknown. I wish them luck, but no one is paying them to do it and the work might be to much in the end. Its also been announced that the fallback mode will be discontinued because Gnome developers have figured out how to make a less demanding version of the shell for those with older graphics cards.

So you have a few choices.
1. Move to Gnome 3 - You can wait a little as there is still support for a year on Mint 11.
2. Move to another desktop - A lot of people like xfce and kde.
3. Stay in the past with an old distro that doesnt get new versions of applications.
4. You can even try Unity - but its an even bigger disaster. :D

Me, I hate Gnome 3. But I know it can only get better since its at the bottom of usability right now. Mint 12 does try to make it better. So I am trying to make it livable.
Apologise for repeating myself but still nobody can give me a good reason to move to LM 12 other than repeating Gnome 2 is dead. Obviously Gnome 2 will fade away but I predict that a lot of regular LM users will stick with LM 11. Gnome 2 is far from "pushing up daises", only for the Gnome Developers.

So let me make my final point. I congratulate Clem & the team for their hard work but it simply is not ready to be even a RC. It should be out there for the community to play with, feedback, tweak, crashtest, etc but NOT to stand as Linux Mint's Flagship release. Linux Mint has always been the distro for the NEW and moderately experienced Linux user, it's polish and easy of use has made it NUMBER 1. I suggest they hold back this realease till flagship standard is reached. A quality like LM 11, so when a Windows 7 user tries it for the first time they say "WOW Linux is awesome", rather than "Linux, confused is this"

wumingism
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wumingism » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:01 am

JordanV0712 wrote:
wumingism wrote:
JordanV0712 wrote:How do I use the keyboard shortcuts for switching inbetween workspaces without going into the Activities Menu?
the answer to your question + lots of cool keyboard shortcuts available here:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

in short, to switch to diff workspace, ctrl+alt+up/down but this feature is broken at the moment :cry:
Yeah I know of the shortcuts, I just want to know how I can activate them. I find it very annoying to have to go to either one of the corners to switch my workspace...
shortcuts SHOULD be working by default (no need activation), if they not working then it is a bug. I know one shortcut that doesnt work, its the ctrl-alt-up/down to change workspace.

if you dont want to use mouse to go to corner of workspace, hit the 'super' key (lower left of keybord, button with funny icon)

wumingism
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wumingism » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:02 am

JordanV0712 wrote:Does anyone know of a fix for the workspace switcher shortcut??? I would really like to get it working soon.
This is a bug from one of the extension, submitted bug to launchpad. To fix this bug, disable one of the extension. From memory, I turn off the mint-menu and it worked fine (shortcut can then change workspace)

charliemoss
Level 1
Level 1

How I would change LINUX MINT 12 !!!

Post by charliemoss » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 am

With a few simple changes Linux Mint 12 would be the best.... again

Bottom Panel
Remove it completely . Put the "open program tabs" on the top panel.
Top Panel
Narrow the indicator icons
Replace username with simple LM logo
When mousing over the infinity symbol have the Windows & Application buttons appear there, in place of the infinity symbol
Put the search & Applications menu on the left
Other
Give the user the choice to "always show" dock (like in AWN, Unity, etc.)
Add right click "Launch on Log In"
and finally add some Linux Mint style

Of course, there are many more great tweaks, hide panel etc, but this could a good start.

I've started a new thread for this discussion...... http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 98&start=0

NicolasRobidoux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NicolasRobidoux » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:35 am

charliemoss wrote: Apologise for repeating myself but still nobody can give me a good reason to move to LM 12 other than repeating Gnome 2 is dead. Obviously Gnome 2 will fade away but I predict that a lot of regular LM users will stick with LM 11. Gnome 2 is far from "pushing up daises", only for the Gnome Developers...
One good reason was given: With Mint 12, you'll get more up to date versions of many applications and packages.

Good enough reason to switch despite major reservations w.r.t. the new desktops? Probably not.

wumingism
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wumingism » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:37 am

Apologise for repeating myself but still nobody can give me a good reason to move to LM 12 other than repeating Gnome 2 is dead. Obviously Gnome 2 will fade away but I predict that a lot of regular LM users will stick with LM 11. Gnome 2 is far from "pushing up daises", only for the Gnome Developers.
]
LM11 cant run new applications like evolution 3, because it relies on GTK3/gnome3. Any apps that uses gtk3/gnome3 will be incompatible with LM11. If you want to run outdated applications, might as well go debian stable. Its more stable. If you want an up to date distro with your favourite apps then gnome3 is must

crispata
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crispata » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:38 am

Has anyone had any issues with the menu on the bottom panel disappearing?

It disappeared yesterday, and no matter how many times I turn it back on, it does not reappear. (And shows as off in the tweak tool whenever I go back to check.)

I don't really see any obvious way to troubleshoot an individual extension, so if anyone has any tips, I'm happy to hear them. I'll also be hunting now for a config file someplace in my home directory that I can delete to reset my desktop (though I hadn't customized it anyway) so if someone knows which file that would be, I'd appreciate the tip.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:44 am

crispata wrote: I don't really see any obvious way to troubleshoot an individual extension, so if anyone has any tips
try alt+f2 lg (it's a small L), will open looking glass and on there you can, on the extensions tab see any errors, to exit hit q;

[ bliss of ignorance ]

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:28 am

The only thing that I would like to know how to change would be to have the infinity button on the top directly open the applications. To me it is just one other button to push. Click Infinity button --- click Applications. Why not go directly to to the icons on the applications screen? If I can figure that one out, then I would be ready to switch now.
One of my small complaints as well. It makes sense the windows overview is default but there ought to be either a shortcut for opening applications directly (like super+a opens dash with the app lense in Unity) or a setting to choose which page opens by default in the overview. These things are by Gnome Shell design, though, so the complaint is best voiced on Gnome's forum.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

wumingism
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wumingism » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:14 am

bimsebasse wrote:
The only thing that I would like to know how to change would be to have the infinity button on the top directly open the applications. To me it is just one other button to push. Click Infinity button --- click Applications. Why not go directly to to the icons on the applications screen? If I can figure that one out, then I would be ready to switch now.
One of my small complaints as well. It makes sense the windows overview is default but there ought to be either a shortcut for opening applications directly (like super+a opens dash with the app lense in Unity) or a setting to choose which page opens by default in the overview. These things are by Gnome Shell design, though, so the complaint is best voiced on Gnome's forum.
>> there ought to be either a shortcut for opening applications directly
if u want one click to open apps, installe frippery:favourites in panel extension: http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html

>> setting to choose which page opens by default in the overview.
not sure what you mean, there is an extension which dictates application to move to particular workspace when first opened,
eg firefox goes workspace1, evolution to wspace 2, nautilus to wspace3

gnome shell designed to be minamilistic (as always, thats the gnome philosphy), however if you search around extensions provide all the features u want.

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:29 am

We're talking about the overview, the thing on your screen when you click Activities or Infinity symbol icon, or press super ,or ram mouse into top left corner, the "dash".
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

dai1313
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dai1313 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:38 am

ernestj wrote:Oh, also, if they could fix the Kernel 3.0, it is a know bug that is not compatible with my wifi. I installed Ubuntu 11.10 and had to downgrade the kernal to 2.6 to be able to surf wireless.
Oh, you would not by any chance be running on a Broadcom wireless card would you?

If so, all you need to do to the 3.0 Kernel is blacklist the bcma module. I think.
Last edited by dai1313 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:46 am

ernestj, please open a new topic and tell what wireless card you're using. You can run inxi -N to see it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

dai1313
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dai1313 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:56 am

crispata wrote:Has anyone had any issues with the menu on the bottom panel disappearing?

It disappeared yesterday, and no matter how many times I turn it back on, it does not reappear. (And shows as off in the tweak tool whenever I go back to check.)

I don't really see any obvious way to troubleshoot an individual extension, so if anyone has any tips, I'm happy to hear them. I'll also be hunting now for a config file someplace in my home directory that I can delete to reset my desktop (though I hadn't customized it anyway) so if someone knows which file that would be, I'd appreciate the tip.
You might need gnome shell to restart in order for it to show up again.

alt+f2 r : might do the trick.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”