Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Post by bimsebasse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Hmm, try to open nautilus as root ("gksu nautilus") and click your way to the file instead.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:32 pm

I have had something occur twice today - my laptop doesn't resume from sleep. The back light comes on but it goes right back to sleep. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas as to what the issue is? Thanks

Robin

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:40 pm

bimsebasse wrote:Hmm, try to open nautilus as root ("gksu nautilus") and click your way to the file instead.
I actually did search my way to the file, changed it to 12, but there was no way to save it, but if I clicked on close, it asked if I wanted to save, I clicked on save, it said something about the file being a different type, but did I want to replace the existing one anyway, I bailed at that point afraid I'd bork the system, but if it is safe to replace the file I will do it, just didn't know why it would say the file I was about to save was a different type.
Thanks!
KBD47

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:51 pm

The worst thing that can happen is that your icon spacing looks wonky temporarily until you restore original settings, so you should be alright just changing the 12 to 6 and pressing CTRL+S to save. It's not a handle with great caution system file as such.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:02 pm

bimsebasse wrote:The worst thing that can happen is that your icon spacing looks wonky temporarily until you restore original settings, so you should be alright just changing the 12 to 6 and pressing CTRL+S to save. It's not a handle with great caution system file as such.
It said something about I was trying to replace a read only file and asked if I wanted to save and replace anyway, I did, then it said:
Could not save the file /usr/share/themes/Mint-Z…ome-shell/gnome-shell.css.
And something about me not having permission.
Hopefully Clem will tweak this before the final Mint 12 is released. My gigantic update notifier is stretched almost to the middle of the top panel with nearly a half-inch between all the icons.
I appreciate you trying to help me fix this.
KBD46

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:11 pm

KBD47 wrote:My gigantic update notifier is stretched almost to the middle of the top panel with nearly a half-inch between all the icons
Maybe you consider this a bug and report it at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:18 pm

KBD47 wrote:
bimsebasse wrote:The worst thing that can happen is that your icon spacing looks wonky temporarily until you restore original settings, so you should be alright just changing the 12 to 6 and pressing CTRL+S to save. It's not a handle with great caution system file as such.
It said something about I was trying to replace a read only file and asked if I wanted to save and replace anyway, I did, then it said:
Could not save the file /usr/share/themes/Mint-Z…ome-shell/gnome-shell.css.
And something about me not having permission.
Hopefully Clem will tweak this before the final Mint 12 is released. My gigantic update notifier is stretched almost to the middle of the top panel with nearly a half-inch between all the icons.
I appreciate you trying to help me fix this.
KBD46
That's cool, you're not root if it says you don't have permission, and it shouldn't be a replace job, just an edit. I'm probably not good at explaining things clearly. Anyway, if you're in the Copenhagen area I can drop by and sort it out :D

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:23 pm

That's cool, you're not root if it says you don't have permission, and it shouldn't be a replace job, just an edit. I'm probably not good at explaining things clearly. Anyway, if you're in the Copenhagen area I can drop by and sort it out
<end quote>

Haha, that would be a long trip since I live in the Midwest USA :-)

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:37 pm

remoulder wrote:
KBD47 wrote:My gigantic update notifier is stretched almost to the middle of the top panel with nearly a half-inch between all the icons
Maybe you consider this a bug and report it at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint?
OK, I filed a bug report. Hopefully it will get fixed.
Thanks!
KBD47

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:44 pm

z06gal wrote:I have had something occur twice today - my laptop doesn't resume from sleep. The back light comes on but it goes right back to sleep. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas as to what the issue is? Thanks

Robin
Just like in the other Mint Gnome versions there are two files to be concerned with. You need to check /etc/fstab and make sure the swap entry matches the UUID of your swap partition. Do the same with the file /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume. If both of those don't match your swap partition UUID resume from suspend or hibernate is unlikely to work.
KDE Neon

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:51 pm

I just finished the final setup of my Mint 12rc and everything looks and works exactly like it did in my Mint 11 Gnome desktop. I understand that for many others configuration may present problems, but in my case Mint 12 is a 100% success. You can see the desktop at: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p494349
KDE Neon

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:51 pm

For anyone out there that attempts to install this in Virtual Box and wonders what all the fuss is about since it looks a whole lot like Gnome2 I think I have an answer. You need to enable 3D Acceleration in VBox in order to get MGSE. Once you do that the next reboot of the vbox client will come up the the new desktop.

I'm embarrassed to tell you how long it took me to figure that out :lol:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:59 pm

tdockery97 wrote:
z06gal wrote:I have had something occur twice today - my laptop doesn't resume from sleep. The back light comes on but it goes right back to sleep. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas as to what the issue is? Thanks

Robin
Just like in the other Mint Gnome versions there are two files to be concerned with. You need to check /etc/fstab and make sure the swap entry matches the UUID of your swap partition. Do the same with the file /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume. If both of those don't match your swap partition UUID resume from suspend or hibernate is unlikely to work.
e

got it! thanks!
Last edited by z06gal on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:01 pm

tdockery97 wrote:I just finished the final setup of my Mint 12rc and everything looks and works exactly like it did in my Mint 11 Gnome desktop. I understand that for many others configuration may present problems, but in my case Mint 12 is a 100% success. You can see the desktop at: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p494349
Very nice :-)
Mine looks a bit more traditional:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1146142721 ... directlink

JordanV0712
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JordanV0712 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Does anyone know how to change the icon pack that comes by default? I don't really like it all that much. :/
Linux Mint 12 KDE

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:06 pm

altair4 wrote:For anyone out there that attempts to install this in Virtual Box and wonders what all the fuss is about since it looks a whole lot like Gnome2 I think I have an answer. You need to enable 3D Acceleration in VBox in order to get MGSE. Once you do that the next reboot of the vbox client will come up the the new desktop.

I'm embarrassed to tell you how long it took me to figure that out :lol:
Don't be embarrassed. I actually thought I was looking at the MATE desktop when I opened it it Virtualbox and saw Gnome Classic :-)

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 pm

JordanV0712 wrote:Does anyone know how to change the icon pack that comes by default? I don't really like it all that much. :/
Put your downloaded icons folder into usr/share/icons/ (you must be root) and select them using Advanced Settings (aka Gnome Tweak Tool). Let me know if you need more detailed instructions :)

lxq_ikrana
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lxq_ikrana » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:58 pm

I tried putting the 64bit DVD on a usb drive, using pendrivelinux.com's Universal USB Installer. Since it doesn't yet support Lisa, I first tried it with unlisted distro, new syslinux. That didn't work, so I tried it with old syslinux. The drive is bootable now. Booting shows an LM12 screen that says 'booting in 10-9-8" etc. After that, screen just turns off. No display at all. I hear the Mint starting sound, so the RC is definitely loading, just that the display is off. Any ideas? I'm itching to try LM12.

Should I try some other way of making a bootable drive? Could it be a gfx driver issue? I'm running an AMD A8 3510MX with an additional Radeon 6750M.

Thanks!

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:06 am

KBD47 wrote: Very nice :-)
Nice KBD47. The green is probably more fitting for Lisa than my wall. :wink:
KDE Neon

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:22 am

tdockery97 wrote:
KBD47 wrote: Very nice :-)
Nice KBD47. The green is probably more fitting for Lisa than my wall. :wink:
Thanks! I think my setup makes MGSE familiar and easy for Gnome 2 fans. Just curious, what dock are you using? I tried Cairo Dock with Gnome Fallback on Ubuntu 11.10 and it had an awful black box around it eating up the screen.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”