Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint 12 Release Candidate

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:52 am

I'm using Cairo Dock. I don't need the prop. video driver because the open-source driver (Gallium) gives me 3d effects.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Beta

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:44 am

tdockery97 wrote:I'm using Cairo Dock. I don't need the prop. video driver because the open-source driver (Gallium) gives me 3d effects.
I thought that looked like Cairo Dock. When I used it in Ubuntu 11.10 fallback mode I got the odd black box all around it, but I could also just log into Cairo Dock and it looked really good, but I like my minimized windows to have text to help me to better keep track of things. The dock in Xubuntu is pretty nice because it allows minimized windows with text. I'm fairly pleased with the Mint setup I have right now. Gnome Classic was my first choice, but since getting rid of the bottom panel in MGSE and getting my shortcuts to work on the desktop MGSE is definitely winning me over.

darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:53 am

KBD47 wrote:
michael.conner wrote:I disabled the bottom panel extension. With the window list up in the top panel and the "hot corner" mouse-over deactivated, I more or less have the same Gnome experience I used to have under Gnome 2 -- but if I want to use the Activities launcher with the super key, I have it. This is great!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I also deactivated the bottom panel and am much happier with just the top panel. If they fix the icons so they are not spread out and make them more even in size, I'd say Mint 12 would just about be perfect :-)
KBD47
I also have deactivated the bottom panel but i see no posibility to switch between workspaces?
Anyone?
HP Z400 Workstation
LMDE 3 Cindy

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:59 am

Yes, I noticed when I deactivated the bottom panel I lost workspaces. For me it was worth the trade off because I seldom use workspaces and wanted just one panel. If there is a way to add workspaces with just the top panel I'd be interested in knowing it as well.
KBD47
PS--I'm thinking of traditional workspaces like in Gnome 2. If you click on the infinity icon you get gnome 3 and can get workspaces on the right side of your desktop when you move your cursor over there.
PPS--What am I going to rant about now that my Gnome 3 hate is fading because of MGSE? Thanks a lot Mint 12 :evil:

bengateau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bengateau » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:03 am

KBD47 wrote:Gnome Classic was my first choice, but since getting rid of the bottom panel in MGSE and getting my shortcuts to work on the desktop MGSE is definitely winning me over.
Hi KBD47,

Can you tell me how you added your shortcuts on MGSE desktop? I have one .sh file which I'd like to run without prompting me if I want to run it in a terminal or not. I copied the said .sh file to my Desktop directory, also tried with the symlink, but both times it's prompting me and I don't want that. What I am looking for is something similar to "Application Launcher" from Gnome2.

Another question I have is how to add the link to the .sh file to the MGSE dock? Maybe I have to add it to one of the menus as that's the only way I can see to add things to dock, but I can't seem to be able to do that either.

Cheers, Ben.

crispata
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crispata » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:20 am

lxq_ikrana wrote:I tried putting the 64bit DVD on a usb drive, using pendrivelinux.com's Universal USB Installer. Since it doesn't yet support Lisa, I first tried it with unlisted distro, new syslinux. That didn't work, so I tried it with old syslinux. The drive is bootable now. Booting shows an LM12 screen that says 'booting in 10-9-8" etc. After that, screen just turns off. No display at all. I hear the Mint starting sound, so the RC is definitely loading, just that the display is off. Any ideas? I'm itching to try LM12.

Should I try some other way of making a bootable drive? Could it be a gfx driver issue? I'm running an AMD A8 3510MX with an additional Radeon 6750M.

Thanks!
I don't have any actual suggestions based on a guess as to what went wrong, but if you are suspecting that the method of making the USB drive might be the issue, I'd suggest using Multisystem -- this is how I installed it, and I had no problems.

If you aren't familiar with it, you can install it in Ubuntu (and presumably Mint) via a script from its homepage, and use the GUI it provides to make a USB drive bootable + add however many ISO's you want to the menu it provides at boot.

You can also download the multisystem virtual machine and use virtualbox to run it -- it's got the gui interface installed.

The GUI is not the most intuitive, but it gets the job done.

http://liveusb.info/dotclear/

It helps if your native language is French (mine isn't), but there's a google translate widget on the page that will let you change the language.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:38 am

Please try the Mint 11 setting instead of unlisted distro. The ISO file might not be visible but you can manually type its name and it'll show up.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:19 pm

bengateau wrote:
KBD47 wrote:Gnome Classic was my first choice, but since getting rid of the bottom panel in MGSE and getting my shortcuts to work on the desktop MGSE is definitely winning me over.
Hi KBD47,

Can you tell me how you added your shortcuts on MGSE desktop? I have one .sh file which I'd like to run without prompting me if I want to run it in a terminal or not. I copied the said .sh file to my Desktop directory, also tried with the symlink, but both times it's prompting me and I don't want that. What I am looking for is something similar to "Application Launcher" from Gnome2.

Another question I have is how to add the link to the .sh file to the MGSE dock? Maybe I have to add it to one of the menus as that's the only way I can see to add things to dock, but I can't seem to be able to do that either.

Cheers, Ben.
The way I got my app shortcuts to show up was to log out, log into Gnome Classic, then drag and drop my apps to the desktop, log out, and log back into MGSE and my shortcuts were then on the desktop.
Hope this helps.
KBD47

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:41 pm

Another way to add a shortcut on the desktop is to run the following command:

Code: Select all

gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new
You will end up with the "Create Launcher" pop-up that you remember in Gnome2.

Curiously it's reminiscent of the use of lxshortcut in lxde :wink:
Last edited by altair4 on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

lxq_ikrana
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lxq_ikrana » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:06 pm

So,
I tried using multiboot, but that doesn't seem to work (just gets stuck at the boot menu). I also tried using Universal USB Installer with Linux Mint 11. Drive is bootable now, but the issue is the same as before - no display. System boots, I can hear the startup sound of LM. System is not freezing either - I was able to ctrl+alt+T and use sudo reboot to restart the system. This must be a display driver issue. Where do I file a report?

Thanks!

bengateau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bengateau » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:04 pm

Thank you KBD47 and altair4 for your answers. I ended up installing Nvidia proprietary driver (thought that was the right thing to do) and that got me to the "Fallback mode". Creating shortcuts is easier there. It seems that "Show desktop" applet is not there and it's also hard to add anything to the panel.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:25 pm

bengateau wrote:Thank you KBD47 and altair4 for your answers. I ended up installing Nvidia proprietary driver (thought that was the right thing to do) and that got me to the "Fallback mode". Creating shortcuts is easier there. It seems that "Show desktop" applet is not there and it's also hard to add anything to the panel.
If you want to add something to the panel that isn't in the "Add to Panel" list, just select "Custom Application Launcher". Then you can configure it to make a panel shortcut for apps like Firefox.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Beta

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 am

bimsebasse wrote:Hmm, try to open nautilus as root ("gksu nautilus") and click your way to the file instead.
Thanks, using the "gksu nautilus" command in the terminal I was able to finally track down that file and change the settings as you suggested. I also increased the font size to 10 so the text in the panel is readable.
So I changed the padding value from 12 to 6. And per a suggestion from my bug report on this issue border-right set to 6 (instead of 0) so the panel text doesn't go too far to the right, and as mentioned, font size from 8 to 10. Now my desktop looks like it should. My suggestion would be for these values to be the default setting to improve the panel appearance in MGSE.
KBD47

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 am

Nice :) Didn't get any email notifications about your launchpad reply and probably wouldn't have seen it so I'm glad you worked it out. Remains to see if the devs also think icon spacing is too wide in the default shell theme.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:41 am

bimsebasse wrote:Nice :) Didn't get any email notifications about your launchpad reply and probably wouldn't have seen it so I'm glad you worked it out. Remains to see if the devs also think icon spacing is too wide in the default shell theme.
Thanks. I'm quite pleased with it now. Since I'm using just the top panel it is bad news to have so much space between the icons, that panel is already quite busy :-) I couldn't believe the panel text was set for 8 point default, no wonder it looked so tiny. 10 point is just about perfect.
Thanks again.
KBD47

hairybiker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hairybiker » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:31 am

Mint12 64bit, Wine 1.32 installed. It will not find any cdroms (using autodetect), even adding a symlink to r:-->/dev/sr0 doesn't work.
Anybody got any clues ?

If I boot back into my M11/64bit 1.32 it shows both drives fine.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Question for those who have actually installed Mint 12 RC...When i was running the live session, i noticed that in the "tweaks" you could change the GTK+ themes and there was a large list in there...I tried changing from (i think) the defaulted MintZ to MintX or or something like that, but even after logging out and back in, i did not see any change in the overall appearance...does that actually work when it is installed? Could you actually change the appearance theme and does the look change?

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:52 pm

I want to post some final thoughts as I await the final release of Mint 12. First I think Mint 12 has a lot of potential. Even now with quite a few tweaks it can be made into a nice, usable desktop. I think many people are not going to like having 2 panels when they are used to just one. I think the top right hot corner should be disabled by default, it is too easy to accidentally trigger it and it can be irritating. There is no way I would include MATE in the final release unless it is way better than it is right now. Those expecting a Mint 11 Gnome 2 experience from MATE will be disappointed from the start, and more so when they find MATE is so unfinished. Better to offer a Mintified Xfce desktop with a Mint menu and panel moved to the bottom where most people seem to prefer the menu. Xfce can easily be made to look very much like Gnome 2, but it's supported, not likely to change much, and I've said for months it would be the best choice for those preferring a classic desktop in the Ubuntu based release of Mint.
I appreciate the work that has gone into Mint 12. In a perfect world I'd recommend two different releases, one for those wanting Gnome Shell, and another built on Xfce desktop with a traditional Mint menu.
I've had more than my say so I'll quit here.
KBD47

z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z06gal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:43 pm

craig10x wrote:Question for those who have actually installed Mint 12 RC...When i was running the live session, i noticed that in the "tweaks" you could change the GTK+ themes and there was a large list in there...I tried changing from (i think) the defaulted MintZ to MintX or or something like that, but even after logging out and back in, i did not see any change in the overall appearance...does that actually work when it is installed? Could you actually change the appearance theme and does the look change?

o

Craig, they all work for me with no issues :wink:

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Thank you Robin :) :wink:

I (anxiously) await the final release to install :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”