Icons that could be tweaked in LM12

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simpleblue

Icons that could be tweaked in LM12

Post by simpleblue »

I find Linux Mint to be one of the most polished distros available, but I have a little grumble with the icons. I'm running LM12 and I'd say about 95% of the icons looking amazingly polished. I'm talking about the icons from the Mint-X theme. There are some icons that I feel could using tweaking to properly match the rest of them. I'm the type of person that notices this stuff and gets really irritated when I see it. Newcomers to Linux will notice this too but may just think of Linux as cheap or scattered instead of seeing it as an easy fix. Can we blame them? I know it's just icons, but it just bugs me to see such a great desktop and yet this small, very small, thing throws it off. It's like running a marathon and stopping 10 feet before the finish line. Let's get these icons tweaked so ours mouths can drool when we look at the new Gnome Shell icon display. Gnome Shell is so sleek with its curves and liquid smooth animation. They've done their part. All we need to do is a little work on these icons it all comes together.

Here are the names of the icons that don't look as good as they could:

System Profiler and Benchmark
UXTerm
Python (v2.7)
Sun Java
Backup Tool
Configuration Editor
Log file viewer
Backup
Software Manager
APTonCD
Personal File Sharing
Upload Manager

The picture below shows most of those icons as favorites so you can easily distinguish them. I show the applications icons so you can see how they look when mixed in with the nice icons. You may note the Software manager icon is in the favorites too. This is because almost all of the icons have a square theme to them except this icon that seems to be a four sided star. It seems to throw the whole thing off but you might not notice how much it throws it off until you take the icon away to see for yourself.
screenshote.png
Below are the icons that seem to match. I posted this pic to so you can compare. I recommend opening each one up and switching between them. You can definitely see the contrast.
screenshotgood.png
For those wanting a quick solution I suggest just installing the GUI program 'alacarte' and taking the programs out of the menu.

Am I the only one that gets irritated over such things?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: Icons that could be tweaked in LM12

Post by bimsebasse »

To put it bluntly, the Faenza application icons are nice, the non-Faenza ones either aren't or stand out too much from the square scheme.

Some of the not so great icons you list already have official Faenza replacements, they just haven't been implemented in mint's adaptation (yet?) (e.g. UXTerm and Log File Viewer)
ImageImage

And some of them have unofficial Faenza replacements, like e.g. Déjà Dup (aka Backup): http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=135857
simpleblue

Re: Icons that could be tweaked in LM12

Post by simpleblue »

bimsebasse wrote:To put it bluntly, the Faenza application icons are nice, the non-Faenza ones either aren't or stand out too much from the square scheme.

Some of the not so great icons you list already have official Faenza replacements, they just haven't been implemented in mint's adaptation (yet?) (e.g. UXTerm and Log File Viewer)
ImageImage

And some of them have unofficial Faenza replacements, like e.g. Déjà Dup (aka Backup): http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=135857
Those icons looks great! What a difference little chances like this can have on the overall look. These icons make me want to click on them.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”