Another Look At Mint 12

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Another Look At Mint 12

Post by tdockery97 »

Yet another look at Lisa published today: http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News ... -released/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Another Look At Mint 12

Post by KBD47 »

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Here is another one but this one feels more like a rant: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/linu ... test-hits/
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

nunol wrote:Here is another one but this one feels more like a rant: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/linu ... test-hits/
I read that one a few minutes ago. I can't help but think there is a lot of pro-Ubuntu bias in that one, especially considering how Mint has bumped Ubuntu out of the top spot at distrowatch.
The impression I get from that article: What is Mint thinking by trying to please its users? ;-)
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

nunol wrote:Here is another one but this one feels more like a rant: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/linu ... test-hits/
That is the worst article I've ever read on OMGUbuntu it feels like a cheap joke all the way through :? and completely without substance :roll:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Don't think this one has been posted yet:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/10 ... or-ordered
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

KBD47 wrote:Don't think this one has been posted yet:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/10 ... or-ordered
It seems like this guy has actually spent some time using Mint 12.

So what’s the bottom line with Mint 12? As a whole, it feels like it’s not a giant update from Mint 11 — the addition of GNOME 3 and MGSE is, of course, large, but overall the feeling is that RC1 is intended to sit out there directly against Ubuntu 11.10 and Unity, waving the flag of complete customization. In this regard it’ll make both Mint 11 and disgruntled Ubuntu users alike happy. Being able to make it all look the same as it ever was, so to speak, also throws an important bone to the old-school power user crowd, so Mint has managed to put out a solid release that is functionally cosmetic changes and window dressing and yet will more than likely keep them at the top of the Linux desktop crowd, at least for now. Mint’s slogan is “From freedom came elegance,” and Mint 12 certainly proves that to be the case.
I absolutely agree with this summary.
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

I feel too much attention is given to the distrowatch no. 1 spot - isn't that site mainly for us distro geeks? There must be thousands and thousands of Ubuntu users out there who haven't heard of distrowatch whereas Linux Mint probably to a much higher extent attracts the geeky demographic.
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

[/quote]I feel too much attention is given to the distrowatch no. 1 spot .[/quote]

I agree, I have downloaded way too many iso's over the last few years and only visited that site twice, but those figures seem to excite some people.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

water spirit wrote:
I feel too much attention is given to the distrowatch no. 1 spot .
I agree, I have downloaded way too many iso's over the last few years and only visited that site twice, but those figures seem to excite some people.
I agree, too. I visit DistroWatch a lot, but the links of the distros I use are the ones I click on the least, so it would seem that my page hits don't reflect which distros I prefer to use, only the ones I might be interested in reading about.

But, if I visit a distro's forums or main site without going through DistroWatch, are those page hits also counted at DistroWatch? Not clear on that point.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Distrowatch rankings are based purely on hits to the distributions' Distrowatch pages (not their respective websites). There are no other factors involved.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

randomizer wrote:Distrowatch rankings are based purely on hits to the distributions' Distrowatch pages (not their respective websites). There are no other factors involved.
Then, as bimsebasse said, far too much attention is given to the DistroWatch #1 spot. It doesn't necessarily reflect which distro is most popular OR which distro is being used the most. Unfortunately, too many folks seem to believe otherwise.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Ah, it does reflect popularity and momentum in some circles for sure, and it's an achievement to dethrone Ubuntu, it's just that you can't really point to the list and say "[current top ranking distro] is the most popular Linux". It's the same reason browser stats on the W3 Schools doesn't tell you which browser is generally most popular, only which browser is most popular among W3 Schools users.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”