Opinion bout 12RC @omgubuntu

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Opinion bout 12RC @omgubuntu

Post by craig10x » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Joe...i suspect you never used a mac...i have and that is why it was easy for me to adjust to unity....i don't think the mac docky is dumb nor do i think the unity docky is dumb either and it doesn't interrupt my work flow at all, other then i'm now going to the left instead of the bottom as in linux mint (well, up to version 11 that is...lol)...

And for a newcomer to Linux, ubuntu 11.10 with the unity bar would likely be very appealing, indeed...just because you think unity is crap and dumb and lousy for your workflow, don't automatically make the assumption that everyone will feel the way you do about it...there are plenty of unity fans that very much like it....

I really appreciate what Clem is doing for mint regarding gnome 3 shell with MGSE though... :)

Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Opinion bout 12RC @omgubuntu

Post by Joe_Linux » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:17 pm

craig10x wrote:Joe...i suspect you never used a mac...i have and that is why it was easy for me to adjust to unity....i don't think the mac docky is dumb nor do i think the unity docky is dumb either and it doesn't interrupt my work flow at all, other then i'm now going to the left instead of the bottom as in linux mint (well, up to version 11 that is...lol)...

And for a newcomer to Linux, ubuntu 11.10 with the unity bar would likely be very appealing, indeed...
Actually I kept 175 Macs alive when I worked in the school system. I liked them a lot, but in general Macs are too proprietary and too expensive. From what I have seen Macs have much more sex appeal than anything "Unity." Maybe you should try a traditional taskbar system and get the feeling for its great utility. MSGE isn't Gnome 2, but it is a useful interface. Actually you can use AWM on Gnome and have a more Mac like experience than anything Unity provides. As for recent iterations of the Mac OSX, I have also found a pure Linux desktop to actually be more user friendly. There were modifications to Linux that could make a Linux system look and feel almost exactly like a Mac. I tried it for a short time, but found no actual improvement and hence no purpose. Clem's MGSE or whatever it is called does have a purpose. It turns a clumsy interface into something usable, and hence better.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”