Various Issues and Bugs with Mint 12 Final - Add Yours

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Various Issues and Bugs with Mint 12 Final - Add Yours

Post by Joe_Linux »

Okay I had tried Mint12rc on a USB stick as the live user only. I downloaded 12 final this morning a redid the USB stick. This time I added myself as a user, but the stick becomes unusable as I don't know what the Live User password is. Also, I tried to install a couple of Gnome 3 extensions in the "jl" user's home. The System Monitor extension crowded out the clock so I could not see it any more. Also the Gnome 3 Glipper or what ever its called never worked even though it was installed. Supposedly you are supposed to be able to add applets to the upper panel with <Alt> + <Right Click> on the panel, but nothing happens there. While I like the MGSE approach, it seems that Gnome 3 is a very crippled desktop. It's not urgent as my main HD system is Ubuntu 10.04, but I would like to make the transition to Mint 12, but things will have to work a bit better than they do now. Perhaps you cannot add users to the live user USB version, I don't know. I just don't want to wipe out a good running 10.04 to speculate on what at the present time seems somewhat unproven. I don't want to complain, but I feel its important to start a list of all the issues in order that they might be addressed as time permits.
simpleblue
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Various Issues and Bugs with Mint 12 Final - Add Yours

Post by simpleblue »

You did not download the final because it's not out yet. Sorry to tell you this.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Not sure if this is meant to be a (poor) attempt at humour or just a gripe? Either way I would recommend users to ignore and not rise to the bait, this is not the place to report issues, real or imagined.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

also...if you are running live you really cant install anything
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit
Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joe_Linux »

It seems all the responses are dead wrong. First of all if this is not the place to report issues, please direct me to the proper place as the issues I mentioned are important issues. Secondly as to whether or not I have Mint 12 final, it is hard to say. It was reported yesterday that it was showing up on some mirrors. I know Mint 12 final was not available from the Mint website. Finally for the person who says you cannot install programs to the live USB you are absolutely incorrect. When a USB stick is created with Ubuntu a persistence file is created and I was actually able to install and use several programs from the repositories. One thing I know doesn't work right is adding an actual named user. You can add the a user with administrative privileges, but the user doesn't really get them as you need to know the password for the live user to log out, and I don't know what that is.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

remoulder wrote:Not sure if this is meant to be a (poor) attempt at humour or just a gripe? Either way I would recommend users to ignore and not rise to the bait, this is not the place to report issues, real or imagined.
Yep, Low Hanging Fruit.
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Joe_Linux wrote:The System Monitor extension crowded out the clock so I could not see it any more.
This is the issue of if-you-add-a-lot-of-things-to-the-panel-you'll-run-out-of-space.
Supposedly you are supposed to be able to add applets to the upper panel with <Alt> + <Right Click> on the panel,
No you are not. You can do that in e.g. MATE, not in Gnome Shell. In MGSE you add things to panels through extensions.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joe_Linux »

bimsebasse wrote:
Joe_Linux wrote:The System Monitor extension crowded out the clock so I could not see it any more.
This is the issue of if-you-add-a-lot-of-things-to-the-panel-you'll-run-out-of-space.
Supposedly you are supposed to be able to add applets to the upper panel with <Alt> + <Right Click> on the panel,
No you are not. You can do that in e.g. MATE, not in Gnome Shell. In MGSE you add things to panels through extensions.

I only added two extensions to the upper panel and the clock was gone. I did do it through extensions provided from "webupd8". Seriously, what kind of system is it that cannot add some small widgets to the upper panel? I'm glad Clem added an actual menu and a working taskbar at the bottom; but pray to Jesus, Gnome 3 needs some true functionality. Describing it as a "desktop environment seems to be an oxymoron.
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Again, the system monitor extension takes up a lot of space and eats into panel neighbours if you're on a small screen or have a clock in the middle or other extensions already added. It's not an issue or a Gnome 3 bug, it's things taking up much vertical space taking up much vertical space. The system monitor extension can be modified to take up less space - when I tested it I had only CPU and RAM displayed in it - it still wasn't a thing of beauty and it still bumped into my weather extension, though.

MATE would seem a better match for you, have you tried it?
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joe_Linux »

bimsebasse wrote:Again, the system monitor extension takes up a lot of space and eats into panel neighbours if you're on a small screen or have a clock in the middle or other extensions already added. It's not an issue or a Gnome 3 bug, it's things taking up much vertical space taking up much vertical space. The system monitor extension can be modified to take up less space - when I tested it I had only CPU and RAM displayed in it - it still wasn't a thing of beauty and it still bumped into my weather extension, though.

No because I was running just on a USB stick, and didn't know the default live user password. I will try Mate as soon as I can. I'm traveling to Hawaii tomorrow so I need to pack up my computer and get moving. I'm sure someone can write a system monitor that isn't 6 inches long. By the way, didn't you mean in actuality horizontal space? And by the way, I really appreciate your input and feedback.
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

Oh yes, horizontal - there is an alternative system monitor extension for gnome shell which displays only in the overview, it's the ugliest most out of place thing imaginable in a Gnome Shell environment but it doesn't crowd out anything.

It's on this list: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/10/7-be ... stall.html
Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joe_Linux »

bimsebasse wrote:Oh yes, horizontal - there is an alternative system monitor extension for gnome shell which displays only in the overview, it's the ugliest most out of place thing imaginable in a Gnome Shell environment but it doesn't crowd out anything.

It's on this list: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/10/7-be ... stall.html
Thanks, I think i have a bad USB startup disk as some of the stuff seems to be broken, I tried to log into Mate but it keeps bringing me back to Gnome 3 Shell. I presume Mate looks more like Gnome 2. What are Classic Gnome and Classic Gnome without effects? They don't do anything either except bring me back to MGSE. I'll redo my USB stick and get back to you later. Thanks for the good chat. There is a lot to learn about this new system. Your comments are most helpful.
Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joe_Linux »

bimsebasse wrote:Again, the system monitor extension takes up a lot of space and eats into panel neighbours if you're on a small screen or have a clock in the middle or other extensions already added. It's not an issue or a Gnome 3 bug, it's things taking up much vertical space taking up much vertical space. The system monitor extension can be modified to take up less space - when I tested it I had only CPU and RAM displayed in it - it still wasn't a thing of beauty and it still bumped into my weather extension, though.

Okay, redid my USB stick, created a JL user, and logged into MATE. It's pretty nice. How do you create an additional top panel? Never mind. I just figured it out. As long as MATE is stable, it seems good enough. Thank you for suggesting it. Using Mate seems easier than fighting with Gnome 3
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

I've said this before but LM12 really needs a "Choose login session" dialog window in the installation process - so many users would be happier in MATE and it's not obvious to people who don't browse forums and blogs where to change the login session or indeed that you can change to a classic session through MATE.
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

you can add things but are limited.when running live i added b43firmware an fwcutter for wifi tried installing things like ubuntu tweak and was a failure.it only lets you add certain things.as far as the mate i know you have to be updated to get it running due to the bug
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joe_Linux »

podagee wrote:you can add things but are limited.when running live i added b43firmware an fwcutter for wifi tried installing things like ubuntu tweak and was a failure.it only lets you add certain things.as far as the mate i know you have to be updated to get it running due to the bug
Here's something really weird. I tried to install Glipper to an added upper panel in MATE and I couldn't get it to work, although Glipper was on the bottom panel by itself when I did an apt-get install glipper. I logged out, shutdown, rebooted into the live USB stick and it came into the live user mode - Gnome 3 by itself. Low and behold, the original Glipper is on the upper taskbar in Gnome 3, and it looks exactly like it did in Gnome 2. So it is possible to have the original applets running on the Gnome 3 upper panel; the only catch is I have no idea how to actually do it. This was just a complete fluke. I'm wondering if the orginal system monitor can somehow make it to the top panel of Gnome 3? Interestingly the Glipper is actually working whereas the Gnome 3 equivalent extension didn't work previously. If I knew how to take a screen shot, I would. It's really curious.
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

take a screenshot by pressing PrntScrn.thats weird that you install and then reboot and its there
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joe_Linux »

podagee wrote:take a screenshot by pressing PrntScrn.thats weird that you install and then reboot and its there
No kidding. I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 at the moment. I'll do the screen shot thing after I get to Hawaii, as I really have too much to do to keep fooling with it. But trust me it did happen, and it is there.
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

you coming to hawaii?thats awesome thats where i live.
and as to the response that i am wrong at what ive said earlier,i honestly dont see how you could install things off of a live cd/usb since its only running off the cd/usb and there is no memory space for it.i could see if it were on the hard drive but its not.as i said there is a limitation to what you can install.maybe the usb would be different because it still has storage on the usb stick,but,as far as a live disc i dont see it possible.i dont know everything about linux but i know enough and thats something i do know.
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Joe_Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Joe_Linux »

podagee wrote:you coming to hawaii?thats awesome thats where i live.
and as to the response that i am wrong at what ive said earlier,i honestly dont see how you could install things off of a live cd/usb since its only running off the cd/usb and there is no memory space for it.i could see if it were on the hard drive but its not.as i said there is a limitation to what you can install.maybe the usb would be different because it still has storage on the usb stick,but,as far as a live disc i dont see it possible.i dont know everything about linux but i know enough and thats something i do know.
You would not be able to install to a live CD, but you can install to a live USB if you create a persistence file with Ubuntu's start up disk creator, under System -> Administration. I have a 4 gig persistence file on an 8 gig USB stick. Unetbootin has no provision for a persistence file as far as I know. What island do you live on? I'm going to Kailua on Oahu.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”